Tuesday, April 11, 2017

My Thoughts on Pokémon The Movie I Choose You (2017) Trailer 2.

Hello everyone. On April 7, a pair of new Japanese trailers were uploaded to YouTube for the 20th Pokémon film installment: Pokémon the Movie I Choose You. In this post, I will be addressing the new information in the trailers as well as covering points that other sources overlooked.

Some information remains from the earlier adverts, and the film is still a re-imagining of the original series; though as I'm about to tell you, there are some new elements that intrigue me.

After a new shot of Ash and Pikachu running through a field, we see some shots of various Pokémon, such as this one in a cityscape showing Gastly, Haunter, Grimer and Abra. The attention to detail in this shot alone is wonderful, and I get the feeling I'm really going to enjoy this movie when it's officially released.






Before that, there is a shot in the forest (if you'll forgive how I've cropped this on my old computer) with Paras, Scyther, Weepinbell, Weedle and Kakuna in very lush detail. Much like Origins, XY and Generations before it, it almost looks like something done by Studio Ghibli in the Pokémon 'verse.





This bit by the campfire is also a nice touch. I always like it whenever the journey of a Pokémon trainer has quiet moments like this. Even in a quest to find Ho-Oh, it's always nice to just take in the scenery; having your best friends by your side.





Also, despite not being introduced to the series until ten years after it began; it seems a Piplup will be involved. You know the new elements I mentioned earlier? This is one of them, and there's a lot to address in this trailer (not quite as much as Thor Ragnarok, but that's a whole different thing to be excited for).






Proving that we all won't just be guzzling "member berries", the film will officially say: and now for something completely different: Marshadow!

Marshadow beside Ash's legs.



Yes, the film will mark the official debut of Marshadow; with an announcement also coming on the official Pokémon YouTube channel here. The Pokémon had been part of a data leak before the official launch of Pokémon Sun and Moon, but now, this mythical ghost/fighting type will be officially introduced in the movie.

Also, rather than re-imagined versions of Brock and Misty (though I am not ruling out their appearance like some others), the film will also bring new companions on the journey to find Ho-Oh, such as this adventurous tomboy named Makoto (no relation to the Street Fighter character). She also trains the Piplup I just mentioned.






Rounding out this power trio is Souji, a young man who wants to one day be a Pokémon professor. He trains a Lucario, a fact which I am pleased to report because Lucario has been my favorite Pokémon for some time; and I will address the reasons why when I get to the movie featuring him (probably doing that one next month at the earliest, even with the summer movie season starting.).





Also, while some YouTube users insinuated that this character was an older version of Red, it's actually a new character known as Bonji; who has spent a large part of his life researching Ho-Oh. I rather like the idea of an older mentor figure being part of the story, especially in a new version of something I love. I can imagine with how he will help Ash, Makoto and Souji in their quest, something similar to Spock Prime in the alternate reality Star Trek films or Han Solo in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens could be done. I've mentioned before that the mentor archetype is one of my favorite fictional character types, so I am very eager to see what Bonji can do.






Of course, Team Rocket is still around, though what role they will actually play in the film remains to be seen.





Additionally, there is a new rival known as Cross, who favors an Incineroar. Again, I don't know how this would affect Gary being in the movie (some of the writers of Mewtwo Strikes Back jokingly claimed his agent made too many demands, so not a stretch for his character), but given how he wants to be the ultimate trainer that puts strength above everything; I think it may be a good contrast to Ash's idealism. Above all, I can't imagine the character having more problems than Alain.




Of course, before the promotional stuff comes in (I will finally address some of this in a moment), we then get a fantastic shot of Ho-Oh spreading its wings!




It also seems the "Ash-Pikachu" that was also part of the data mine is also going to be DLC for the movie depending on when the ticket is preordered in Japan. I imagine that this will have to be done differently for the US, but I want them all (Even the AG one).






Last but not least, is a charm with Pikachu wearing Ash's new hat to be picked up at the door. Other figurines bearing this likeness will also be released soon, and I want them all as well.






Even if there was a lot of content in just under two minutes, I am pleased with the reveals and I can't wait to talk about more. In the meantime, however, I'm going to work on stuff for health and train for the April International Challenge while I watch Doctor Who. After that, I will probably start work on the recap I have chosen to replace the next Code Geass R2 recap (you will see a reworked version later on down the line, current events right now don't make me comfortable to recap the next episode right away). Later this month will also see the recap of the Deoxys movie and some other surprises. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment