Thursday, April 13, 2017

Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters Coming this fall, still no word on Yo-Kai Watch 3 coming stateside.

Hello everyone. Well, with yesterday's Nintendo Direct presentation, an assortment of games was leaked for the Nintendo Switch (which I am still contemplating getting for Christmas or my 26th birthday) and the Nintendo 3DS. Ones that stood out include Fire Emblem Echoes, Ever Oasis, and an assortment of Kirby games for the 25th anniversary of the series this year. I am also thinking about Miitopia and the remastered version of Dragon Quest IV.

Now, comes the reason I decided to make this post. Despite the fact that Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls have only sold 160,000 copies, Level-5 is still charging ahead with the series: the company is finally localizing the "Shinuchi" version of the game as "Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters" this fall.

Even if no exact date has been given (there may be more information at E3 during Nintendo's presentation), it begs the question of how much longer will this be sustainable? Normally, when a game that's successful in its home country but not ours; they just move on to other markets. However, it seems that despite the evidence otherwise; Level-5 and Hino seem convinced that the series will break out here. Nintendo is even hyping this version as the "definitive edition" of the game.

Personally, I'm more interested in Lady Layton, Snack World and Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom; as well as Hino's desire to expand on mecha from what he learned in LBX: Little Battler's Experience. To say that this is a risky move in a year full of highly-anticipated games is analogous to saying this administration has had more trouble compared to previous ones: technically accurate, but it tends to understate the overall gravity of the situation.

Since there is still no confirmation of an English release of Yo-Kai Watch 3, I suggest this may be the last chance the series has to try to take the US by storm. If the game doesn't sell well here, it means that there won't be any more installments. No Western release of the third game, no Busters/Blasters spinoff; no nothing. Most of the 50 episodes that Disney XD has ordered for their second season have been eaten up, and the possibility of a third season and more toys seems uneasy based on how both those elements have underperformed as well.

Once I am done with my other plans for this month (such as my next recap and the Deoxys movie), I will probably do another recap of the anime. I have one of several episodes in mind before I do the Lucario movie as well as my true 300th post (I still want to do the same thing I had planned before this setback with my main computer). I also have a surprise planned for next week, you'll just have to wait and see what it is. That will be all for now. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment