Saturday, September 8, 2018

Recap: Emperor Lelouch

We're on the homestretch on my coverage of Code Geass R2, and in the opening moments of this episode, Lelouch has effectively obliterated the old guard in a matter of days; and he's even driven Schneizel into hiding! He's also decked himself out in a fancy new outfit, complete with a hat with the eye of Geass on it! While I once again lament that they could have developed this story thread more, I'm just glad that I'm almost done with my coverage of this anime! So, let's open up "Emperor Lelouch!"



In order to sweep up the remaining resistance he is facing, Lelouch dispatches Suzaku in the Lancelot Albion. Amid yet another flurry of half-baked plot twists and incoherent mecha action, I am honestly past the point of giving a fuck. 



Suzaku, thanks to his "live on" Geass, is able to kill three of the four remaining Knights of Round, causing Gino Weinberg to weakly ask "what am I fighting for" in the vein of Zero.







You know, just seeing how everything has gotten to this point; it just makes me wish how much better things would have been if they actually developed the plot threads they had instead of spending 75-80% of the season's content on rehashes and "shocking" swerves. I hope the remaster manages to rework the issues they couldn't at the time; as does R3.

Also, despite the earlier claims that Ashford Academy is the "safest place right now," Lelouch decides to make that the spot where he will officially merge Britannia into the United Federation of Nations! Cue the unfortunate music.

I mean, honestly, I can't begin to tell you how much the political roundtable bullcrap contributes to this anime being such a disappointment. They could have really stood to focus more on the conflict between warring states and keep the political theater a secondary plot at best. At this point, I am long ready to end this in these next three recaps.


As such, I am now able to get the key points down to just bullet points after six years and more than 400 posts of doing this. So, refusing to divorce his majority in the vote; Lelouch decides to merge Britannia into the UFN with sheer brute force; and Rivalz is narrowly able to evacuate Nina from the school despite having two roadblocks of armed cronies to elude. Still would love if the remaster or R3 killed him off.

It also turns out that the capital city of Pendragon has been destroyed by a FLEIJA warhead from the Damocles. If you'll pardon the reference to something that doesn't totally suck seven different kinds of eggs; you might say the Sword of Damocles is hanging over their heads, and someone's about to be cutting the thread!

With everything once again going down the shitter at 0.5 past lightspeed, we close on what's probably the saddest attempt at a twist ending yet: Lelouch realizing what most of us already knew, that Nunally is alive and is Schneizel's play. I have seen wrestling storylines with less predictable story swerves than this; but I'm just glad this episode is over and I only have a couple more recaps left.



I can't even dignify this with my Robot Chicken Shymalan joke.




"Emperor Lelouch" could have been a genuinely entertaining and engaging episode to help set up the finale to this anime, but due to the preceding events being bogged down with so much bullshit that I could fertilize my lawn with it; the story suffers the same cardinal sins of every other episode of Code Geass R2 I've covered. The animation is the strong point once again, but the story is also dull and the voice acting seems embalmed as all get-out. I will need more time to address the remaining episodes, since I will be doing the final two as one big recap. I will also be taking biology this term, so a lot of my material will be done in advance for the remainder of the year so it won't conflict with my classwork. For now though, I'm going to have some of the shop's "special" gummy bears and watch FLCL Alternative on Toonami; just to unwind from all this unpleasantness. I am also waiting for official sales, but it looks like despite some over-optimistic fans on Twitter, Yo-Kai Watch Blasters have been tangled in the web of the PS4 Spider-Man. That's all for now, later.

No comments:

Post a Comment