Saturday, October 31, 2015

A Halloween Riff of General Goings-On and Anime Viewing.

Hello again. To my dismay, I have not been able to get as much work done on my Digimon recap as I'd liked; due to me having come down with flu-like symptoms late last Thursday morning, despite being immunized a week prior. While they have for the most part dissipated; I still have an achy, stuffy head and fatigue. So, I will have to push the recap back to November in addition to some other stuff I want to work on then.

In the meantime; I thought I would give you a riff of my goings-on and anime viewing this Halloween.

Even though my family got cable internet since moving into our new home; my connection hasn't always been the best, to my dismay. On top of that, I have been incredibly busy with Spanish class; which leaves little room for writing as much as I would like to.


Even so; I have been enjoying what I've been watching for the most part, as well as keeping up my usual pattern of alternating between recaps of works I dislike and ones I do since starting the blog in 2012.

There will be many things to view tonight as a result of it being Halloween night. I am working on Thriller Bark in One Piece; which I intend to binge-watch as much as I can before the night is over. It helps that the spooky atmosphere and gothic artwork is perfect for it; not to mention how awesome Brook is. Don't let his perverted nature fool you- his tragic backstory will easily make you see that through all the requests to see the female Straw Hats' underpants; he's a very loyal crewmate and a good friend (the arc eventually leads to him joining).

An admitted guilty pleasure I've been into is High School of the Dead. Despite the rampant fan service as well as some unpleasantness regarding one of the voice actors (not helped by the fact that his role as a decidedly unsavory villain); it manages to actually provide a good look at what might happen if a zombie apocalypse occurred and a bunch of teenagers had to deal with it, based only on what they saw in horror movies and violent video games. Even though I expected an obese character to be made a meal of first; said character is surprisingly adept with both a nail gun and a real gun.

Of course, one of the 2015 series I've been most enthusiastic about is Seraph of the End; which now has a second season underway as I type this. This gothic, post-apocalyptic vampire story manages to not only faithfully adapt the breakout manga series; it also puts its own spin on it in a way that manages to keep me guessing throughout each episode. It also helps the animation is very high-quality; thanks to being handled by the folks behind the massive smash of Attack on Titan (which has proven just as popular here as it has been in Japan). I'm at the point in the first season where the conflict is getting more and more intense; further compounded by the protagonist Yuichi having to face his adoptive brother Mikela in battle after he's become a vampire.

Last but not least; is another bit regarding Pokémon. The XY and Z incarnation began in Japan this past Thursday with a 1-hour premiere consisting of The Strongest Mega Evolution Act IV and the start of XYZ itself. I am personally not a fan of Act IV; but I found the first episode of XYZ to be a solid pilot even though I didn't like it as much as the 1-hour pilot of XY itself. I will get more into that in another post; but for now, I just thought I'd give you something before the month is out.

My Digimon recap will be completed and posted in November along with other material. For now; I plan on going to a special showing of Ghostbusters tonight to celebrate Halloween in my Jedi costume, so I can see how people react for when Star Wars: The Force Awakens opens in December. See you, space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment