Sunday, December 31, 2023

Thoughts on every FLCL Spinoff Anime.

The end of an era is upon us, everyone. Earlier this year, Jason DeMarco announced that Adult Swim and their overseas partners will not be pursuing further spinoffs of FLCL. I can honestly respect this decision as both the network and myself are huge fans. So, with this knowledge in mind; I present my thoughts on all the spinoff anime to FLCL.

First, I suggested that it would be difficult to top the accompaniments laid out by the original run. In a way, I'm glad that they didn't try to. I do like how each one is named for a different subgenre of rock music; and getting the Pillows back to the OST. Each spinoff actually serves as a prequel to the original; functionally ending where the first season begins. I will get into why over each heading.

FLCL Progressive (June 2018)


The first spinoff to see release; it centers around a young woman named Hibajiri Hidomi trying to navigate the labyrinthine nature of daily teenage life, a matter further complicated when her homeroom teacher turns out to be none other than Haruhara Haruko herself. An array of eccentric classmates and Haruko's counterpart Julia Jinyu don't make things any smoother. I personally enjoyed it; and it set a solid template for what came next.

FLCL Alternative (September 2018)




Later that same year, FLCL Alternative debuted; and more directly served as a prequel to the original. That will be the case for the remaining spinoffs, so I will keep it succinct for now.  This time, Haruko gets mixed up with Koumoto Kana; and her coming of age story was distinctly different from Naota's. Still, it worked for me in a different way; and it's one of the spinoffs that functionally ends where the original begins. Won't say exactly how, contemplating a deeper dive in the future.

FLCL Grunge (September 2023)


Even with the discourse around this one (I don't share Geoff's dislike of it, for starters); this was always going to be an interesting one to address. Uniquely, the new characters don't have any one protagonist; as each of the three parts focuses on a different character over the course of a single, very eventful rotation. Though I will acknowledge the CG shift as I am known to do; it did grow on me over time (something that didn't happen with Trigun Stampede). The idea of Haruko usurping the position of a Yakuza boss is just something that I find entertaining in itself; and some of the craziness does border on the works of RGG Studio (I am definitely getting Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth when I get a PS5).

FLCL Shoegaze (September 2023)



As this three-part event functionally means the end of the franchise; I honestly think it's a good one to go out on. Two characters are the major focus of this one: Aofuji Masaki and Oraisho Harumi. Their link to both ATOMSK and Medical Mechanica takes them places distinct from other installments; and the journey they go on is a nice way of bringing the story full circle. I won't say why; but I am seriously contemplating a full look in the future.

Overall, while these spinoffs may not be on the same order of magnitude as the original; I still find them worthwhile; and no stranger than the manga, where Naota decided to take up "batting practice" on his father. No, I am not making that up.

That's all I have to say for now; and I wish you all a Happy New Year. See you all in 2024, and ride on, shooting stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment