Thursday, August 31, 2017

Pokémon Sun and Moon Marshadow Event coming to US, Brock and Misty to reappear in Sun and Moon series.

Hello everyone. First off: Happy Labor Day weekend. Second, I am underway with some of my plans from September onward, including my FLCL marathon and my double feature of the Victini movies for my Pokémon movie marathon. However, when a development like this takes hold, I am essentially duty bound by how I started this blog to write about it.

To close out this month, I will address some developments in the remaining days to Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon that I found out about earlier. It seems that Marshadow, a legendary Pokémon from Generation VII will be officially distributed in the US at Gamestop starting on October 9. The Pokémon was previously distributed in Japan to tie into its role in Pokémon The Movie: I Choose You, and cannot be obtained through normal gameplay.


Official artwork for Marshadow.



Now, and much more notably; is something that will show up in two future episodes of the Sun and Moon series: on the episodes airing on September 14 and 21, Ash and his classmates will be going to the Kanto region for a school trip, and the episodes will see the return of Ash's original companions Brock and Misty, known in Japan as Takeshi and Kasumi.

The more things change...



The more they stay the same.



While I plan to include my thoughts in a more detailed manner in a future post before the episodes air in Japan, I am very interested in how the events will play out. In addition to the designs showing off the unique art style of the Sun and Moon series as well as the episodes including potential mega evolution battles with Misty's Gyarados and Brock's Steelix, it will be a delight to see them again after all these years. As for any potential detractors, such as people on Kotaku who are still under the impression the new movie had the characters "erased" and the series' history "rewritten" (which is still wholly untrue and factually inaccurate, and another key reason why I don't take them seriously), they do not concern me. One such commenter, who I shall only refer to as "Mitch Connor" for the sake of argument here, said that he "finds it hard to care about the series" in its current state after certain events. Well, I find it hard to care about fans that react that way; as it reinforces a negative stereotype that I used to be part of when I was younger, and I have spent a lot of my subsequent fandom trying to move past it.

As for anything about "alternate realities:" I personally don't think it's as bad as many are suggesting. In fact, I often cite Batman as example as how a character can have many unique versions in this scenario. It's the reason why one version can be dancing to 1960s pop music in Warhol-esque environments and another fights parademons alongside Wonder Woman, the Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg in the absence of Superman and Green Lantern.

My point is: just because a franchise keeps going on past your initial fandom of it doesn't mean you can't keep finding things to enjoy from it. It's the reason why even though the original Star Trek is among one of my favorite TV shows ever; I am very excited for what Discovery potentially has to offer. It's also the reason why I'm looking forward to see not only how Star Wars: The Last Jedi follows the story of the previous films, but also see what it can bring to the table on its own. As such, I will be approaching these episodes from both the perspective of a longtime fan and someone who's eager to see what new material can come from the crossover of old and new. The Sun and Moon series has been one of the most unique takes on the series in years, and even though it could go in any direction from here; I will be there. As for looking at the episodes for this blog: I might consider it in the near future, but first I want to get finished with some of the other stuff I'm working on.

With 76 days to Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon as of this writing, I will end this month a good note as I work on what I've got planned for the rest of this year. That will be all for now. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment