Saturday, October 17, 2015

Recap: The Ghost of Maiden's Peak

Dedicated to the memory of my friend, David Lyle
1952-2015


Hello again. Well, after the annoyance bath that was much more Yo-Kai Watch than I planned on covering this year; I thought the Halloween festivities could continue with some nostalgic fun given the circumstances. 

Even so, I have a confession to make: when I was younger, I used to not like the subject of today’s recap. When I was a kid; I was so spooked by the subject matter that I couldn’t watch it for years. As time passed; however, I grew to appreciate it more for its gothic atmosphere and freaky imagery.

Yes folks, this is a case of me originally not liking a Kanto episode when I was 8; but finding much more appreciation for it as a teenager and a young adult. Of course, being Pokémon, it’s still quite silly; but that’s what makes it so cool and fun for me. With all that said, let’s open up “The Ghost of Maiden’s Peak” and journey back to a simpler time!

Once again, I don’t think I need to say anything about the Pokémon theme. The opening lyrics should be more than enough. 


I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!



We open on a cliff by the sea, where the ghost of a young maiden is calling for her love to come back to her, and then; it becomes a Gastly! This episode freaked me out a lot when I was younger; and I used to not like it for that. Now, I think this episode is an underrated gem from Kanto. 


What a terrible night to have a curse!

The ship is landing at Maiden's Peak, and Brock is distraught that there are no more ladies in swimsuits, since summer is over.



Ash and Misty are eager to see the festival as summer ends. Brock sees something, and Ash and Misty encourage him to cheer up.

Team Rocket comes up on shore, and Jessie and James are out for pocket change; but Meowth is hungry. Then, James sees the maiden; and Jessie conks him on the head to knock it off. 

Everyone is partying like at the Mardi Gras, or more accurately; a Japanese festival; which is quite common for anime to have. Some of my favorites have had them: Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, Strawberry Marshmallow- the list goes on an on. I like these scenes as they provide some good breaks between battles to make the cast feel more human.

Brock then sees an old hag; who tells him he will befall a cruel fate at the hands of a young woman. Still, this is more helpful than some of the other old ladies have been in my town.

Misty then claims she's the beautiful girl; and claims like that were much more common in the subtitled version. I'd have to agree with that. The old lady, however, dismisses her as scrawny. Ash agrees, and Misty bonks him on the head in response.

James finds a penny, which 4Kids doctored from a 1 yen coin in the Japanese version. Officer Jenny comes in and claims the penny for the lost and found; and Jessie decides to bail.




An elder of the shrine unveils a painting of the maiden, who had died over 2000 years ago; waiting for a young man who went to war, and never returned, till she turned to stone in waiting. I'm reminded of Pokémon Conquest, a very good spinoff crossover with Nobunaga's Ambition; but that's not important right now.





Brock is in awe at the maiden on the cliff, and James wants to steal it. Jessie objects, but Meowth suggests stealing the painting. Jessie agrees; and she and James then fall in the water! Meowth snarks that Team Rocket is slipping.

Brock is still waiting by the rock, as Ash and Misty head to the Pokémon Center. Despite Brock's promises, Brock does not make it back before curfew.

Then, Meowth wakes to his alarm as the ghost of the maiden puts him back to sleep and takes James. Then, she takes Brock, who is waiting by the cliffs.



Everyone is looking for their missing friends the next morning as Jessie tries to do the motto by herself as James chimes in and bursts out the door of the shrine! Brock follows close behind as they're both delirious! The old woman points out they've seen the ghost, as they embrace. Ew. Pikachu then zaps them back to normal, or so they think. The old woman then decides to sell them some stickers with charms that keep away the ghosts. Oddly, the 1000-yen and 5000-yen notes in her cash register aren't changed even though the penny was. Consistency? What's that?




The spirit has come, and it still wants Brock and James. He starts whining "I don't want to go" as he's pulled away. Oh, the Doctor Who fan in me is experiencing a funny aneurysm moment right now.

Still, Ash and Misty grab Brock by the legs as Jessie shoots the ghost with their rocket launcher, telling her she doesn't have "a ghost of a chance". Then, that quip got used endlessly in Yu-Gi-Oh and its progeny after that. Hopefully it will be toned down in Arc-V now that Konami has the rights themselves.




Gastly starts summoning illusions, including a mongoose to face Ekans. I guess they wouldn't come up with Zangoose for another 5 years. 



He then uses a fire extinguisher against Charmander. Ash sends out Bulbasaur and Squirtle, and Gastly counters with Venusaur and Blastoise. He then combines them into Venustoise! I imagine that would be a nice D-arts kitbash, or an early version of their Mega Evolutions.



Then, Misty pulls out a cross, garlic, a stake, and a hammer.

What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets. But enough talk. Have at you!


The sun rises, and Gastly then slips away.


The morning sun has come and vanquished the darkness.

The festival ends with many boats being set off to help any wandering spirits find their way back home; and with Ash and Misty dancing with all the other guests. These setups always remind me of the end of Return of the Jedi. The tune Jessie and James play on the taiko sounds like the Ewok celebration more than the Victory celebration. I would have liked to have played those songs on Taiko Drum Master. With this, everyone celebrates the end of summer and beginning of fall! 




“The Ghost of Maiden’s Peak” is sure proof that time can easily change one’s opinion of certain episodes. I really enjoyed how it approached the mythology of the series; as well as offering some really spooky interpretations of Gastly for younger viewers. It may scare them, but it's a controlled dose of such a thing, which I find to be acceptable. Helped that it aired alongside Beast Wars and Sailor Moon on the UPN affiliate when I used to live in California; and alongside Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Men in Black when it moved to Kids WB. The animation is also pretty good for its time; standing out as one of the better episodes in terms of how scenes are lit and colored, and how characters move even when not battling. Overall: it's a good episode that helped condition me for my fascination with the paranormal; especially in anime and video games.

The next recap in the festivities will be Digimon-related; so you’ll just have to wait and see which one I have in mind. See you, space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment