Saturday, August 20, 2016

General Update-August 2016

Hello again. I know it's been a while since I posted my last recap; but there's been a lot going on lately, and not just because of helping take care of my grandfather.

Nevertheless, there's a lot for me to address; so I'm going to tackle it here.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I will not be recapping the Pokémon XYZ episode I had in mind; and will probably be talking about something else. Thus; most of my energy for Pokémon recaps this month will be going towards my look at Pokémon Heroes. I will try to get it out by the end of the month.

Apart from the anime; there have been a lot of developments in the series as the 20th anniversary continues at full steam ahead. The live-action Detective Pikachu movie will be tapping some major talent to write the script: Alex Hirsch, creator of the hit Disney XD show Gravity Falls; and Nicole Perlman, co-writer of Guardians of the Galaxy. In the latter case; I'm glad one of my guesses about how to handle the film might actually happen. The Marvel Cinematic Universe has garnered massive critical and commercial success in part for embracing the outlandish elements of its source material. If that's the case; then Pikachu should have no trouble becoming a movie star with modern CGI in the vein of Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

Of course, as the release of Sun and Moon grows ever closer; there has been an increasing amount of new Pokémon and features unveiled. For example, Raichu; the final stage of the Pikachu line has been given a redesign for the Alola region, which joins the list of several previous monsters to be given this treatment.

The Alola region's villain faction has also been revealed to be Team Skull; a group of violent thugs which seem to have a very '90s hip-hop look to them. I personally consider them to be an improvement over Team Flare already (though I admit I do like Flare's manga and anime characterization better than in the games); preferring to raid Hot Topic's clearance bin for uniforms (that's not just a joke: they really do have to buy their own outfits) and tromp around in possibly-stolen Air Jordans then hide their pretentiousness behind overpriced sunglasses. Notably, their leader; Guzma, was once in line to become a trial captain alongside Kukui; but while Kukui eventually took up the life of a respectable professor, Guzma chose to be a malicious gangster.

There have also been numerous new Pokémon unveiled. There is Wishiwashi; a water-type that changes appearance depending on whether one or a whole school have gathered. There is Stufful, the pre-evolved form of Bewear; and Crabrawler, a fighting type who resembles a fighting crab. Personally, however; my favorites would have to be the sandcastle Pokémon, Sandygast and its evolved form of Palossand. This ghost/ground type should be very fun to play with; and it brings unique abilities in combat to the table as well.

I still want to do some of the recaps I wanted to last month; but couldn't, though I admit this heat wave my town has been experiencing hasn't helped matters either. With the second dubbed season of Yo-Kai Watch underway, I want to do some of the targets I had on the table before the sequels come out to explain how I still don't share the enthusiasm others have toward the series; and I'm skeptical of the idea that Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls will kickstart the series here (in short: don't be surprised if they don't sell enough copies to localize the third game, massive success in Japan be damned). You'll probably see me do some mecha and magical girl recaps to detox afterwards. I want to ideally do the handful of episodes on my hit list and the movie before the games launch on September 30 (I'm also mulling over doing an episode or two mixed in with some anime I actually like in October for Halloween. I'm already planning a variant of a Pokémon Trainer costume for the 20th anniversary that might also be nice to wear to the Sun and Moon launch).

You should see my next few recaps soon; as I will start writing my next one after I post this. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment