Monday, June 25, 2018

Recap: The Song of Jigglypuff

Hello everyone. Well, after the drudgery that was the infamous "Dragonball Evolution," that I would take some breathers before the end of the month. With Pokémon Let's Go coming this November, Generation VIII coming next year and the Everyone's Story movie coming on July 13 (I will definitely do a recap of that one as my last piece of Pokémon content, no matter how it turns out); I thought I would do a couple episodes of Kanto I've been mulling over for a while. This the first of at least two I want to get to you, so let's open up "The Song of Jigglypuff!"




After the theme song, we open on Ash, Brock and Misty wandering through the desert; trying to find the next town. Interesting, I had more trouble trying to navigate the Seafoam Islands when I was trying to get to Cinnabar Island on my Game Boy.






As they rise over the next hill, they come across a glittering counterpart to Las Vegas, Neon Town!





They go onto say there's action 24 hours a day, and always something to do since it never closes! So, I guess it's a sort of precursor to Veilstone City, for me at least.

Anyway, a side character bumps into them; and the way he moves and acts always amused me, even if he is a punker. His design and Brooklyn accent in the dub almost remind me of someone from a Tatsunoko production.











These lowlifes need to be taught a lesson. "Not like that, they don't, not from you!"







After Office Jenny narrowly breaks them up, everyone decides to find a hotel for the night, considering how on edge everyone is. The whole city is also suffering from sleep deprivation because of spending every night out on the town. Team Rocket is unfortunate enough to run into the same punk, as well as a large woman as the two are beat up and spanked! Apparently, Kids WB originally cut this scene, yet it's intact in every other version I've seen, including the one I'm using to write this on my Netflix profile.


How 'bout a 5-minute game misconduct for roughing, pal?



After Meowth rightfully says that they should "prepare for trouble," we get our title card.




While the gang didn't get that much sleep the previous night, they decide to leave after seeing everyone else in the city is still on edge. Well, that's always a good motivator to leave.




They start off on their merry way when they come across the star of our story today: Jigglypuff! 





Misty tries to catch Jigglypuff, but there's something wrong with her voice; and the monster is unwilling to sing! I must say I like Jigglypuff's expression as Ash looks it up in the Pokédex.






So, they decide to help Jigglypuff hone its pipes so they can hear its song! Maybe it's just me, but I always liked the way Jigglypuff cuddled with Misty here. Even if this wasn't my initial plan, I still have lots of ways to celebrate the upcoming release of Pokémon Let's Go.




So, Jessie and Meowth start cooking up a scheme to use Jigglypuff's song to plunder all the Pokémon in Neon Town. I also like this image of James dressed like a Japanese thief in front of all these stock images. I guess when you only have the original 151, you make do with what you've got. Plus, some might have different stats for your ninjutsu.





Now, we get what's one of the highlights of this episode: "Team Rocket's Song!" Before they even crank up the tunes, the trio's sailor suits are just great.



Casual '90s crossdressing and misunderstanding aside, this is catchy as all get out. They may be villains, but it's definitely a track worth enlisting for.

So, with some help from a balloon, a special fruit and some dialect coaching from Misty, Jigglypuff has found its voice, all too well as it puts everyone to sleep! Jigglypuff, not amused, takes a marker from Ash's bag to doodle on everyone, starting what's honestly one of my favorite running gags from the series. Not even Psyduck, whose headache has been handy on numerous occasions can withstand its song, as it's asleep with its eyes open!

Ever alert, Psyduck has trained itself to sleep with its eyes open.


So, they decide to use Jigglypuff's song another way on Neon Town; and Team Rocket devises a new plan after an unsuccessful attempt to record its song on tape. Yes kids, I am old enough to know what audio tape is.

I must admit that the Gibson Les Paul on the music shop sign is a nice touch.



I also have no idea why they made the shopkeeper Canadian in the dub. Even when he tries to sound rude, I half expect him to throw a "thorry" in there.

I'm not your buddy, friend!


Team Rocket, posing as a couple punks (fitting for a couple Pokémon Tech washouts turned bike gangsters), are more than willing to provide an outdoor stage for Jigglypuff; as James pulls a Spinal Tap and says to "Crank the Speakers up to 11."

Tonight I'm gonna rock you tonight!



Jigglypuff takes the stage, and her music fills the whole town! Guess the sound system is really that good, or it was wired everywhere. Of course, not amused, Jigglypuff doodles all over the whole town; but they thankfully have some much-needed rest!

...And some flapjacks! "Too early for flapjacks?"


The quasi-Brooklyn punk then apologizes to Ash for what he said the other night, even though it was really two nights ago they bumped into each other. Guess they really were sleep-deprived.




Everyone then continues on their way to Cinnabar Island, give or take a dozen episodes; with Jigglypuff being on a quest of its own to find someone to listen to its song. 



Of course, Jigglypuff is not far behind, keeping the marker as a makeshift microphone! This took quicker than normal, but I had a lot of fun writing it.




"The Song of Jigglypuff" was a fun introduction to the title monster, and this singer is definitely one of the most-recognized "cute" monsters of the series; and she's been in heavy rotation for me in Super Smash Bros. ever since I first played Melee, as well as one of my primary dragonslayers since it retroactively gained fairy type from Generation VI onward. Since I will be going to a show myself with some family friends, I thought it would be fun to take a look at this. I will also be going to see Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom tomorrow evening, so check back with me after that for my look at another episode I've been wanting to address for ages: "Attack of the Prehistoric Pokémon!" See you, space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment