Friday, March 8, 2024

Pokémon Horizons (EN) Volume 1 Thoughts.

So, the time has finally arrived… the English dub of Pokémon Horizons has streamed its first dozen episodes (taking up roughly half of the “Liko and Roy’s Departure” storyline) and I still have mixed feelings. On one hand, it’s not the complete disaster I was worried about it being (despite what some folk online might tell you); but I also don’t see it as this “reinvention” of the franchise others are claiming. It’s not even the best adaptation to see release in the past year.

However, before I get into why, I thought I would share the positive points I have with the anime. The animation is indeed very good, and the voice casting in the dub is solid. Alejandra Reynoso has experience with anime adaptations of video games, having previously appeared in the excellent Netflix Castlevania shows. This is something present in both the dub and JP sub, but I like the gag of casting actors from the previous anime in bit parts (in particular, Zeno Robinson as the voice of the Pokédex and Roy’s Fuecoco). 

Now, back to your regularly scheduled conflict towards this new direction. In theory, this should be something I’m all over. In practice, it’s not really “reinvigoration” so much as “standardization.” Honestly mean no disrespect to the new anime’s fans, but I’m among those who would have preferred a direct adaptation of Scarlet and Violet if I had to part with “you-know-who.” Instead, there’s something that I don’t know the canonicity of (the games, the previous anime or something else) or even the age/section of the fandom they’re trying to target. 

I will get into more detail around the one-year mark of the JP release in April; but a large problem I have is how the pacing simultaneously feels like it’s speed running through the source material while also drip feeding lore and character motivation at a glacial pace. I also don’t think the binge approach makes the story easier to absorb- arguably, it makes it tougher. Maybe it’s because I’ve gone out of my way to not compare it to previous seasons unless absolutely necessary (and encouraged others to do the same), but I don’t feel the need to excessively praise or critique the anime. 

Personally, I will say that the same year’s Paldean Winds OVA and stop-motion Pokémon Concierge did a better job of showing new perspectives of the franchise (with the web series Path to the Peak also being a fun and surprisingly resonant take on aspiring TCG players). Even the idea of having different storylines and character focus isn’t that unprecedented. I personally think that the Origins miniseries and the Detective Pikachu movie did a better job of establishing a darker story and characters beyond the usual archetypes. I also try not to compare Horizons to other animation on the market unless I absolutely have to; which will be expanded further in April.

Overall, while the experiment is commendable; Pokémon Horizons is a clear representation of the uncharted waters the anime is currently in. Here’s hoping that future storylines after “Terapagos’ Shine” (if any) can improve from here. So, I suppose I will see you in April for my thoughts on the anime as a whole; one year later. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment