Friday, March 3, 2017

Recap: One Million Miracles


Hello everyone. I’ve been trying to rework this recap of Code Geass R2 for a while; and since I already started looking at the show when I started this blog in 2012; I can’t just pull the plug on it like I did with Danganronpa (depending on what else I can see, i might pick those plans up again and I might not.). So, let’s open up “One Million Miracles,” because we need one every day; and not just for the planned remaster of this anime to actually be good like first part was.



Normally, I would do my “previously on Code Geass R2” introduction, but I don’t need to! The anime does it for me, recapping not only the previous series up to this point; but now this one! Well, it was nice to have 2 episodes without this. Honestly, if you want to accommodate new viewers; this isn’t the way to do it! Plus, you’re treating existing ones like they have the attention span of a guppy! I definitely want this gone in the remaster, since it’s totally ineffective at expanding existing plot points and worthless for the new ones! At least other anime like One Piece and Gurren Lagann aren’t this clumsy about it! Sorry if I’m getting heavy, but there’s more to talk about in this episode.





Picking up where we left off, everyone is shocked that Zero wants to follow through with participating in the SAZ. Apart from the usual heavy-handedness, you could have started the episode here! I’m not asking for too much, just a little story cohesion would be nice. Really hope the remaster can help with the pacing problems of this season. 

Zero enters the aircraft carrier, and when Lady Kaguya greets him, he says he’s “relieved to see you’re as lively as ever.” I, however, am not. As I mentioned in the last recap, she’s not my type. More into characters like Yoko Littner and Ryoko Matoi.


This is also juxtaposed with many citizens concerned about the impact the SAZ will have on their lives. This is also one of the reasons why I had to rewrite this recap; since current events in real life made me uncomfortable about what I had in mind before. Some parts will remain later, but other parts I had written here are now gone.



Of course, not pictured is a scene at a swimming pool featuring Shirley adjusting her suit for no real reason amid all the din of concerned citizens. I still mean what I said: the fan service of this arc really needs to go. This has less justification for a swimsuit scene than Star Trek Into Darkness, and I actually like that one!



Nunally will once again be presiding over the ceremony as viceroy; and her speech is in braille as well. Anyone feel like watching the Netflix Daredevil show? Been meaning to catch up on my backlog anyway. Iron Fist is starting soon, looks really cool.

Also, I didn’t think too much about this on prior viewings of this episode; but Nunnally’s maid just seems a bit sketch. By the time I decided to recap it, though, she definitely became quite the piece of work; and one of my main criticisms with this episode. Otherwise, not a whole lot has been going on. The last couple ones were objectively worse, but this is just kind of dull so far.

Immediately after this, however; we cut to Suzaku saying he has to take a leave of absence to work on the SAZ; which means he can’t help work on the garden. Honestly? Is this scene really necessary? Otherwise, I can just add it to my list of ones that don’t add anything to the story, and not just because Rivalz is involved.









The most it adds is some kind of potential clemency for Kallen; but it just as well could have been done anywhere; and leads to some awkward romantic banter that even Edward Cullen would laugh at. 



Then, we got some traitor running at Suzaku with a knife. Seriously? Even if he hadn’t been given the “Iive on” Geass (long story, we’ll talk when the time comes); you seriously think just a random grunt can take on a member of the elite guard with just a knife? A gun, fair enough; but this is just dumb.

Of course, Suzaku flips him overhead with a single grapple. Admittedly, that was nice; but still came out of nowhere and was totally unnecessary, just like most of this anime.

After getting off the phone with Diethard, Lelouch then talks to Rolo about his plan as well as the previously-mentioned voodoo shark that is VV. This could be Simon Gruber using a nursery rhyme as his plan and it would be much more entertaining.



As I was going to St. Ives, I met a man with seven wives. Every wife had seven sacks, every sack had seven cats...


Then, Nina meets with Prince Schneizel and Kannon in a facility in Dallas after they got back from the EU. After certain events that had me rewrite this recap, that sentence made no sense at all. Hell, I can understand the rationale behind why they made Solgaleo a Psychic/Steel type; but I’ll be damned if I can figure out how the events are unfolding here.


We also get a brief scene of Suzaku potentially signing off on executing the traitor who took a swing at him, which I submit would have made a much more interesting story than the one we’re actually getting.


Nina also recalls an incident during the black rebellion where she went mad and regretted it deeply, which is more than I can say for someone else in this anime that I will get to soon. I really don’t get why the fans are so hard on Nina when there are characters in this episode alone that deserve a lot more hate.

Back with Suzaku, he does decide to just execute the grunt that tried to kill him; with Anya acting as the co-signer as one of the Knights of Round. To be honest, there’s not a whole lot to this episode. I’m almost 10 minutes in and it’s just been a whole bunch of political discussions and signing forms. While other episodes of this anime I’ve covered are technically worse; I still want to keep going even after all this time.

For some reason, when Anya questions why Suzaku came to Area 11, she asks if he’s a masochist. What, did EL James ghostwrite this episode? That’s got to be the biggest left-fielder question since Tommy Wiseau! 


Everyone gets a call from Zero, and the maid questions one of their revealing outfits. In the words of my associate, Mr. Enter: “Pointing out your problems doesn’t make them go away!” Also, don’t make light of the excessive fan service, that’s my job.





Also, I still don’t know why Lloyd gets a free pass among the fans even though he’s just as bad as many other characters I’ve seen; if not worse. I would have no objections at all to the remaster writing him out or killing him off.

Anyway, Zero agrees to the term of the SAZ and the mobilization of 1 million people on the condition that he be exiled. Oh, dear, do I have some choice words for that when it happens.

As the maid cites a clause in their laws that allows him to be exiled; Anya remarks how boring this all this. Really not a good sign when even the characters aren’t buying this anymore.


Also, halfway through this episode; we find out her name is Lohmeyer. It would have been nice to learn that sooner, but instead we got unnecessary swimsuit scenes. This whole plot thread will most likely have to be rewritten for the remaster; especially for reasons I’ll get to concerning Miss Lohmeyer. 

Honestly, this scene where they’re lighting candles to canonize Euphemia’s memory would have played a LOT better without the bureaucratic hogwash! This is like the first season on Sominex! 

So, it turns out that the SAZ will be located in the Shizuoka ghetto as one million people have indeed gathered. A third of the way into this anime, and I feel like I could be watching Beyblade instead of this.

Also, it turns out some of the black knights have been planted amongst the crowd for what Zero has planned. I’m supposed to be invested, but I already feel like I’m overloaded a third of the way through this anime.

Chigusa enters the space looking for Ohgi, and I honestly have no idea what’s going on; nor do I care about it.

I will give credit where it is due, though: the animation is still very well-made, as I expect from Sunrise and CLAMP. The story and characterization may be a mess, but at least it’s a pretty mess; much like how the new Ghost in the Shell looks (baby steps, fellas, we’ll get a good live-action remake someday).


So, 15 minutes into this episode; Zero appears before the Viceroy, true to his word. Wish I could say the same about everyone else right now.

Also, if there’s an attack; Miss Lohmeyer says that the insurgents will be executed on sight. (sighs) Really?

Then, some of the people in the crowd use bags that emit smoke in their plan! This is going to get even sillier.

It turns out that all 1 million people have been disguised as Zero, meaning they all must be allowed to leave under their own rules!





Lohmeyer, however; just wants to slaughter the horde en masse! After Suzaku stops her, I would make a joke normally; but I’m just going to let this screen cap speak for itself.





Lady, with all due respect, go fuck yourself.


So, despite Lohmeyer’s xenophobic ranting; Suzaku ultimately agrees to keep his word and allows all 1 million people (honestly, they’re not numbers, Miss Lohmeyer) and Zero to leave on a specially designed ship. Just as well, I’m done with this.


Even with all people have said about Nina’s flaws; at least she admitted she was wrong in this episode and others after this, which is more than I can say for Lohmeyer. Even though Rivalz and Lloyd admittedly annoy me, at least they never took their position as a way to demoralize and kill people they deemed beneath them. The moment anyone insinuates that people don’t deserve to be recognized just because they’re from different backgrounds, I am done with them. I definitely would like it if her character was rewritten or even removed entirely from the remaster. You were the one pointing the gun, Lohmeyer, so point it at the one responsible.

That aside, however; “One Million Miracles” is another example of how R2 had plenty of potential to expand on what was done in R1 that was never realized. Lohmeyer’s xenophobia aside; it was just painfully boring. An episode about this subject matter should have had a lot more to be invested in, I couldn’t even eke out the bare minimum to give a damn about it. Even with all the great animation, it’s just a load of sound and fury signifying nothing; which is par for the course when it comes to this anime.

So, after I post this, I’m going to go get the new Zelda and see Logan this weekend; then it will be time for my 300th post after I finish some work I’ve been meaning to. That’s all for now. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment