Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Star Wars Visions Season 1 (2021) First Viewing Thoughts.

Dedicated to the memory of Colin Cantwell

1932-2022


Well, I needed a bit of time to watch the whole anthology; so here are my first viewing thoughts on the anime OVA "Star Wars Visions!"





With a second season currently in development, this anthology contains nine stories from seven different animation studios; all set within the "Star Wars" saga. One thing I've been enjoying from this era of the franchise is the amount of experimentation done with stories, and this OVA is no exception, as each segment from these studios manages to add to the mythos while still respecting the saga's legacy.

One segment I rather like is "T0-B1" by Science Saru, which has this style that recalls Osamu Tezuka's work on the classic "Astro Boy" in both story and visuals. The "maker" Mitaka is essentially a stand-in for both Ochanimizu and Tenma. I won't say why here; which should give an idea of how it stood out to me.

Given the parallels the saga has with Flash Gordon serials along with Kurosawa's films (especially "The Hidden Fortress" in particular), this format was a natural fit. The similarities are especially clear in "The Duel" and "The Village Bride." 

If I had to choose my favorite segments, they'd be the ones that Studio Trigger contributed to the story: "The Twins" and "The Elder." Of course, Geno Studio's "Lop and Ocho" is another standout to me in terms of worldbuilding and character design (I haven't seen Golden Kamuy and don't plan to, but I understand its appeal at least).

The OVA closes on the second segment by Science Saru, "Akakiri," which shows the influence John Ford's work had on the saga; and his version of "The Searchers" in particular.  Since these elements are openly-admitted to be influencing the Obi-Wan event series as well; I hope the upcoming second season can keep this level of quality and creativity. 

I also apologize for the change in schedule, had to resolve a technical issue on my end again. I do plan to get back on track and get some of what I had planned out, since I have plenty in mind for June. That will be all for now, and may the Force be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment