Thursday, August 29, 2013

Recap: Endless 8 Part 5

You know how this goes now. Kyon is watching the game on TV, he's not into it, Haruhi calls him and tells him to bring a swimsuit and lots of money to the station.

The last two recaps were my rebuttal to the statements people made about it being clever. Now, the rest of the of the recaps will be analyzing every aspect about this arc, with the screencaps being there to list the cosmetic differences between each episode.

As the theme song begins, I'm also going to be listing my usual routine for doing these Endless 8 recaps as well as elaborating more on the statements I made last time. For starts, I am now realizing the oddity of name-dropping my Reeboks last time, as the first couple shots of the opening are the SOS Brigade stomping their feet, a lot of attention has been devoted to their footwear and feet in this arc; and the manga on which it was based was published in a magazine called The Sneaker!

Also, depending on where I am, I generally follow the rules of wearing shoes (with my sweet kicks) and a shirt (people have been seeing more and commenting on my novelty shirts in town) to enter a public place. Due to the record heat this August, I often write my recaps shirtless. Even though the houses I have lived and visited in Oregon are indeed in the US, many impose a Japanese-esqué "no shoes in the house" rule. It's nothing too much, it's often done for a practical reason of not tracking mud in the house when it starts the usual rainy season. As such, I commonly write recaps barefoot or in socks. If I just have to do something like take out the dogs or the trash, I slip on my Crocs to do it. Look at me, I'm rambling trying to take my mind off this. I get the feeling I could do well at writing my own slice of life series with how much I've indoctrinated myself to the tropes surrounding it.

He reaches the station, and I've entered the next level of hell. Well, if I'm going to be going down there, I might as well enjoy myself doing it.

They're going to the pool, and they're doing more summer vacation-related things as summer is winding down. I think I'm going to do that by enjoying myself as much as I can once I'm finished with this.


They're at the pool, Kyon is exhausted. Haruhi dives in, introduces her two new brigade members, I take a swig of Coke. There's one of my cosmetic changes to my routine: I'm drinking another brand of soda. Now that I've chosen my new major thanks to my old one getting cut from the budget; I will be registering and shopping for back-to-school clothes and supplies (apart from the usual paper, notebooks, writing untensils, I plan on getting a new computer. My old one runs fine, but the disc drive doesn't work anymore and the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. Besides, I've been wanting one with a bigger hard drive, a faster processor, and a newer operating system for some time). I know I've been rambling a lot about my personal life, but it's become clear that in order to talk about this arc, I must familiarize myself with its idiosyncrasies and follow them. As such, it's one drink after another, changing into fresh underwear and socks for each time I write and post, listening to music, having tabs of anime I actually like open, and making sure I am in a state of mind that's apathetic enough to not care how bad it is; but aware enough to form coherent thought and type paragraph after paragraph of detailed notes and take screencaps you don't have to suffer like me. Wow. My train of thought can go on a long way. The next song I'm putting on will confirm that analogy.

I know the plan, so I'll save you this time, because you know it too. They're at the restaurant too, drinking and talking and acting much happier than I am.


He takes a whisky drink, he takes a vodka drink! He takes a lager drink, he takes a cider drink!



Now they're at the Bon festival (they just cut right to it this time). The usual deal of eating takoyaki and Yuki wanting a superhero mask from all the ones on sale. Being an alien, she doesn't know how to wear it. This time it's on one of the diagonals of her head.

Now they show it from the perspective of the mask, the fish, and the other vendors. I am now able to identify each time an event occurs, like Kyon and Yuki can. I would honestly love it if this anime were about Yuki. Yuki can maintain a serious stature in even the silliest and most mind-numbing situations in the same way that Batman can. Kyoto Animation; if you keep making Haruhi shows and merchandise, I would be willing to watch and pay for an anime called The Fantastic Yuki Nagato. Even the channel where I'm watching this likes Yuki best! (Note: if you feel like wasting a couple hours of your life and pounding your liquor cabinet; I Am Yuki Nagato on YouTube will be waiting for you. She provides the infamous arc, you provide the bottle of Jack.)



Even though I still don't think this arc is clever in the face of overwhelming criticism and fan backlash (a handful of positive thoughts is not consistent with the majority being outraged and disappointed with Kyoto Animation. The positive comments on YouTube videos of this arc are outnumbered by negative ones by almost a 10-to-1 margin.), I will admit that Kyoto Animation at least made it pretty. However, that doesn't change the fact that the script has had minimal changes at best to it.

They're watching fireworks again at the festival, and then they set off some of their own. Kyon asks about the summer homework, Haruhi replies she did hers in 3 days. I just have this feeling that's going to be the catalyst for the loop. I hope I'm there when it's revealed, and I hope I'm pissed off enough to immediately go watch a bunch of Soul Eater and Gurren Lagann.

There's a snail watching that, and he's yawning.
Kyon asks why Haruhi so smart, and says that heaven gave her the best stat values. I'm telling you, it's Hell that she comes from. As a sociopath and a person that knows how to attract people and rally them to her cause; she would make a fantastic vision of the devil if this were a horror anime.

They go cicada-catching, and Haruhi catches the most. I take another big sip of my Coke; because this arc isn't getting any better in the second half. For all intents and purposes, it is indeed getting worse.

At least the insects Yuki catches each time are unique. This time, Yuki has caught a yanbaru long-armed scarab. This arc taught me an astronomer I had never heard of, and a breed of insect that I didn't know about. You get one, Kyoto Animation.






They go to the edge, and Haruhi lets the cicadas go with Kyon giving his Pandora's box analogy. This time they're at a temple with shrines. I occasionally talk with friends online about devices, tropes, and locations used in Super Sentai and Power Rangers. I notice that applies to the whole genre of tokusatsu, and anime in many ways. This arc has taken much-deserved flak for only making cosmetic changes to the same story; but that generally applies to any given form of art. Artists depict the characteristics of their time and place, and use the works that inspired them to create something of their own. This arc may be several levels of Hell; but it is genuinely well-made despite the deficiencies of its script.

Now we're at the frogs in front of the supermarket again! Even Kyon is getting pissed off by this point. His voice actor has a noticeable shift in octave and tone as the scene begins for the 5th time.









Taking off the hot suits; Kyon likens it to Unit-0 getting hit by a laser. Now, I think Gundam 00 is another Gundam anime I will watch when I'm finished with this, and finished with Gundam Wing. I'm getting to a point in Gundam Wing where the characters are developing mental illnesses; as many people who watch this arc do. I write this as a person who has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder; and successfully graduated high school with the help of medication, therapy, and a good IEP.

After once again finding out the pay is the suits, they don't show Kyon's face till the scene is almost over, with him just having his arms crossed and his expression in a fantastic pout. It's every bit as good as one you can find in most anime. I've often had trouble gauging emotions; but a great thing about anime is that the range of expression is only limited by how the animators are willing to draw a face. They can be distorted to proportions of Tex Avery and Looney Tunes levels of eye-popping and huge mouths. The face fault is one of the definitive tropes of anime; meaning that even a Western anime parody whose research is minimal will include it; for better or worse.










Once again, Kyon is woken up by a phone call from Mikuru in the middle of the night. Another little thing that I will mention: I have gotten varying amounts of sleep working on writing these recaps of both success and duration. One thing I've noticed upon starting college and writing this blog: it has a way of changing your sleep schedule. Often, you get less sleep than you like or you did when you were younger. Sometimes, many times, you might not sleep at all. Many fiction make this a key part of the story; whether it's a single plot point or reference in an episode or the entire plot of an episode or movie.


"Is your fridge running?" "Why? Are you taking a survey?"


After Koizumi finishes, Kyon rushes to the station on his bike. Once again, Mikuru is heartbroken that she can't return to the future. Her hair is a mess, she's dressed in a manner that the proverbial fashion police would see as a moving violation, and she's rambling and crying her eyes out. This is the exact same way that some of the transients in town behave. Despite all the suggestions I've made to watch this drunk or stoned; the arc itself does create similar effects to alcohol or heavy drugs.







Now it's gotten to the part with Koizumi's explanation of how they're repeating the loop. This screencap shows a clock at the station at around 1:53AM, another reference to the loop repeating. Also, since I have used all the pop singles from the Back to the Future movies, I shall now use Alan Silvestri's iconic theme; as this could be the time where someone, somewhere tries to hang a clock, hits their head, and comes up with the idea for the flux capacitor.







 Koizumi again reveals that Mikuru realized what was going on. This is quite possibly one of the few types of torture that the government still allows under the Geneva conventions.


Now, I'm not kidding; Koizumi actually holds up his watch to confirm that they are indeed another cycle of the loop. It focuses on it for almost a full 20 seconds before it cuts to another angle. God, this anime may not use actual products (I've noticed they tweak real ones enough so they won't get sued); but this is the same way Michael Bay films a car or product that pays to have a spot in one of his movies.



It's August 17 to 31 repeating again. (sighs) I've got over 3000 songs, I've listened to a third of them in the writing process of this arc. Here's another; given that I've effectively turned my experience into my own little version of AMV Hell.



Kyon and Koizumi tell two bystanders that they're in the middle of a never-ending, endless summer. They laugh it off, something I know I cannot do easily.


All time is lost on September 1. I know I've lost a whole month on something that's only a little over 2 hours long. I am going to be in a state between joy, sorrow, and anger once this over. Here's a song that will exemplify that.



Kyon again asks who would believe that. I'm noticing that every time Koizumi explains the theory, Kyon goes back and forth between believing it or not believing it. It tends to happen when I'm watching this in hot August weather; subsisting off a diet of Mountain Dew Code Red and Benadryl. I knew this arc was shit before I started watching it, so I'm making the most of it.



Mikuru once again brings up her classified information bit. You know, this anime is ostensibly a comedy! Torturing your cast and your viewers isn't funny! It's sad and cruel! Making them cross the despair event horizon every time the loop starts over? This is just something that a sociopath would enjoy! Haruhi Suzumiya may be the biggest unintentional villain protagonist in the last 20 years of anime!



As Kyon grabs another drink, Koizumi goes into another ramble about the portion of time that has been ripped away. I'm also a bit of a Doctor Who fan, or Whovian. GIven that the newly-cast 12th Doctor, Peter Capaldi, is an older fellow who is well-known for his profane roles in other British television shows; I can only imagine the rant he would give upon witnessing this. I'll be looking forward to seeing what he brings to one of the most iconic science fiction franchises on TV. I imagine his doctor will tread the line on his age: he may be a curmudgeon that wants to return the days of his youth, or an adolescent trapped in an adult's body; with interests and behavior to match.


The way Koizumi moves and speaks, he seems very drunk or high. I know the Remote Island Syndrome implied teen drinking, but at least Superbad very realistically captured the average high school senior's intent to get wasted on liquor and beer and satisfy the animalistic desires of their raging hormones. It is a tradition that has dated far back as Ancient Egypt; as civilization was beginning to take form.


The usual bullplop with no one else knowing what's going on but them, as is the usual reaction for watching this. So many things I could do if I had the time and money. Instead, I'm watching a shitty arc on an anime that I don't like all that much. Thank goodness I have my second viewing of Durarara to look forward to. And I think I'll start its predecessor, Baccano as well.

Koizumi again points out that Haruhi is behind the suffering of them all. It's typical that a sociopath like her would enjoy the suffering of her peers. I hesitate to call them friends. Sure, they hang out with each other and do things they may enjoy; but the fact they're not enjoying it once they learn about the loop doesn't make it look that convincing. Or, perhaps it proves the maxim that "misery loves company."

Koizumi and Kyon then talk about Haruhi's desire not to let summer end and wonder if she feels regret. As I explained before, sociopaths generally aren't capable of feeling regret. They can understand how it might apply to someone, but they won't care or exploit others' feeling it in a way that benefits them (Note: When I started college, I took Psychology as an elective. I did OK in it, but I didn't continue because of not testing well and my own problems making the unit on suicide hard to swallow. The professor even said to go take a walk out the door if you can't handle it. Sure enough, I lasted roughly 4 minutes before I packed my backpack and spent the rest of class at one of the campus coffeehouses; nursing a mocha frappé and watching old episodes of Digimon. I'm adding that to the list of beverages to drink and anime to watch as my reward for doing this.).


Koizumi then says there's a desire to not let summer end. We all have that desire; but there is a limit to how much time and money you have in a given summer to do all the things you like, see all the people you like, and see all the movies you like. I managed to see most of the big tentpoles I wanted to; and change my mind about ones I didn't. As a huge mecha anime fan, I will try to find a theater that's showing Pacific Rim to make up for spurning it and dooming it to tanking against Grown-Ups 2. If there's any consolation, it has proven to be much bigger internationally, especially in countries like China and Japan where robots have an even bigger scientific and cultural presence than here. Seriously, every anime I've watched in the 14 years I've been watching it has had some sort of robot in it; even mundane fantastic high school slice of life anime Nichijou: My Ordinary Life (high school age girl Nano; who has a key in her back like a big wind-up toy and extremities that pop off and can be replaced with others; like those SH Figuarts hyper-articulated action figures.). I'm going to watch that again when I'm done too; and I recommend it. It's a much better slice of life anime, and better anime.

Once again, I lost my train of thought. That tends to happen when I've had a liter of Code Red and a couple Benadryl. Since I'm still feeling crappy, here's a song to reflect my general state of mind.


Same general outline of Koizumi trying to keep cheerful, Haruhi not being aware of what she's doing because she's pretty much a little girl trapped in a teenager's body; using her honed otherworldly powers to make life a living Hell for those who cross her, no matter the slight's actual weight. She's like the anime version of Sabrina if they managed to strip her of every sympathetic quality that made her such an effective change from the way she was in Pokémon Red and Blue. ... Hey, if I'm going to suffer, I might as well be comfortable. Here's a song that gives me a much better mood about this whole thing.




Yuki remembers everything. We have reached the 15,521st time. I know Yuki lists the outcome of each event in the loop, but I will be skipping this scene since you and I know how it goes. I will go over my recaps and list the outcome of each event I did to get through this tripe. Next scene!

 Of course, Kyon is aware and stops her.


Go past this part! In fact, never play this again!


 I haven't mentioned this in the other recaps, but I need to now that I'm in the second half and I'm trying to come up with things to make light of. Kyon deduces that the loop has gone on for the equivalent of 595 years; and uses the calculator on his phone to run the numbers. They are indeed correct. Time for another Groundhog Day comparison. By the time Bill Murray's character loses the will to live and attempts suicide in various ways, only to wake up the next morning to "I Got You Babe", he has been trapped in the loop for the equivalent of a year. I will tell you other aspects of the movie this arc is not paying homage to so much as brazenly stealing from it as I go through the second half; as they are relevant to the story. Also, here's "I Got You Babe" again. It's that movie and my usage of this song that Cher still drives a Rolls-Royce despite not touring or recording as much as she used to.




Stargazing time again; Haruhi wants to see Martians and UFOs, but Kyon does not.  Time for another MST3K clip of one of my favorite episodes.



Mikuru is looking over the balcony. She's picture-perfect, but she's trapped by a sociopathic "friend" and her beauty being exploited for the amusement of said sociopath.



Haruhi then does something else: she tells of how people on Mars live underground; but how commune of Earth will help make the place a destination popular for settling and tourism. That people will enthusiastically greet people on vacation with "Welcome to Mars!" Well, Haruhi, you don't know how right you are.



They only tell us that it's stargazing again at Yuki's apartment after the usual nonsense takes place. Of course, you've indoctrinated yourself to this formula; like you have with the formulas of many anime and TV shows much better than this. The way an artist interprets a formula reflects how they see the world. I get the feeling that the creator really hated working on this anime and the fans the original series got; so he wanted to give them a way of telling them that they were not well for being entertained by the show: by lampshading all the tropes it employed and cramming everything the viewer liked and hated into one package. It worked, given how many fans not only hated the arc, but vowed to never watch the anime again; and sold and/or destroyed all their Haruhi Suzumiya merchandise. It tends to be a common reaction whenever a fan is disappointed with an entry; so much that it irreparably damages their view of the franchise and they regret they ever enjoyed it. As an outsider who didn't like the original series and got sick of seeing her everywhere BEFORE I even watched it, I have no fandom of it to ruin. Before I do another run through of the events; here's a clip from a much funnier show to highlight my analogy.


Haruhi and Mikuru fall asleep again, and Koizumi and Kyon wonder just what it is she wants to do. To further my belief that Haruhi a sociopath; I shall forgo their banter and play a clip from my favorite movie.


Yuki looks forlornly at a plane in the sky. I wish I could see my family in other states more often. If I was rich, I'd hire a pilot and buy a plane to go see my family and see the world. I one day want to learn enough Japanese to hold a conservation and visit there.
 Sorry. One of the reasons I started this blog was to break the "weaboo" stereotype that many Western anime fans are often perceived as. I wanted to prove that we are not all Pocky-eating, Calpis-guzzling people who only want to watch subtitled versions of anime so we can proclaim our phrases for our favorite anime in the original Japanese and dismiss any non-Japanese animation as crap.

In fact, I much prefer the soft drinks and snacks that are sold readily at most stores in town; am willing to crack jokes at the expense at any target, even myself in my recaps; and while I share many time-tested favorites of many fans my age (I typically target 13-25-year-old fans; though I appreciate younger and older ones); I believe that a person is allowed to hold whatever view they want on an anime. By criticizing ones perceived as bad and praising ones perceived as good; you will earn the respect of your peers with similar views. However, I believe it is only then; when you can comfortably admit to liking an anime many don't like and hating one many love, that your status is truly confirmed as an unconventional, but confident and respected fan. In spite of what some may think, simply saying "this is good, that is bad, here is why" is not the same as taking the time to explain why you like or don't like something; and making arguments that are about genuine flaws or qualities of an anime as opposed to savaging something simply because you hate it for being that way that people will respect you. Trashing something based simply on your personal preferences will only make people angry at you and cost you many fans.


When a critic is deliberately going against the grain to shock and provoke; much of the value of the criticism is undermined by the critic's personal issues with the work cloud their judgment. While I still do not believe this is a good anime; I have chosen a target that is generally regarded as bad by the majority. I have found very few supporters of this arc, so I'm going to wrap up this episode real quick and get done with the last 3 or so episodes.

It's the general outline of them going fishing, going to the movies, and Kyon not stopping Haruhi from repeating the loop. I'm not even going to bother showing Kyon with his homework this time, as it's clear he has once again crossed the despair event horizon.

"Endless 8 Part 5" is where the premise begins to fall apart. You may very well not be able to tell what you're witnessing as you go through it. We still have 3 episodes to go, as well. I will try to get through them as soon as I can, so I will be able to get back to writing about anime I actually like or have other things to criticize. See you space cowboy.



No comments:

Post a Comment