Monday, April 27, 2015

Recap: Jinbanyan's Secret


A lot of you probably aren’t going to like this. I understood the risk when I started this blog; and have dealt with this mentality for some time. It is, however, once again time to prove I have an opinion of my own. I don’t like Yo-Kai Watch. 


If my piece on the franchise before did not make that clear; then I think it will be after this. While the animation itself is quite good; I feel the story is not making creative use of the Yokai they have at their disposal, and they’re not really written like characters so much as products. It also really doesn’t help that even though there are some interesting characters and stories (such as the Komasan and Jinmenken segments); every time that Keita Amano (tentatively known as Nathan Adams for the planned US release) is onscreen, I feel disappointed. 

On top of that; the series is structured in a manner that forgoes learning more about the Yokai and how they affect the world in favor of selling toys and telling jokes nonstop. Even so; the popularity has grown to the point where it’s high time for a man like me to express his backlash with the series.

However; instead of my usual style, like with IGPX; I’m going to take a different approach. This anime honestly doesn’t deserve my anger. If all I have been given is cold and calculating; then that is what it shall receive in return. I shall also take the opportunity to point out that the series is essentially wasting its potential with the path it’s taking. To illustrate this, let’s open up “Jinbanyan’s Secret.”

We open on one of the mascots of the franchise, Whisper; greeting us and telling us to enjoy the world of Yo-Kai without reserve. Too late for that, buddy. 

He goes onto say the hero of today’s story has a painful memory that he tried to forget. “Hero” is a bit of a strong word. Let’s just settle for “protagonist.”

He then wonders what it could be. I know I’m going to need a Spotless Mind after this.

This leads into the theme song; which keeps repeating the phrase “laugh out loud.” I don’t even smile watching this. You’re wasting your time. 

We open proper on Whisper and Jinbanyan exercising while Keita reads. I had to determine for a long time how to approach this; and not just because I didn’t have a tangible release date. At this point, I’ll just take what I can get with “spring 2016” being the ETA (there may be something more concrete at E3, I don’t know. We’ll see.).




Keita gets annoyed at this, and yells at the Yokai over the whole thing. Our hero, ladies and gentlemen! This is one of many cases where Keita acts in this manner towards the Yokai he encounters. If it’s not that, it’s being on the receiving end of the misfortune they cause.
This guy is supposed to be a role model? He’s a bit of a douche.

Whisper is telling the audience about something that happened in a much weaker version of this story in the pilot. Observe this screen cap for proof.


It's incredibly redundant how redundant this statement is.
Jinbanyan, not amused by Keita’s behavior, angrily storms off. You know, Jinbanyan, you’ve actually got a point there.

We then see our female lead, Fumiko. Now THIS lady should have been our protagonist. If I do play these games, I know who I’m playing as. 




Keita wonders if he can just summon him with his medal; asking if it’s too complicated. On the contrary; it’s deceptively simple. While Whisper tries to convince him of Jinbanyan’s support; frankly, I don’t think he deserves your support.

Whisper then turns around and says it’s better not to feel depressed about the moody cat being. I don’t really have feelings of any kind for you guys, so that’s fine.

Then, two more Yokai, Gin and Kin decide to teach everyone a lesson by turning back time.

It turns out that Jinbanyan was once a real cat that was known as Akamaru; who lived with a young girl named Emi. While we got a bit of this from the pilot; this would have been a stronger way to introduce the character, and I’ll get more into why soon. 




Angry at her parents reaction to her test, she bikes off with Akamaru towards the riverbank. 

Emi then goes shopping; capped off with a trip to the ice cream parlor.


It's like the animation director said; "I want you to have this girl eating ice cream; it'll make her look like more of an asshole."

Here’s a bit that’s actually somewhat creepy; but I really wish I were watching Soul Eater right now. It seems in the netherworld; this is one of many works that makes use of the celestial bureaucracy. While it is somewhat amusing; it’s this part that makes me doubtful if this series can succeed in the US the way it has in Japan. Given how the pitch is almost the polar opposite of the Japanese one; I smell extensive edits and rewrites being made. 


Not what I expected when I said "Beetlejuice" three times.

Case in point: now that we actually know what Akamaru was like before he became Jinbanyan, I can make the argument that this would have made a better introduction to the series. Getting hit by a car is one thing; but it’s more effective when we know about the character that it’s happened to rather than just having it happen out of context.

So, this time; Jinbanyan actually died saving his master rather than just by accident. Don’t get me wrong; a Cerebus Retcon is an effective way of making a story work better, but why not just have this be the pilot? We don’t really need 24 episodes of slapstick and puns coming at the expense of characterization and story. You could have this open the series; and poof: we’re off to the races.


Gin and Kin are disappointed with the results; as I am, and wonder what to report to someone named Motojime. The script is garbage; but it sells toys, so you’re solid. 





So, we close on Keita wondering what happened to his pudding, saying he didn’t eat it. Oh, you eat it big time; Keita.

“Jinbanyan’s Secret” is a prime example of how Yo-Kai Watch has potential as a concept; but I do not share the enthusiasm others have towards it. This episode demonstrates how the Yokai can be touching and moving rather than merely being flashy playthings. Yet, the series before and since has not really done anything to sway me from my favorite series.

A large part of this also stems from the fact that Keita is really not all that interesting or likable as a character. I didn’t even show you the more egregiously bad behavior of his; since I wanted to ease into doing recaps of this. Believe me, there’ll be another time for me to dunk on this with my usual style.

In essence; I must once again point out that unless I do genuinely find something amusing, I like to be challenged a bit more; which is why I doubt the series will be successful here the way it is in Japan. I must also express my disdain for the fact that not only did the anime outperform a TV airing of A Letter to Momo; a brilliant work about Yokai eightfold, but the games have outsold Ni No Kuni; Level-5’s amazing game with many of the same themes. I recommend you go play that instead, since it’s already out here and better.

I will give the anime this: the animation is indeed high-quality. The angles, lighting, and the way the characters move is quite impressive. It’s just a shame that amount of energy couldn’t be channeled into the script or characterization in other episodes.

With this on the table; I really don’t think the series will do the massive numbers that it has in Japan. Not with Level-5’s Inazuma Eleven being effectively buried here despite being one of their bigger names there as proof. Digimon Fusion just barely managed to get a second season (not counting the possibility of Young Hunters Leaping Through Time being dubbed); and even One Piece took about 10 years to undo the damage a certain unnamed party did.

As for the games: it’ll be in the kids’ hands; like it is there. The year is looking to be quite competitive among my demographic; with Star Wars Battlefront, Batman Arkham Knight; Yoshi Woolly World, Guitar Hero Live and Rock Band 4 being among many anticipated titles. Only time will tell if the series will be a smash in the vein of The Avengers or crash and burn like John Carter.

I will deal with this more at another time. Right now; I need to mull over what I’m going to do to detox from this. My word, I need a stiff drink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment