Saturday, September 15, 2018

Recap: Schneizel's Guise

Welcome to one of my final two recaps of Code Geass R2! With this episode's "previously on" segment being shown from Sayoko's perspective; let's pull the mask off this dreck and open up "Schneizel's Guise!"



So, as long as this anime continues its trend of completely undermining the events of the preceding 46 episodes, Nunally not only rejects her brother's rescue; but is even given the detonator for the remaining FLEIJA warheads that Schneizel has absconded with. It took me one paragraph to say the plot thread that this episode essentially spends half its runtime on.  I'd get more enjoyment from watching the infamous "Backstroke of the West."


Game time started.





I must also point out that for all Schneizel's pretentious showboating, his plan to get back at Lelouch essentially boils down to "use the remaining FLEIJA warheads to destroy every major city on earth." Once again, what could have been a more effective story about their rivalry has instead led to Schneizel becoming another generic doomsday villain.


Lelouch decides to go face his brother and Nunally, and it's increasingly clear how even his dialogue lacks the zest a scene like this should have. It really doesn't help that the plot has become so needlessly convoluted that Code MENT's explanation now officially makes more sense than this.

As for Lelouch's garish sword: I have a bit prepared for the finale, so hold that thought as I laugh at how much this blade; combined with his outfit, makes him look like a pimp.


Nate Dogg and Warren G have to regulate!



I must say, despite all the quasi-philosophical rambling and faux-Shakespearean performances; the animation is once again quite good in this battle scene. I certainly hope the remaster and R3 keep this element, since it's one of the few things about this anime that actually works for me, some occasional off-model moments be damned.


Schenizel also apparently thinks nothing of Lelouch trying to intercept his attacks, and it becomes increasingly clear that this episode is just dead air meant to kill time before the finale. This is supposedly going to help build up tension, but I honestly lost all ability to give a damn about the conflict between them ages ago. It's still a dull plot, but whatever gets me closer to ending this, I don't really care what happens anymore.


Again with the mask analogy? It didn't work ten episodes ago, guys, and it sure as Hell doesn't work now. Just get on with it, Schneizel.



Honestly, this episode just seems to go on so long with its battle and heavy-handed dialogue that I think it's a new record for one of the dullest episodes of this anime I've seen. It has all the wit and relevant commentary of a sociology paper written by someone baked out of their mind on brownie medibles. 

I also apologize if this is a bit short, but I'm saving my energy for the recap of the final two episodes. To make a long story short, as Lelouch confronts his siblings, you might say the Sword of Damocles is hanging over their heads; and someone is about to be cutting the thread!

So, we close on Lelouch detonating the Sakuradite in the mines; and Schenizel continuing to press the attack on his brother. A cliffhanger this close to the finale?! Heavens to Buizel: GET ON WITH IT!

There is nothing that can mask how disappointing "Schneizel's Guise" is as one of the penultimate episodes of this anime. Seven years since I first saw this, it never gets any easier, and I'll be more than ready to declare this series dead and buried before the end of this year. With this, I have made up the time I lost earlier this year regarding my coverage of this anime, and I will get right to work on my recap of the final two episodes. That's all for now, I'm going back to playing Splatoon and watching Toonami tonight. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment