Friday, May 29, 2015

Recap: Biyomon Gets Firepower

Hello again, and welcome to the next phase of my Chinese Zodiac theme for this year. We have reached roosters in the cycle; and while this may be a departure from my usual style once again, I have been very busy with wrapping up my school term. Also; while I concede that my subject may be fudging the conditions of a rooster, I’ve been taking liberties as it is. I might as well stay the course. So, let’s open up “Biyomon Gets Firepower” and take a trip back in time!

As I pointed out my recap of the pilot; the Digimon series was typically more serialized than Pokémon; and they often had these “previously on” recaps for those who may have missed an episode. I was on the road a lot with a brother that wanted to watch Dragon Tales when he was little; so that was very much the case. Anyway; it concerned Garurumon and his power being celebrated by brothers Matt and TK!


We once again get that piece of electro that essentially signaled the end of the 1990s and the beginning of the 2000s in a single tune. I’m posting a link of it for you to hear. 


Picking up where we left off; we see that the Digidestined are still lost amid a forest of road signs and funny trees. Despite the obvious illogic at their feet; they decide to keep moving right along. 

If it seems like I’m filing dead air at an early stage; that’s essentially what’s happening in the anime as well. I mentioned before how the kids; much like kids would; try to lighten the mood of their predicament by making playful banter. 

As they continue along; Mimi notices her compass isn’t working right!

Izzy then determines that there are traces of metal in the sand; and they’re throwing off the magnetism of the compass!

These are heavier metals than an online discussion of Man of Steel!

So, they keep walking; and this is one of a few scenes that turns a scene with little to no dialogue in the Japanese version into a string of gags about the drudgery of their hike. 

Tai then spots a settlement ; where there should hopefully be food and water!

The village is full of Yokomon; who are quite pleased with the fact that that Biyomon has Digivolved. Yet, Sora merely remarks at how bizarre everything is.



Biyomon then goes onto say much close she and Sora are; saying it’s their bond that did the job. Oh, to be 8 again. 


There is indeed a supply of food and water for both Digimon and Digidestined alike; yet Izzy noticed something strange headed toward Mount Miharashi. 


This is highly illogical, much like how A Night in Sickbay is still canon!

The water supply not only has dried up; but the rope holding the bucket is burnt up too!


A young man holding a burnt, flaccid object. That's not suspect at all!

The Yokomon are incredibly upset at the fact that their water supply has gone dry!


It's almost as bad as the idea that Beyblade is getting a live-action movie before we do!


Izzy then deduces that there may be something more behind this!


If Lions Gate is rebooting the Power Rangers, I imagine they could do something similar with our movies! Hope they're better than the one from 2000!


At the peak of Mount Miharashi; Tai discovers that a Digimon is behind all this! 

It turns out that Meramon is the cause of all the trouble! Even worse; the normally friendly Digimon is on a rampage due to a black gear!



Biyomon declares this will not stand. This aggression will not stand. She opts to stop Meramon because of what’s going on with him. 

Sure enough; Sora’s will reaches Biyomon; and she digivolves to Birdramon! 





A battle ensues with some fairly decent animation for its time; and the black gear is expunged from Meramon as a result! He apologizes for what he did; and everyone has a celebratory banquet as a result! 

So, we close on Biyomon and Sora embracing and celebrating their friendship!





“Biyomon Gets Firepower” is another solid entry in the Digimon Adventure canon. With some nice animation and amusing dubbing; it’s definitely worth your time. Sorry for this recap being so short; but I’m working on finishing class so I can have the slate clean for June.



Dogs are also next in the cycle after roosters; and I’m mulling over several options. I may do a Johto filler episode on a canid Pokémon, or look into something Inuyasha-related. For now; I’m going to be celebrating my mother’s 53rd birthday with my family on Sunday. I have much planned for June and the second half of the year. You’ll just have to wait and see what it is. See you space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment