Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Recap: Geass Hunt

So, I definitely enjoyed my vacation. Hawaii and Solo were fun, and I enjoyed my time on the plane. Dealing with over-zealous security measures, not so much. With that in mind, I might as well keep the ball rolling with my work on Code Geass R2. Since I'm more than halfway done with my work on the series, my goal is still the same for my final year on this blog: to finish what I've started. So, let's open up "Geass Hunt", because I'm declaring open season on this bitch.

Picking up from the events of the last episode, this is going to deal with the aftermath of Shirley's death. In most other anime, this would actually cause the characters to re-evaluate their course of action. Here, however, Lelouch blames his Geass powers for causing all this rather than the consequences of the other actions of the series. Feel free to start banging your head against the wall for the 14th time, I know I am.

Moreover, there’s another reminder of the last episode’s events before that sappy new theme song! Christ on a bike: they pull that again, I’m pulling my running gag out of mothballs.

We then get a flashback to how Charles met VV, which once again raises more questions than it answers. Also, it apparently takes place in 1997. That takes me back. Note to self: finish watching Everything Sucks when I get a chance.

Back in the present timeline, it turns out that Rolo was the one who pulled the trigger on Shirley; and Lelouch tries to feign gratitude for protecting his secret; because heaven forbid an emotional impact stick on the characters even if it does on the viewers. Thirteen episodes of this crap down, twelve more to go.

Furthering the problems VV is causing for the plot, now he's apparently holding Cornelia hostage. It would have been nice to see this actually happen to her, but instead it's just flung at you just shy of the five-minute mark. 

VV then goes onto say that he believes "that the relationship between siblings is the most beautiful thing in the world." I wonder if he also believes the Garden of Eden is in Jackson County, Missouri.

As Shirley is laid to rest, I find it rather disappointing that after spending the whole denouement of the last episode on Shirley's death; that her autopsy, funeral and other characters' grief is all but glossed over in moments. Actual emotional resonance in the story? We can't have that! We need to have a nonsensical plot thread about blaming the Geass!

So, after thirteen episodes, eight minutes and 11 seconds of screentime, Lelouch and VV apparently meet via satellite. Between the dialogue and all the clerics surrounding VV, makes about as much sense as watching that horrible Dune movie. Really hope the remake is better.

VV also is apparently responsible for the events of this whole damned season up to this point, and before any questions about the matter can be answered, the facility is stormed by Knightmare Frames and we get another incoherent action sequence. Damn it, Taniguchi.

Now, not only has Nunally been taken to another location, Kallen has once again been given an outfit with an absurd cleavage window, while Nunally has a more modest outfit. Now you're just messing with me: one female character has a reasonable dress, the other looks like an exotic dancer in Dryden Vos' private club.

As Suzaku meets with Nunnally and Kallen, the break-in/massacre at VV's compound is still going on, still making less sense than everything going on with Sakaar.

The Black Knights catch wind of Zero's raid on the research facility, Britannia tries to make a move on CC, and I have once again lost all ability to give a damn at the halfway point in this episode.

There's also a mention of getting the support of Italy and Poland. Somehow, this ends up being less believable than how they were portrayed in Hetalia.

Also, there's some foreshadowing about what Ougi has planned to do; but to be frank, that's the least of the problems with this anime in my book.

Villetta is also trying to leave from Kanazawa in Area 11, and it's honestly less compelling than Birdemic at this point.

Not even the use of children with Geass can satisfy me, especially after they pulled the trigger so quickly with VV in that regard. Once again, we're barely 15 minutes in; and I honestly don't care what's going on anymore.

Even with Rolo having control of a Knightmare Frame, the whole battle is one of the most visually bland experiences I've had with this series; taking place in a darkly-lit, purple corridor. Makes me wonder what Hideki Anno would have done with this anime.

Seriously? VV has taken control of the Siegfried through some sort of "nerve link?" It took me almost an hour to download the demo for the Wipeout Collection on my PS4! Also, Lelouch tells VV he likes him because he reminds him of his dad. I don't.

The escape from his compound devolves into another incoherent mecha battle, because we haven't had enough of those already! It has neither the grace of Evangelion nor the sheer raw power of Gurren Lagann, and comes off like playing Zone of the Enders on some of those "special" gummy bears I have whenever I have trouble sleeping.

Even as Zero activates the "Gefjun Disturber," VV is still able to escape. Well, that was pointless; much like everything else I've observed over these past fourteen episodes!

Suzaku then decides to use some Refrain in order to interrogate Kallen about Lelouch's true intentions. (sighs) You know, one of the things my screenwriting class has helped reinforce is how I like to have my storyline and character traits/motivations planned out before I make a single keystroke. I can understand that deadlines are common and sometimes you have to take ideas as they come, but this season needed a lot of rewrites.

So, we close on VV escaping to the "Sword of Akasha," and Lelouch somehow being transported there too by Charles. (sighs) Fourteen episodes down, 11 more to go.

"Geass Hunt" comes off more like a wild goose chase, given how the story is saying a lot about itself and yet saying almost nothing about its characters at the same time. I know the term "witch hunt" may get tossed around a lot these days, but whenever someone actually finds who they deem a witch; it's common that said witch gets burnt at the stake. It's a fair cop.

I will address more after I'm finished with my class and go see Solo a second time. That's something I will definitely enjoy more, overzealous TSA agents and clickbaiting YouTube channels be damned. That's all for now. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment