Thursday, May 7, 2015

Recap: Slaking Kong

Hello again. Since that Yo-Kai Watch recap took a lot out of me; it will be a while before I look at the other episodes I have lined up. School has also been very busy; as well as me taking a position on the school paper. Nevertheless, I did make the decision to detox a while ago. 

With that on the table; as well as my 3DS coming back from the shop for me to work more on my OR/AS Pokédex; it’s a good a time as any for another Pokémon recap. It’s been three years since I started this blog; and even though I have had some bumps in the road, I still stand by what I wrote about certain episodes of the Advanced Generation.


This time, however; I’m going to talk about the first episode I saw when I got back into the franchise as a teenager, by which point I embraced my fandom after spending years resisting its change. I realized that the series is built on change; designed to grow and evolve to suit whatever 10-year-olds are about at a given time. So, let’s open up “Slaking Kong” to illustrate this. 


We open on Ash, May, Max; and Brock on their way to the Indigo Plateau for May’s appearance in the Grand Festival.

She marvels at her ribbons and how she plans to perform there.

As long as a random misfortune doesn't occur, I'll be fine!
Just then, a gaggle of Aipom appear carrying a bunch of berries and garden supplies. Yep, I was definitely riding a crazy train when I first saw this episode.


One of them; who is later the Aipom from “Aipom and Circumstance” under Ash nips Ash’s hat off his head! I still think she may not be pleased with IGN’s take on OR/AS, even months later.


"Too much water" my behind!



We then get the Battle Frontier opening; which is OK for the first Pokémon Company theme. I still like their version of the Pokémon Theme for XY; though their new one, “Be A Hero” is pretty cool too.

We then get our title card; which nicely displays our cast.





Our character of the day, Taylor, then invites everyone into his parlor.


I am named for a certain beloved voice actress that was just recast!
Everyone tries to determine what happened; as it turns out May’s ribbons were stolen too!


I feel as if we were taken aback by some Russian twins!

It turns out that a traveler in the mountains encountered a giant monster; and was aghast at what he saw!

Ash then vows to get to the bottom of this; as he is once again the butt of a joke that proves Arceus has a sense of humor.


That little putz should have thought twice before messing with a man's hat!

We then cut to the mountains; where a familiar duo is in some very Japanese robes, seemingly basking in the fact they’re being handled by a company that isn’t ashamed of the country of origin of its work!


Anyone who calls me "Jinbanyan" gets this fan upside their head!

Team Rocket’s latest plan is to make off with all the berries in the forest; then make a killing on Poké Blocks at the Grand Festival!

Then, Jessie happens upon May’s ribbon case, which she decides to use to enter the contest herself. What? Didn’t you see that coming? 

Yeah, I saw Ultron opening day; plan on going again soon. Lot of the competition looks like crap.

As they head to the gates; I notice that there also Slaking, Vigoroth, and Mankey in on this. Since I’m still on my plan to do recaps related to the Chinese Zodiac in some way; monkeys are next in the cycle. I know I could have done the Mankey episode; but I didn’t want to blow my load too early befor the real year of the Monkey next year.

Meowth, still dressed like a Japanese priest; is pleased with their haul.


Now to wax my mustache!

Everyone decides to take the opportunity to storm the gate!

Always cleaning up your messes!


Upon discovering the ribbon case belongs to May; Jessie decides to have some fun with May.

May, not amused; angrily demands the ribbons back as well.

Their response? Summon the eponymous Slaking to do their dirty work.


I have no strings to hold me down, to make me fret, or make me frown!


Everyone is forced to retreat. Hello CGI gates! 




Ash has Pikachu give them a warning with Thunderbolt; which like most attacks, causes an explosion for no reason. Insert Michael Bay or Bruce Kalish joke here.

As Ash tries to recover his hat; the scuffle between him and Aipom sends them skidding down a cliff as if they were holy divers!





Apparently they’re fine; as Ash decides to wash up by the river.


Must wash away the shame of doing Bullet Witch!
I know I mention this whenever I do a recap on a Pokémon Company-dubbed episode; but the voice acting thankfully got better later. For now; you’ll just have to bear with Ash sounding tired. 


I'M IN A GLASS CASE OF EMOTION!



So, the Aipom with Ash’s hat; who’s apparently the leader, talks to her comrades about the situation at hand. 


On the shoulders of Slaking, Jessie still won’t give up the ribbon case! 


You're all puppets, tangled in strings!
May, fed up with Jessie’s attitude; decides to take her on with Combusken!


Fire/fighting before it was popular. #HipsterCombusken

The giant Slaking doesn’t even bat an eye at this; and grabs May!


Do you think we're interrupting something?



While there are no airplanes; Ash has Sceptile rescue May! You only get one, HoennShippers. 

Then, just as Combusken unleashes its attacks; a bumper for Re-animated comes up. It was this really crappy Roger Rabbit knockoff that spawned an even crappier TV show, Out of Jimmy’s Head; which led to the crappiest of all: their infamous CN Real block; which they have thankfully and rightfully tried to forget ever happened.

It turns out that the Slaking is a robot; only missing the menacing voice of James Spader. 

The Pokémon then attack the Slaking mecha; which sends it crashing down and spewing out all the berries!




When May asks for her ribbon case back; Jessie again acts in a condescending manner towards her. I can just imagine Sarah Natochenny in a recording studio having to do 30 takes of this. 


You forgot to say please.


May then asserts that she put her blood, sweat and tears into the ribbons. Jessie throws this back at her by likening it to “bleeding in cheap sneakers while running a sweaty marathon crying Totodile tears.” … And I thought my jokes were bad. 

Oh, and the sneakers, they weren't cheap. You oughta know, you bought 'em!


With this; May continues to battle Jessie for her ribbons!


Come on you gruesome son of a bitch, come to me!


Ultimately, her ribbon case is recovered with the help of Combusken.


Pikachu finishes the job with Volt Tackle! I never got Volt Tackle; to be frank. 

With this, everyone decides to head off on their way to the Indigo Plateau.

Yet, Ash remarks he feels weird without his hat.


Something's missing, and this Re-animated bumper isn't cutting the mustard!


Then, what should turn up but his hat! I may consider ordering that one to add to my collection. It will also help with some OC cosplays I’m working on.


At last, the top of my head is complete again!
We then close on Aipom grinning; deciding to tag along and become a future member of the group!


Aipom will return in Captain America: Civil War.

“Slaking Kong” was every bit as enjoyable to get me back into Pokémon as an homage to the 1933 classic and its big-budget 2005 remake would be (I don’t care for the 1976 version). Apart from the animation being pretty durned good (save for the Wii-quality CGI on the gates); I just can’t say no to hat gags and Pokémon that resemble monkeys. You’ll probably be seeing more recaps involving Aipom in the future (including my planned look at “Steamboat Willies”).

As for my Chinese Zodiac theme: roosters are next in the cycle after monkeys. I will have to find something for that; as doing another Pokémon episode that ties into that theme would be too easy for me. However; while I’m on a roll, I can do something every bit as festive. I’m thinking “Princess VS Princess” is in order! Don’t worry about me, I like that episode very much. See you, space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment