Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Recap: Lights, Camera, Quack-tion!

Hello everyone. With me going to see my father later this month, I thought I would take a breather from finishing my coverage of Code Geass R2 and do something I have been considering ever since I looked at "Go West Young Meowth." Let's open up "Lights, Camera, Quack-tion!"

After the opening theme, everyone decides to do some training outside Pallet Town. Brock has also made some “chili” for lunch, which is actually curry. While they are both spicy, they’re not the same thing; and I’m thankful that more recent seasons aren’t making these mixups anymore.

They also come across a young woman named Katrina. While Brock tries to hit on her, she instead wants to battle with Ash; and he agrees! When Team Rocket tries to interfere and steal Pikachu, they instead bag Katrina’s Raichu by mistake! They then hear someone shout “cut!”

It turns out that the whole thing was being filmed by director Cleavon Spielbunk, a sort of non-union Japanese equivalent to Steven Spielberg! He also comments that he’s won the Golden Growlithe award, though he’s clearly standing in front of an Arcanine. Consistency? What’s that?


Ash and Misty have apparently never heard of him, causing Spielbunk to bemoan that kids "only watch crazy cartoon shows!" Well, those and effects-driven tentpole blockbusters. Brock, however, knows who he is, citing that he apparently produced his favorite film, "I Saw What You Ate Last Tuesday." Uh, 4Kids? That film you're alluding to isn't a kids' movie; and that's coming from someone like me.






I don't care if she's someone who can inflate her body to match her ego! I worked with Katherine Heigl, for corn's sake!


So, this leads to an audition to help find more Pokémon to star in the movie; including a song and dance competition!



In addition to a brief mishap with Jigglypuff, there's also a bit with Meowth on the ukelele, referencing the "Meowth's Party" ending from the Japanese version. There was even going to be a GameCube game spinoff in the vein of Mario Party or Wario Ware; but it never got released.

 



Misty tries to send out Staryu, but Psyduck pops out instead! The real kicker, however is that Wigglytuff loves that goofy borderline kappa, much to everyone's surprise! The new co-star has been found!


The movie is set to have a mix of action, drama and romance; and Spielbunk hopes that it will bank $50 million in its opening weekend, or roughly 1/4 the opening of Black Panther in today's money.

While this episode may predate the whole "Hot Skitty on Wailord Action" meme, I actually don't have a problem with it from both the perspective of a 7-year-old and a 26-year-old. It may not be traditional, but damn it: it doesn't matter if they're a Wigglytuff and a Psyduck, they can still be together!




While Arbok and Weezing couldn't cut it in auditions for extras, Jessie; James and Meowth have ulterior motives to try and sabotage the movie! You could start by moving it to August, or cutting your losses against another one you can't compete with.


Spielbunk decides to film the ending first, "so he knows how it ends." Interesting, wonder how that would affect reshoots. Forgive how this next bit is kind of dated, but next thing you know; they could replace Psyduck with Christopher Plummer.


Naturally, this big battle is already a big mess; but it's still not the most troubled production I've seen for a video game-related movie. The stories of the infamous Super Mario Bros. movie are well-documented, and apparently the 1994 Street Fighter movie was as insane to make as it was to watch.




Team Rocket returns and tries to use a crane to abscond with most of the Pokémon, sans Psyduck. Misty then lets out a line that always amused me whenever I watched this episode, and still does: "Don't you even know the right way to get kidnapped?!"




As the production gets to be a bigger mess than the reshoots of Justice League, Psyduck's face gets red and its eyes start derping! You know what that means!




That's right: Psyduck's headache lets off a powerful Confusion attack that frees all the Pokémon from the crane and sends Team Rocket blasting off! The whole thing has also been filmed, with Spielbunk saying he has more than enough footage for the movie, much to everyone's delight!





We close on the Pikachu's Jukebox segment for this episode, set to the track "Together Forever," which I have been listening to quite extensively as of late. Four months to Pokémon Let's Go!






"Lights, Camera, Quack-tion" is a great companion piece to the following episode, "Go West Young Meowth," and the ideal episode I need to unwind before I get on the plane to see my father in California next week. I also find it to be a relatively amusing way to get ready for the potential dub of Everyone's Story, the Detective Pikachu movie and Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution next year. I only have a few more episodes in mind that I want to cover before my retirement later this year, but I have a solid idea of how I want to approach them. I'm also going to a gathering for my brother's 21st birthday tomorrow, so what I have next will be out before I catch my flight on the 27th. See you. space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment