Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Recap: Betrayal

Picking up where we left off, the Emperor dispatches Schneizel to deal with the aftermath of the detonation of FLEIJA, and all Hell has officially broken loose. That is the first minute, and in the absence of my "previously on Code Geass R2" running gag, it doesn't get better from there. So, let's open up "Betrayal" and talk about it.

Not only is Lelouch shocked to find Nunally is alive, but now a ceasefire is being called! Really not a good sign when I am just four minutes in and I have no idea what the Hell is going on.

As for his outburst towards Rolo: like with Shirley, I won't make too much of that, knowing what is about to happen.

Also, I really hate this line Lloyd says to Nina, saying he was "self-aware enough to abandon his heart from the start " of his research. Fuck you dude: that callous assessment proves you have no self-awareness at all given what just happened. I still don't understand why Nina gets so much hate, yet Lloyd gets off Scot-free. I honestly hope he gets killed  in the remaster or R3.

So, with Ougi being MIA, Jeremiah searching for Nunnally and Lelouch staying behind, the rest of the Black Knights go to meet with Schneizel. I have something planned, trust me when I say what happens next is awful. Even my dislike of Rivalz won't be enough to deter me from frying bigger fish.

Schneizel then proceeds to out Lelouch as Zero, but also oversimplifies the Geass as “extremely powerful hypnosis” and its effects as “shams.” ... How do you function?

Ougi and Villetta then enter to effectively sell Lelouch out further. I can understand how others were unhappy about that, but this is honestly the LEAST contrived part about all this.


I do find it ironic how willingly everyone believes the bullshit Schneizel is giving them about being in Zero’s control. From the real 2017 onwards, they would have the opposite problem nowadays. It will be interesting to see how the remaster handles this plot thread.

Furthering this, Schneizel then plays the recording he forged a couple episodes before! ... That’s stupid! You’re stupid! Stop being stupid!


Everyone is then presented with documentation that holds Zero responsible for everyone that has died so far in the story, and not just ones he actually did kill! Oh. My! God!



I mean, Kris Kringle; this crap at the halfway point makes the Chewbacca defense seem sane by comparison! Gaspen Payne would be aghast at this!

Ten minutes left, and I honestly don’t care what is going on anymore. Once again, the bad news is I have no idea who’s fighting who or why. The good news is I don’t care!

As if the series itself realizes this, a talk between Zero and Kallen is then interrupted by a standoff in the hangar! It’s like they said: “Character development? We can’t have that! Let’s just hold the leads at gunpoint and see what happens!”

With few options left, Lelouch just decides to accept his fate. (Sighs) Knowing what happens next, I honestly can’t joke about the next parts.

Rolo then absconds with Lelouch in the Shinikiro, using his Geass as a way to stall for time to escape, even at great physical strain on his body! Even though I don't have the same feelings towards Rolo many others do, this is a moment that plays similarly to Shirley's end, and I shall wrap this up quickly as the Shinikiro continues its escape attempt.


Taking heavy enemy fire, Rolo uses his Geass again and again as we flashback to previous episodes and his condition weakens further. Much like Shirley, even of the circumstances of Rolo's final moments may be contrived as all get-out, the actual death itself is one of the few moments that actually leaves an emotional impact.


We then close on the Emperor vowing to use something called "The Ragnarok Connection" to reshape the world in his image, and Lelouch vowing to finally confront his father. Thank goodness we're finally on the homestretch with only five episodes left to go.

"Betrayal" is obviously not a great episode, and it's made worse with numerous pacing problems; and so much contrived bullshit that I could fertilize my garden with it. However, I do admit the animation itself is well-done, as was Rolo's death. With roughly four months left until I retire, I definitely think I can finish these last few ones before too long so I can free up my energy for other material I have on the slate. 

I have not yet decided I will recap to follow this up, but I am glad to have this up now that I'm back from vacation at my father's. I have plenty in mind, thankfully; so that will give me something to do in this absurd heat wave. That will be all for now. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment