Monday, August 21, 2017

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Update, Further thoughts on the Nintendo Switch Entry.

Hello everyone. First off, I regret to say that the Death Note film has gotten roundly negative early reviews; and I will probably do a review roundup when the film starts streaming on Friday like I did with Ghost in the Shell earlier this year. Second, I am about 18% or so done with work on the Zoroark movie for my Pokémon movie marathon, and I want to get it done soon so I can start work on the Victini movies. To help make up for the ground I lost when my computer was being repaired, I will be doing both the Reshiram and Zekrom films as one recap. Don't worry about me, I enjoy them both, and I will be eager to talk about them that way.

On that note, we finally have some concrete information on Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for the first time in a while; and Game Freak is also hard at work on the planned entry on the Nintendo Switch. This post will be addressing both the new information that was unveiled, as well as more of my thoughts on the upcoming Switch entry.

The video was uploaded to their official YouTube channel a few days ago; and details a large amount of new content planned for the games; further refuting the article I fact-checked earlier this summer in more ways than one.

While I'm not entirely sure about anything like the return of gyms or a Kanto postgame quest (though I'm not ruling out either possibility), I do enjoy the idea of advancing the story of Sun and Moon further; as well as the designs of the player characters. The Alola region has also been expanded in size and scope, and there are a breadth of new and returning features being teased such as companion Pokémon and the Z-Power Ring (which is also being produced as a real-life role play toy like the last game was). I want to have my preorders paid off by November, and I plan on starting with Rowlet in both versions. In Ultra Sun, I will probably call it Hawkeye if it's male and Mako if it's female. In Ultra Moon, I will call it Nite Owl II if it's male and Silk Spectre if it's female.

There is also much speculation about the in-development Nintendo Switch entry to the series, which was part of the focus of an article about the history of the series in this month's Game Informer. There's a lot of fascinating content, so I'll be addressing things that stood out at me about the matter.

Initially, the anime wasn't a sure thing; but was ultimately something that came into being in the series' early days. The idea to make Pikachu the mascot of the series is fairly well-documented, since the initial plan was to use Clefairy before it was decided that Pikachu could potentially appeal to both male and female audience members. Given how this electric mouse has joined the ranks of Mario, Link and Samus Aran as one of Nintendo's biggest names, they definitely made the right decision. The creators also go on to say that while the Switch is a unique piece of hardware, they do want to create an experience that can appeal to existing and new fans, as well as take advantage of it being both a home and portable console. Even though they have said to keep our expectations ebb, the creators have expressed interest in making something in the vein of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I am totally OK with that, and I am definitely going to approach the game with an open mind because of that. There are many games I want a Switch for, but this would be the one that gets me to officially pick one up. No matter who the manufacturer of a console is or what other features it has, the software has always been the primary catalyst for buying a new system for me. With that in mind, the idea of playing Pokémon in all manner of new scenarios would be perfect to go with big games such as Super Mario Odyssey and Metroid Prime 4, as well as new obsessions such as ARMS and Splatoon 2. With the 3DS also carrying the torch of its seniors, I can definitely say that the handheld and console experience can continue to coexist for some time.

That will be all for now, I want to get the remaining Pokémon movies I have done before I watch the I Choose You movie, as well as work on some other content I have in mind. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment