Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Recap: Go West Young Meowth

Hello again, and welcome to the second half of my Meowth double whammy. As I’m headed to California to see my father again; I think it would only be apropos that I cover an episode that deals with Meowth and his experience there. It’s also on my list of my favorite Kanto episodes. So, let’s open up “Go West Young Meowth.”


Once again, no need to introduce the Pokémon theme. Just let the opening lyrics speak for themselves. 


I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!
We open proper on everyone getting ready for the Pokémon League. Once again, I must point that I don’t do tournament arcs. Apart from the obvious reasons; they would be way too time-consuming to write. I’ve been under enough self-imposed time crunches as it is. 


They get an invitation to go see a movie they starred in; in none other than Hollywood, California!

Even though Ash wants to train, he does eventually agree to come with. Yet, this is not the main event of this episode.


We then get our nice and simple title card to help lead us off.



It turns out in the past; Meowth was a hungry drifter that was driven to eating baseballs. The team did not take kindly to this, and they had him lynched!


That night, he sees a film that inspires him to go to California. Forget caviar wishes and champagne dreams: he’s content with ice cream and fried chicken. 

Everyone else arrives in Hollywood; and their fantasy is filled with as much neon as Batman Forever.





Even Delia can join the fun; doing her best Marilyn Monroe impression! They do this a lot in anime. Another example I can think of is in Spirited Away; where Haku is trying to distract the people on the bridge as he’s trying to hide Chihiro.



Then it’s revealed their reality is much more downtrodden. Well, that is a typical California street; and that’s a typical California movie theater as well! Maybe this was more prescient than I gave it credit for.

Then, the director of the piece, Cleavon Spielbunk is there to greet them. Clearly, Steven Spielberg’s non-union Japanese equivalent!




As a result, we see more of how Meowth often foraged for food; under the tutelage of a streetwise Persian.

He’s quickly smitten by a spoiled Meowzie; but I cannot identify her master. Just look at it. While it didn’t stand out at me much as a kid; that design is freaky. It looks like a Fraggle mixed with a Zontaran!




She even has a diamond-studded Poké Ball!






I also like this bit on the license plate; which has his Pokédex number and part of his Japanese name, Nyarth on it. 





He comes by an old house, where an unseen couple is fighting in typical upper-middle class white angst; certified by films of that time like American Beauty, Fight Club; and their kin. 

It turns out Meowth used to be in the loft above what used to be dance studio.


Ceiling Meowth is watching you dance.
He also busies himself with an alphabet book; and here is where we learned how he learned to talk like a Chicagoland gangster!

This is all set to a localized version of the “Meowth’s Party” ending. You must know that ending themes typically aren’t dubbed here; usually replaced with the opening again or outright cut for commercials. So as a kid, this was my first exposure to the whole thing.

It even goes by so much the seasons change. Still more plausible than when Bella Swan did it. 


One night, it dawns on him: he’s done it! He can walk and talk like a human!

He goes to tell Meowzie, who still rejects him because of all this.

Later on, Meowzie is now part of the gang!

It turn out this massive purple people eater is almost bankrupt; and ultimately has to abandon Meowzie! 






Yet, even as Meowth wins the fight; Meowzie still chooses to be with Persian.

At the movie, everyone remarks at their disdain for the piece; upon which Spielbunk mentions he edited them out; as he wanted his movie to be about Pokémon!


I didn't care they were creatures that spit lightning and venom! I used to work with Lindsay Lohan, for corn's sake!
Team Rocket, of course, is there to crash the party.


We then close on Meowth feeling down; but opting to never forget the city he loved, or the girl that broke his heart.



Yet, that’s not all! The “Pikachu’s Jukebox” segment is the title track from the “2BA Master” album! Gets me pumped every time. 



“Go West Young Meowth” is as great a backstory for Meowth as you could hope for. It easily captures Takeshi Shudo’s intent for the character in one sitting, bless his soul. Sorry for cutting it off like this, but I have a train to catch. Also; given the events of E3, I shall accelerate my plans. Now that the Yo-Kai Watch US release date has been moved up, I shall also move up my plans to do another one of my targeted episodes. You’ll find out which one soon. Bang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment