Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Recap: Emperor Dismissed

This time, our previously on Code Geass R2  segment is done by Suzaku, yet again rehashing the whole story up to the point he activated the FLEIJA weapon, leading to the intro sequence. I am so glad that I am almost done with this; so let's open up "Emperor Dismissed" and keep this momentum going!

I do agree with Nina that she had “no idea it would be this awful.” You and me both, Nina.

Meeting up with Lelouch at Rolo’s grave, he realizes the sickening truth about where the Emperor is and what he plans to do next; and decides to confront his father. (Sighs) Thank goodness there are only only a few episodes left, including this one.

So, as the Emperor tries to use something called "Ragnarok" to take control of the world; CC regains her memories after crossing paths with the Knights of Round. On top of being another pointless story thread; the Emperor has now officially devolved into another generic doomsday villain.

As for who is really trying to recruit CC: we will get to that next time. Trust me when I say I have some choice words for it. I will just say it's not a good sign when even CC isn't buying this crap anymore.

Even with Anya being left behind, just listening to the other Black Knights pondering their next move further illustrates the problem with how much the story was ruined by executive meddling. I honestly don't care about the fireworks so much as I do a coherent script an consistent characters.

While everyone else debates what happened to Zero, Suzaku is apparently getting an upgrade known as Lancelot Albion, and I honestly don't care about this anymore. We're barely halfway through this thing too.

Again with the whole "being prepared not to use FLEIJA?" That was a moronic assumption before, Cecile, and it's even worse now. So fuck you and your garbage husband Lloyd too.

Everyone else tries to talk Suzaku out of his plan, but he will have none of it; forcing them to go along with overthrowing the Emperor. Another coup: just what this bloated story needs! To think people are so down on the subplots in The Last Jedi.

With ten minutes left in this episode; I honestly don't know what to expect from the remaster or R3; I just hope it's better than this.

Suzaku goes to confront the Emperor, which leads to what is actually a pretty good sword fight between him and Bismarck as Lelouch goes into the Sword of Akasha. At least everything else going on isn't as busy this time. Either that, or I've built up an immunity to all the bullshit I've covered in six years with this anime; and it's almost over.

So, after Anya and CC bluff their way past Waldstein somehow (I don't know, six years since I first saw this, it still makes no sense to me), we close on Lelouch confronting his father the Emperor in the Sword of Akasha. I am so glad there are only four episodes of this left to go.


Even if this isn't the worst episode of R2 I've done here, "Emperor Dismissed" just feels like it's going through the motions as this anime further limps to a royally absurd conclusion. I know there are parts of the story and characters that I haven't mention; but I'm deliberately saving them for next time; so you will know how much they truly screwed this up. At least the animation is once again the lone positive I can mention here.


My plan is to do the remaining four episodes before this year is out, since I'm finally getting my computer repaired and upgraded soon. I will do the last two as one recap, and I also have other material planned before the year is out that I have been wanting to do for ages. That will be all for now. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment