Saturday, April 30, 2022

New Pokémon Snap (Switch)- One Year Later

Hello everyone: today marks one year since the release of New Pokémon Snap on Nintendo Switch; so I thought I might give my take on the game and my experience with it since then; so let’s get started.


Courtesy: The Pokémon Company/Bandai Namco


Having spent just over 200 hours with the game since it launched, I can definitely say that it’s a worthy successor to the original Nintendo 64 game (which is also coming to N64 Online in the near future); and one of my favorite games of 2021 on its own merit. 

While Bandai Namco definitely made quality-of-life changes and updates where they had to after taking the reins from HAL Laboratories (the leaderboards in particular remind me of the GSP system in Smash Bros.), I am very glad that they took the “not broken, don’t fix it” approach to the core gameplay. Even when I’m not trying to fill in the blank spaces in my photo album or complete research missions, sometimes it’s the simple joy of taking pictures on a whim. Much like Animal Crossing: New Horizons the year before; it helped provide a sense of stability and serenity in a time where there’s admittedly not much of a supply of either. 

Of course, it’s a graphically gorgeous title either way. I am definitely liking the variety of visual styles in this era of the franchise; and this is no exception. I don’t know about Bandai Namco taking over the main series; but I could see them as a partner going forward. The developer has a good working relationship with The Pokémon Company, and with Generation IX coming later this year; I can definitely see the artistic influence in even the early build of Scarlet and Violet. 

I know this isn’t the most in-depth content I’ve made; but I wanted to end this month on a positive note. Also, consider this a bit of a preview of how I will approach the Sinnoh remakes in May and Pokémon Legends Arceus in July. I’ve beaten the main quest on the former, getting close to beating the main quest on the latter and will get as close as I can to 100% completion on both by the time you see my full reviews. I’ve got a solid idea of what I want to say; just need to figure out how I’m going to say it. That will be all for now, and I will see you all in May. Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment