Thursday, March 7, 2024

Demon Slayer Kimetsu No Yaiba: The Movie- To the Hashira Training (2024) Subbed Thoughts.

Hey everyone- this might not be the post I envisioned, but what the hay- with just about three years passed since the release of the last movie; here are my thoughts on Demon Slayer Kimetsu No Yaiba: The Movie- To the Hashira Training.

Poster for the Japanese release.



Released this past February in Japan (with dubbed and subtitled releases following internationally later that same month), the movie adapts the first part of the Hashira Training arc. Though the movie does open with a reel of "previously on" highlights, I still recommend that you have seen the TV anime and read the manga up to this point before you consider watching it.

That out of the way, I can say that the movie is a worthwhile follow-up to the smash hit theatrical adaptation of the Mugen Train arc; a nice prelude to the upcoming fourth season of the TV series and an entertaining film on its own merit. Many things I said about the previous movie apply here as well, and that includes the note that it really earns its R rating on the violence alone; and that it maintains the canon of the anime and manga rather than disrupting it.

Structurally, the movie does flow fine over 103 minutes in adapting the material. Though it's often been sold as a compilation movie; I'm not sure about that description as the TV version of this arc isn't out yet. All the same, it is quite the experience of sight and sound. Much like the previous film, it was made for a budget equivalent to $15 million USD; and contains some of the best traditional animation I've seen in years. It might not be my favorite franchise; but it definitely made me feel a multitude of emotions. 

I have read the manga in its entirety and seen the TV anime up to the point this film adapts. Though not quite as figuratively and literally gut-wrenching as the last movie, it still has a bittersweet yet hopeful ending to set the stage for the Demon Slayer Corps' final battle against Muzan (that's as much as I will say without getting into too many spoilers).

It might not be as big a hit as the last movie, but it's still doing respectable numbers for its medium and budget (in this landscape, I will celebrate wins wherever I can). It probably won't be on digital or Crunchyroll for a while, as they're already in the black worldwide. I would say that much like its senior, it showed me things I haven’t seen before; and presented things I have in new and unique ways. That being the case, it did a great job at blending action, horror and Taisho-era period drama (among other genres) that it was definitely worth the $10 spot.

I have much more in store over the horizon from this month onward, and I will see you again soon. Take care, and I hope you have a good rest of your evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment