Thursday, April 16, 2015

Recap: Memory Bread/Lost and Found Fishing Pond

Hello again. School has been incredibly busy this term; and retaking algebra has not helped matters. So, I think I’ll take things easy with this recap while I also detox from the double whammy of Code Geass R2 and IGPX; and it will be a while before I do more of either.


In the meantime; let’s talk Doraemon. This adorable cat is every bit as iconic in Japan as Mickey Mouse is here; so it’s only natural that I took a look at the recent dub aired on Disney XD. I also watched some of the older stories from the 1970s to get ready for this recap. So, let’s open it up. 

We get our first segment; a reimagining of one from the 1970s; “Memory Bread,” as Noby (Nobita in Japan) is in a tiff about his double whammy of English and Math tests on the same day. He can’t decide whether he should drink a pot of tea and stay up all night studying; or get a good night’s sleep and cram early in the morning.

I told them, "I can do Romance of the Three Kingdoms, I can be  a wonderful Lord Nobunaga," but no! What do I get? Code Geass R2!
It also turns out that in the dub, Noby and Doraemon are voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch and Mona Marshall; two reasonably big names in anime voice acting. Doraemon then pulls out the Anywhere Door and takes Noby to his school.

Essentially, the premise of the series involves various gadgets being used to solve everyday problems. As such: Hilarity ensues. Example: an “animal beam” turns Noby’s homeroom teacher into a gorilla. 

Back at home; Doraemon then pulls out the titular memory bread; enriched with all sorts of vitamins and minerals!

Noby, however; is skeptical about the idea. 


What next? Cognition Jelly?

He presses a slice onto Noby’s notebook. So it works like Silly Putty on pencil marks.

As Noby eats it, he promises that he will remember what he learned better.

This thing's bland as all get-out, just like IGPX!

Doraemon then quizzes Noby on some of his notes.

As their study session continues; Doraemon is less than amused by Noby’s suggestion of adding peanut butter to the bread to make it taste better.


"Peanut butter?" What do I look like, a tanuki?


Noby then decides to go study with others that are also taking the test. Some of the folk he sees are Sneech and Big G (Suneo and Giant in Japan). While they are technically bullies; again, much like Bulk and Skull, they’re not that good at it; and often rely on Noby and Doraemon to bail them out of trouble. 


While Sneech is voiced by Brian Babcock in the dub, Big G is voiced by Kaiji Tang. I haven’t seen too much of Babcock’s work; but Tang has been quite active in both anime and video games for playing very boorish and big characters (he voiced Dax in Mega Man NT Warrior; which I’ll probably be doing more of in the future). Naturally, he’s not looking forward to the test any more than Noby is.



I told them, "Teach, I was in Samurai Warriors for years! How many video games have you done?"

My writing process lately also involves me doing my own little version of Cinema Sins; so here’s a taste of how Jeremy has influenced me lately.



It's like the animation director said, "I want you to have this kid drinking juice, it'll make him look like more of an asshole."



Of course, Big G’s notebook is in less-than-desirable conditions from him studying everywhere; and I mean everywhere. Noby’s reaction is my own.


If this is how you study, I don't want to know how you have fun!


He then goes over to his friend Sue (Shizuoka in Japan); and begins working on his English there.


Oh soft, what light from yonder window breaks?


That’s not just a joke by the way: that’s actually some of the material they’re studying in this segment. It’s an old joke even in western media that elementary schoolchildren are assigned material that’s generally what I learned in high school.


To die, to sleep, no more!

Then, Noby decides to take a break and do some lighter reading; as well as have some fresh fruit served on a large, pointed stick.


Oh, Yotsuba Koiwai, how droll and witty can you be?


Even so; Noby has eaten close to a loaf of the memory bread when gets home for dinner on tempura night. It is here I must point there were attempts to move the setting stateside; as well as some cosmetic edits regarding things like money and text. The doriyaki buns that Doraemon favors became “yummy buns,” yet this very Japanese dish remained intact. I shall pair this image with Awkward Zombie’s take on the process with that on the table (thanks to Katie for pointing out how weird this is sometimes).









Be that as it may; Noby no longer has any more room for the bread after the fish tempura!


I can't do it! I've eaten fan fiction that tasted better than this material!



Doraemon decides to help him swallow; whether he likes it or not!


It puts the water down the hatch, or else it gets the bread again!


The next morning; Noby is caught up the bathroom, much to the disappointment of his father. 


What is that boy doing in there?

Apparently, all that Noby has memorized has quite literally gone down the drain and devolved into gibberish! 


Mastodon Lion Thunderzord Power!
So; the segment ends with Noby and Doraemon doing last minute cramming while his mother looks on. She says, no matter how she looks at it, it’s weird. That’s what anyone says who isn’t familiar with the medium; but I love it anyway!



The next segment; “Lost and Found Fishing Pond”, begins with everyone fishing. Noby doesn’t care for it all that much; largely because he isn’t that good at it.


Canned fish shows up to mock bad fisherman at convenient moment.


Returning home; Noby dismisses the whole thing as barbaric. Now slicing up eyeballs with a zanpakuto or Power Ax, that’s where the sport is!

He then realizes he forgot his mother’s bucket; and asks Doraemon to help find it without going back to the creek. Doraemon then presents the titular “Lost and Found Fishing Pond.” I think I used to have one of these.

He searches out one bucket; but grabs Big G’s instead!


This isn't mine! Mine is still in the can!



Doraemon then tells Noby he has to be very specific. So it’s like Google: you have to know exactly what you’re looking for.

He does recover the bucket he is looking for; as well as get Big G to think Sneech is pranking him. Next; he’s looking for his giraffe pen, which takes a bit more effort in angling.

He then pulls out the pen inside a pair of pants.

44-inch waist with balloon seat? Dockers? Uh-oh.
The pants are Big G’s; as Sneech is aghast to find out.


What are you looking at? Haven't you ever seen briefs in XXXL before?

While I have pointed out before I’m not the biggest fan of this joke; it works in this context, and the reason I think others like it; is because it runs on comedic misfortune. The laughs inevitably come at the expense of someone else. It’s something many of my influences enjoy as well (such as Doug Walker and his character of the Nostalgia Critic).


Ironically-named flower shop shows up to mock debagging victim at the last minute.

He chases Sneech; blaming him for this ordeal; but is spotted by a couple schoolgirls by the fish merchant. 




He tries to cover himself with a flounder; which draws the ire of the merchant.


Keep my fish out of your shorts, kid! I already had to ban Suzaku from here!

Noby then decides to look for a quarter he lost around the neighborhood.


My boy, are you going to keep doing this when some poor fellow's trousers are on your floor?
It’s at this moment when Big G spots a telephone; and hopes to happen upon some change so he can call his folks to bring him more pants.


I'll be darned if I make my family accept a collect call in my underwear!
Instead; he is ridiculed by some smaller children about his ordeal. You know what this comedy of errors needs? The Entertainer. 


It's wash day! Nothing clean!


He uncovers a whole lot of change! Cha-ching! Doraemon just gives him the quarter he lost while he takes the rest to the police. Yeah, generally the way that works is different in Japan. While it is preferable to turn in lost money here; usually, if you find money on the side of the road; it’s officially public property. 


You'll get nothing and like it!



He decides to take the pond to Sue’s house; where Sneech is hiding out to mock him.



I've seen better fishing on my Dreamcast!

Sneech then decides to play a prank on Noby; taking advantage of the sub dimensional properties of the pond. It’s bigger on the inside. 


Allonsy!
Big G, is of course; raging mad about his stolen pants.


This newspaper doesn't go with this sweater at all! Rather keep strolling in my underpants than have Rand Paul cover me!

Sneech then goes to the vacant lot (unofficially referred to as Sneech Field) to retrieve some of his property from Big G. 

Speaking of which, Big G gets home; but decides against putting on a fresh pair of pants in favor of getting back at the supposed culprit.


I want whoever's ass I'm kicking to see the legs that do it!



As Sneech expresses incredulity at a rubber duck; Big G decides to have a go at him. 


You sure got a purty mouth there Sneech! I bet you squeal real nice!

As Noby and Doraemon realize that they took Big G’s pants; they shudder at the thought of seeing him walking around without them. Could be worse. He also voices a commander of Nudist Beach on Kill la Kill; Trigger, who often walks around stark naked!


Sure enough, Big G has beaten up Sneech for his supposed slight. I wish I could say Sneech fought the good fight; but fishing is no fairy tale.



Noby ultimately decides you should mess with a man’s pants.

So, we close on the everybody laughs ending as Big G decides to let the fruit out of the loom; since it’s 70 and sunny!

“Memory Bread/Lost and Found Fishing Pond” are solid ways to introduce Doraemon to westerners. The series is pretty good in any language; and the bits from this episode are often used in the promos. I would definitely recommend watching it.

Also, since Level-5 is on track to bring Yo-Kai Watch stateside by spring 2016; I now have a reason to officially recap it. I’ve been meaning to branch out more; so hello new target practice! I have at least three episodes in mind; to be done at various points during the year. See you space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment