Thursday, June 11, 2015

Recap: The Purr-Fect Hero

Hello again. I’ve been wanting to do another recap for some time; and now that I’m off school for the summer, that time is upon me.


I have also yet to find anything for the dog phase of my Chinese Zodiac theme; so instead, I’ve been feeling in a Meowth mood. Even though the cat came in last in that myth; why should he be left out? So, I’m going to do a double whammy of Meowth-related recaps while I mull over my options for the second half of the year. Let’s start by making good on my promise and opening up “The Purr-Fect Hero!” 

Once again, I don’t think I need to say anything else about the Pokémon theme; apart from just letting the opening lyrics do the talking. 


I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!
We open on Ash, Brock and Misty being on their way to Cinnabar Island, when they come to a sudden realization: it’s Kids Day! Yep, it’s another episode based on a real-life Japanese holiday; further complicated by the Electric Soldier Porygon incident! For instance, I notice Togepi in Misty’s arms; further muddling the timeframe even though it ostensibly takes place directly after “Princess VS Princess.”




We then get our title card to help lead us off.





Since Ash cites that Misty already had her Princess Festival, that Kids Day should be a holiday for men; illustrated by Ash in a karate gi.


NOW YOU'RE A MAN! A MAN, MAN, MAN!

Misty objects to this; and encourages everyone to have a good time and play, regardless of gender! She’s… tenacious.

They come across a kindergarten; where, say it with me now: someone needs help with a Pokémon. They’re the only ones who can help, they don’t have the time in their schedule; but they’re going to anyway. See, I knew you could do it.

Team Rocket catches wind of the situation; and I do believe hijinks will ensue. 



James reminisces about having the day off from school, swimming in his pool; and eating nothing but ice cream sandwiches. As my associate Dogasu pointed out in his recap (go check it out and his site if you haven’t already); those are mochi. I mean, have you ever looked in a Good Humor cooler and seen those on the shelf? I sure haven’t. This edit is especially odd as one of the show’s competitors, Monster Rancher; had a creature that resembled and was outright named Mochi. For that, among other reasons, I may consider looking at some of it later this year.




Anyway; the schoolchildren play with some of their Pokémon, including Ash’s Pikachu. He says to take it easy on them.

The teacher, not amused with their antics; then goes nuts. In hindsight, she’s kind of like a proto-Mitzi from Shin Chan. It’s just crazy.

Don't make me break out the Board of Education on your butts!

Even amid all the fun; one kid doesn’t feel the same way as the others do. His name is Timmy.



He only wants to meet a Meowth. Specifically, the one that saved him from a Beedrill when he got jumped in the forest; even giving him a swift kick in the thorax! 

FSHING! (Lou Scheimer, Executive Producer, Hal Sutherland, Supervising Producer)

The other students are skeptical about this; including one that seems to be practicing to be Biff Tannen when he grows up.


Hello, anybody home?! Think, McFly, think!

Team Rocket comes in with their latest disguise: a pair of magicians! Is it just me; or were ladies really stacked in the original series? I noticed the crossdressing when I watched this one as a kid; but Jessie’s magician’s outfit is surprisingly revealing. 






They try to steal Pikachu; but their biggest obstacle ends up being a bunch of kindergartners. Yep, that’s how I remember it on my Game Boy as well.





The gang, of course; expresses incredulity at the whole thing. I knew the princess stuff was insane; but this?




The teacher isn’t too thrilled about this either; and orders everyone to settle down.


You cut this out, or it's a day in the chokey!


James tries to attack the kids; but given their rambunctious nature, it doesn’t work.



Don't mock me! I'm a threat to you!
He has Weezing fill the room with smoke as they try to collect the box. What could possibly go wrong?

Surprise surprise! They got Timmy in the box in their confusion.




He then mistakes Meowth for the one that saved him; and Team Rocket encourages him to play along. Why? “Team Rocket may be dirty rotten cheaters; but we’re not in the business of destroying children’s dreams!”


Who do you think we are? Alan?

With this, Meowth has a fantasy about being admired by the children; complete with a custom Superman costume. To think people worry about Zack Snyder. 



In order to make the facade complete; he can’t say a thing but his name. We’ll talk in the next recap.


And no blabbing about Game Freak's plans to counter Yo-Kai Watch!

So, with the stage set; Team Rocket engages in a mock attack for Meowth to save him! Personally, if there was ever a Make-a-Wish Foundation kid with a Pokémon wish; I’d gladly volunteer to be a Team Rocket member in this role. 



With this; Timmy returns to the school with Meowth as “proof”, much to everyone’s relief.

The other children are every bit as impressed with Meowth as Timmy is!




Yet, he almost reveals his facade; and leads everyone to the bluffs! Jessie and James then tell him to bug off!


Where'd the vacuum cleaner come from?


A battle ensues at the bluffs; but just then, a rockslide occurs!





With the day saved; Ash encourages Timmy to train hard, so he can be great one day.



We then close on Team Rocket walking into the sunset; remarking on what a strange day it’s been. 




“The Purr-Fect Hero” is a nearly perfect episode to follow “Princess VS Princess.” The childlike spirit of the series shines through here; much like the holiday it’s celebrating. With some nice animation and a delightfully silly plot; it’s one I never pass up an opportunity to watch. 

I must once again point out that I’m not sure where to place this one chronologically; factoring in the odd release pattern of the home video and DVD releases and the Electric Soldier Porygon incident. This is further compounded by the fact that Misty has Togepi here; yet there wasn’t even a whisper of that egg baby in “Princess VS Princess.” For the sake of argument, I’m going to put this one right after that episode; but before “The Case of the K9 Caper;” as a best guess.

What I am sure of; however, is what I want to do for my next Meowth episode. Next up is one of my favorites: “Go West Young Meowth!” See you, space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment