Sunday, April 16, 2017

Recap: It Came From the Other Side

Hello everyone. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am delaying my next Code Geass R2 recap AGAIN so I can rewrite it and remove some lines I feel may be too soon. Trust me that I'll have plenty of material to work with regardless, but there's just too much going on this week that makes me feel uncomfortable with the subject matter. In the meantime, I think I will do another episode of Digimon Tamers! While the series is being delisted from Netflix as of today; I was fortunately able to find it in its entirety on Crunchyroll to do this recap. So, let's open up "It Came from the Other Side!"

As per usual, we get some "previously on" narration to sum up the last couple episodes, which I won't be doing. They're not bad, but I also can't think of much for positive recaps or good-natured ribbing either.







After that, we get the remix of the Digimon theme for this series, and I really like the industrial metal style they went with for it. I'm posting a link of it again.








Picking up from the events of previous episodes, we see Henry Wong recalling how he met Terriermon in one of the Digimon video games. This is going to be a recurring thread throughout the episode, and the primary reason I chose to recap it: since I've already done Takato's backstory in the pilot, I'm doing Henry's now, and I will do the same for Rika's in the near future.







That night, after Takato gets out of the bath, he starts designing a Champion form for Guilmon, which he dubs Growlmon! Ah, youth.











I really like Takato's enthusiasm here in this early stage. Even though his character arc has many twists and turns as the show goes on, for now; he's simply a young man making fan art in his notebook.






Elsewhere, Rika is astounded at the fact that Terriermon digivolved into Gargomon out of sheer will, yet even with all her modify cards she applied to Renamon, she hasn't! ... We'll talk when I do her episode.






















The next day, Calumon is astounded at the kindergartners passing by as he watches from a street sign! I used to have a figure of this guy when I was 9, I wonder what happened to it? Maybe he'll be part of these goods they're making for the anniversary of the series (seriously considering some of the D-Arts figures, as well as the Digivice and cards that come in a replica of Takato's pencil case).










In front of the fish store, Takato meets with his friends to trade cards. I already knew about Kazu, now I remember that the other kid's name is Kenta! Fairly common name in Japan for young boys, I gather. Anyway, Kazu dismisses one of the modify cards he has as worthless, and just gives it to Takato for nothing. I get the feeling it will come in handy later, since it's established that Kazu isn't the best player of the TCG. 









Then, Takato meets up with Henry; but all of a sudden, another Digimon materializes at the construction site!  



Takato's Digivice identifies him as Gorillamon, and it seems he has a bone to pick with Henry and Terriermon!  






It's here we learn how Henry and Terriermon met: during the holidays, Henry got the new Digimon computer game as a present. Additionally, his older brother got a pair of basketball shoes, his older sister got a jersey and his younger sister got a doll (if I made a mistake, feel free to correct me in the comments).








Naturally, Henry wastes no time in installing the game on his computer, and he selects Terriermon to be his partner in battle!



Greetings starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to Defend the Frontier against Xur and the Kodan Armada!








Gorillamon was his opponent in the game, and I really like the color balance in the digital world in this anime. Too much of warmer or cooler shades and you might as well be animating in black and white. Green has that aura of cyberpunk written all over it.








With some quick thinking, Henry is able to give Terriermon modify cards that increase his speed and power stats












The battle was also the first time he digivolved into Gargomon! Look at this design. A bigger form, gatling guns for hands, a bandolier full of bullets and to finish it up, a pair of pants. I guess it would be a bit much for him to be modestly nude, but events later in the season change that; again, knowing what lies ahead. I would go into more detail, but I'm paranoid enough as it is. 







With the help of a blue card in his collection, Henry is able to give Gargomon one last push to defeat Gorillamon, and his card scanner turns into a Digivice! Even at this early stage, the deconstruction elements of the series are already setting in.











Furthering this is the fact that when Terriermon materializes in his bedroom, Henry realizes that he's not just a bunch of data; he's an actual creature with feelings like him!











Back in our world, Takato gives Henry the card that Kazu gave him; and as expected Henry actually knows how to use it!

The card gives Terriermon a pair of braces on his ears that increase his strength! Makes sense to me.










Not only that, the braces can also restrain Gorillamon!

So, Terriermon is able to defeat Gorillamon by firing his attack into his gun (just go with it); but Henry tells him not to absorb the data!

We then close on Takato and Henry about to head home. Guilmon is hungry for peanut butter (in addition to the day-old bread from his parents' bakery, he seems to enjoy that), and Takato reminds him he isn't a Digimon. Everyone realizes the danger has only begun, as has my work on this series.





"It Came From the Other Side" is another strong entry into the DIgimon Tamers canon. I have long been a fan of this anime for how it distinguished itself from the two seasons of Adventure beforehand as well as many subsequent entries (I still plan on possibly looking at Appli Monsters in the near future), and this is another good example of that after I recapped "Guilmon Comes Alive" a couple years back. The animation is great for this anime, and Henry's backstory provides clear motivation for his character and establishes his bond with Terriermon. I still submit that Yo-Kai Watch could learn a thing from this anime, and that article I keep mentioning didn't do this series justice at all.






So, I will work on this surprise I have planned for Thursday; and I wish you all a Happy Easter. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment