Monday, August 19, 2013

Recap: Endless 8 Part 3

Endless 8 Part 3. And here my troubles begin.

Once again, Kyon is watching a ball game. It's clear I'm going to need a beverage stronger than my usual poison for watching this anime.

Now, Kyon is anticipating Haruhi's shenanigans. Still, that won't be enough. I might not survive with Haruhi. I'd have a better chance with one of the Diclonus from Elfen Lied (I had a dream where I dated one once.).

The phone rings, and Haruhi is on the other end again.

There's a man answering...

They're meeting at the station again.


 She again says to bring a swimsuit and lots of money. I notice that the game mentions that a player got sent to Cuba. I just thought of something: my attempt to understand this arc has pretty much become The Bay of Pigs of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Kyon is aware of what will happen next. So am I: I am about to continue watching an arc that will make the Johto arc of Pokémon, the Namek saga of Dragon Ball Z, the Apis arc of One Piece and the Bount arc of Bleach all look like Sunday afternoon picnics.

Kyon is at the station again, and he's once again told he's late.



 They're again making a beeline for the pool. Haruhi says they will never get back the time they lost. That's a surprisingly accurate statement for those who watch this arc.

This theme song is already wearing thin. I'm listening to a lot of other music to help write these recaps.

They have reached the pool, and Kyon is tired out. 4 minutes into episode 3. Pull it together, Steven.

At least Haruhi is relatively pretty, despite her status as a psychotic wench.

She dives in with a massive splash.

This is what people who worked on this arc did when they read the feedback it got.



 She loves the water. I notice the focus has changed on the picture. I don't know if that's me or the anime. I'll believe either one at this point.












Kyon asks what's wrong with Koizumi. Koizumi just brushes it off.

The rest of their visit to the pool is done in still frames. Just as well, my screencaps replicate the feeling of this.

Kyon once again says this is more of a communal pool than a public pool. I already explained that those are effectively synonyms, making your statement as redundant as this cockamamie season.

As Kyon looks at Yuki, he gets the strange feeling again. It's perfectly normal for a boy your age, Kyon. Just make sure nobody calls attention to your pants when it happens.

Haruhi introduces her brigade members again. OK. In Azumanga Daioh, when I watched it, we get to see the characters grow more and show their traits in ways that endear you to them and make it so you really feel for them when the series ends; and stay with you. Here, it feels like I barely know anything about the SOS Brigade, and that they haven't really developed that much. When I finished the original series, they left so little an impression on me that I forgot about the series, and could only remember a couple actions that really set me off.

Now, they're back at the restaurant. OK, time for a good drink and some tunes to go with it.









The plan is the same.

Once again, Haruhi calls and wakes Kyon.

They're going shopping for Yukatas again.


They're stunning, and Kyon likes this again. You know, this seems like a pitch for a paper doll dress-up book for this anime, and they decided to make an arc out of it. If you want to make a dress-up game, make a dress-up game. Don't screw over your fans by giving them this!









Kyon still likes Mikuru. His face is one I won't be making for some time. Now you got me doing it, you piece of crap.







So, they go to the Bon festival.


We're going to party, Karamu, fiesta forever! Come on and sing along, all night long!


Yuki is looking at the masks again. More tokusatsu superheroes, this time there are Shines and Bob-ombs from Mario.










I'm not sure what it is this time. At least she's wearing it on her face now.





Now, it's time for fireworks again.



Then, they're going to catch cicadas again. When Kyon asks about the homework, Haruhi again mentions she did it already. I still think it's the key.

After that, Kyon says he continues to have no idea what's going on. I'm used to that feeling, since I still have 5 1/2 episodes of this to go through; and the whole thing feels like an out of body experience.





Kyon feels like he's dying of a heatstroke. If only I were so lucky.

The pay is the suits again, and this time, Kyon looks like he's having an aneurysm.

Mommy, why are there midi-chlorians in my spaghetti?


Exhausted, all he can do is ribbit. Here's the screencap to prove it. 







 That night, Kyon answers his phone with a resounding "dammit."


It's Mikuru, saying that something terrible has happened. Koizumi then says to come over.


Mikuru still can't return to the future.



Koizumi says they're still in the loop of time. He describes it as an endless summer.

Koizumi is still trying to convince Kyon that this is real. Of course, Kyon doesn't. Given all the bullshit they go through, this is still not going to be an easy task.

Mikuru is still claiming her excuse is "classified information." Of course it is. 5 1/3 episodes to go.

Koizumi tells of how the world reverts back to August 17 after two weeks, and that Haruhi is the key. He thinks that there's something she regrets.

Kyon says the situation is hopeless on a galactic scale. He then remarks on how happy Koizumi is, and Koizumi says he's solved it. He claims that the feelings of despair are from when the loop reset. I don't think that's it. I doubt he's solved this whole thing this early.

Koizumi says the reason they feel this is because they're in Haruhi's inner circle. If that's the case, I'd make tracks for Siberia.

Kyon then asks if Haruhi knows she's doing this. Koizumi says she doesn't, and it would be bad if she did. Why? The original series said that if Haruhi is unhappy, she'll end all life as we know it. I'm sorry. Even with that on the table, I still find her to be an insufferable trollop. I would actually find death and utter nothingness to be preferable to being with her. I am personally surprised that people call Ferris Bueller sociopathic when Haruhi is even worse about manipulating the goodwill of people around her and conning people to get her way.







They're stargazing again, and Haruhi once again wants to look for UFOs.



Haruhi and Mikuru are passed out on the balcony again.








 Kyon and Koizumi wonder what Haruhi wants to do. Koizumi again suggests embracing Haruhi. This time, Kyon doesn't assault him. They just kind of talk about the idea of who would do it before they again run through a torrent of events.




Once again, the batting center, fireworks show, and goby fishing happen again.


They have their tests of courage and watch some movies. By the way, all this happens in still frames. They went to the beach and went bowling.


YEAH! YEAH! OH YEAH! WHAT CONDITION MY CONDITION WAS IN!



Even after all they did, Kyon knows this won't satisfy Haruhi. Not much can. I get the feeling she enjoys dickering with them because of her own lack of confidence. This whole thing is just an act. She may have the qualities of a god, but she's absolutely insane, and I would have taken the opportunity to get out of dodge a long time ago.

They're back at the restaurant. Once again, Haruhi asks if there's anything else they want to do. Well, I don't know, how about: watch a different anime, learn a second language, read to children, help out at a homeless shelter, get Star Trek Into Darkness on iTunes, go see how cheese is made, and press the stop button, to name a few.

Kyon knows Haruhi still isn't satisfied. Conveniently, this screencap portrays her with a very smug look on her face. OK, I'm convinced. Haruhi is not a fun-loving, eager, manic pixie dream girl. She's a sadistic, mentally unstable sociopath who enjoys the suffering of those around her and everyone only lets her do what she wants because they truly are afraid of what she'll do if they don't.












As Haruhi leaves, Kyon gets the feeling again. It's probably because most people involved with this are thoroughly hazy. At least I hope they are. Also, I notice the music seems to be turning into a Philip Glass melody.











Once again, it's August 31, and Kyon hasn't even started his homework.











This time, he just falls over his bed, feeling even more depressed than before; as am I.


"Endless 8" is where the whole premise of this arc really starts to wear thin. It's clear that this wasn't a compelling enough story for 2 episodes, let alone 8. Even more, some people even admit to liking this arc, even suggesting its premise was clever  and the details were fun despite the fact that it's been so roundly criticized; and got defensive when I called them on it. We will talk about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment