Monday, April 18, 2022

Review- "Hoenn Alone/Get the Show on the Road" (Pokémon Master Quest/Advanced)

Hey everyone- seeing as this year marks the 25th anniversary of the Pokémon anime and the 10th anniversary of this blog; been working out how I want to commemorate both. One of these would be to examine episodes I haven't yet; as well as seasons I have in new ways. 

In the past, I have made no secret of my feelings for Advanced Generation. I have numerous reasons for not sharing others' praise of it; with me feeling it didn't really come into its own until later. This is in contrast to the original series, which I still have much enthusiasm for. So; I think the best way to start would be to talk about the beginning of AG. However, at the same time; I can try out an idea that I've been contemplating. 

As I've mentioned before; I consider "Gotta Catch Ya Later" the true finale of the original series, and that the episode that followed would work better to help lead off AG. Even though I just mentioned my mixed feelings towards AG, I will at least concede the series didn't start on the worst note. So, let's get this started.

Might as well begin this with the last episode of Master Quest and the last episode of the original series by proxy, so let's open up "Hoenn Alone." The episode actually could work fine as a prologue to AG, as it opens on Ash and Pikachu on their ferry from the Seafoam Islands to Littleroot Town in Hoenn. It seems fine enough, with them playing in the pool and relaxing before the next phase in their journey.


His first objective is of course, to make good on his promise to Oak as well as Harrison; to see Professor Birch. I've made no secret of the fact the professors have always been my favorite characters; and while Generation III may not be my favorite iteration; Birch is easily my favorite character of that.

Anyway, Ash speaks with the captain; and should things stay on schedule, the ship will arrive the following night. Ha! Never heard that one before.

Team Rocket, having stowed away in a dinghy on the ship; attempt to abscond with Pikachu one last time before the series underwent its first major rebrand. They slip into his bunk that night; and end up damaging the ship in their escape attempt; forcing it to dock for repairs and requiring Ash to search the docks for his friend. (sighs)

While not a bad concept on paper, it suggests that even at this stage that there was opportunity to change up the status quo with new characters- other than the protagonist. Say if it was a spy from Magma or Aqua in the common room that tried to make a move on him? I'll have more to say in the second half, so let's continue for now.

Docking the ship, Ash gives chase with two trucks; inadvertently turning this into a shell game. Conveniently, Officer Jenny shows up to intervene as if it were someone tagging into a game of Final Fight.

Elsewhere, the jar holding Pikachu gets knocked off the truck; freeing him and forcing another enemy mine with Meowth to escape the docks. 

Jenny sends out Pidgeot as a sentry to search from the sky; and the captain has repaired the ship, meaning Ash must find Pikachu before that night's departure. Again, this could have worked fine as a prologue to Advanced rather than the end of the original series. Also, I am seriously trying to resist the urge to make a joke about Ryo asking where sailors hang out. Think I'll save that for when I finish and talk about Shenmue the Animation.

I do like how this episode reaffirms Ash and Pikachu's bond; which is one advantage this series has over others of its ilk and still does. Depending on what happens with these in-development live-action spinoffs (in theaters, Netflix and HBO Max); I can see that working as a bond beyond words like Han Solo and Chewbacca or C3P0 and R2D2.

Back with Pikachu and Meowth, the two fend off some Haunter and are asked to stay with some strays at the docks. As Jessie and James activate an Electromagnet to take Pikachu; it's dawned on me watching this again that this episode is a bit overstuffed in terms of story. Even as someone who's known to be an avid defender of the Johto arc; it feels like they had plots for a bunch of different episodes merged into this one. 

Pidgeot burst the balloon, and Jenny has found them out like someone going after Mr. Big's followers in a game of NARC.

Jenny reprimands Jessie for their slights; saying this won't stand. This aggression will not stand, man! Jessie's response is actually kind of funny; and not that different than any other discourse I've seen over the 10 years I've been writing here.

Jessie: "You know how much I care about what you stand for?! About this much, officer."

Entertaining villainous quip aside, Team Rocket doubles down on the magnets; to the point of attracting all the metal debris in the area and drawing the ire of all the other Pokémon at the docks; including some Haunter that were causing trouble earlier. The Rattata break through the magnetic clamps; and the Haunter sends them blasting off by destroying the magnet! I am so glad Michael Bay didn't direct Detective Pikachu in hindsight.

After making peace with the Rattata and Haunter, Ash and Pikachu get back on the ship, reaching Littleroot Town the following day. However, because of the events that have transpired; Pikachu has been overcharged by the electromagnetism! Next time, a new beginning, right now.


The second half of this review begins with the first proper episode of Advanced- "Get the Show on the Road." The cold open does an OK job of introducing May as the new female lead, and even as someone who's had mixed feelings toward her in the past (I've always preferred Sapphire from the games and manga); she's admittedly not too bad here, bicycle wipeout aside.


Making landfall in Littleroot Town, Ash makes contact with Professor Birch; and they speed to his lab with Pikachu wrapped in a cloth bundle. Basically, they have to bleed off the excess power discharge; which is kind of like what I have to do with my PS4 sometimes.

However, the machine itself gets overloaded; and Ash has to follow a disoriented Pikachu outside while Birch waits for a new trainer to get their first Pokémon! This part of Pikachu's POV as he's delirious from electric fever is actually pretty well-done; especially as his eyes glow red and he bolts off.

May drops by the lab, but since Birch left with the Poké Balls; she disregards advice to wait and heads into the forest, where he's conveniently also doing field work before getting attacked by a Poochyena. The liberties it takes with the games are... interesting to put it mildly. May misaiming Mudkip might not be the biggest change (sure makes more sense than turning the Meowscular Chef into the unholy spawn of Gordon Ramsay and a Jellicle cat); but my easiest "what if" scenario for her is May studying under Birch like in the games. I could also tell Hidaka's comment was made in jest, and I can definitely understand given my own experiences at that age (I am sincerely going to miss him).

After that scrap is taken care of, Birch heads off after Pikachu; saying that if they don't properly discharge the excess electricity, he could explode; and I don't mean like after having the Taco Bell breakfast box. (Sorry.)

Birch tries to warn Ash, but Pikachu heads off a cliff and Ash dives after him! OK, I know this is a serious scene and one of the better ones of the episode; but even I can't resist putting in this Speed Racer clip.

Grabbing Pikachu in one hand and a branch in the other, Ash grasps Pikachu as electricity continues to erupt from him! Birch and May lower them a rope, and they start rappelling back up the cliff. They reach the top, and though Pikachu has discharged more of the excess power; it's still not enough. I also may have had mixed feelings to his AG outfit in the past; but it's grown on me over time. Even to this day, every one of his outfits has used the primary colors to some degree; and it's an easy way to draw attention visually. Mario, Superman, Optimus, Sailor Moon- I can do this all day; even if the Hoenn costumes still look they were borrowed from Jet Set Radio Future.




Team Rocket, who had been chasing them all day; come in with their latest mecha, which conveniently is able to finish bleeding off the excess electric discharge and send them blasting off! It also fries May's bike, which is a gag that does end up getting gradually phased out over time; and we'll talk more another day.



Staying the night at Birch's lab; May decides to choose Torchic as her starter. I personally don't have any take on Ash thinking Treecko is water rather than grass-type; since it's kind of like when Walter thought his ex's terrier was a Pomeranian. He didn't get it running shoes, he's not buying it a bucking root beer; he's not letting it take your clucking turn, dude.

As for May herself- she does get better over time; but I never knew what to make of her character's initial indecisive tendencies. Like I've stated before, I feel Serena is the character I wanted her to be at the time; and Chloe Cerise in Journeys has that feeling too.

The next day, the two are pointed in the direction of Oldale Town; and we close on the two traveling together. That certainly was an interesting experiment.



As a transition from the original series to the Advanced Generation; these two episodes actually do an okay job all things considered. Though I've made no secret of episodes I've disliked in the past (believe me when I say this tenth anniversary party's just getting started); these episodes actually mark a good representation of my true feelings toward AG at the time: it wasn't anything personal against the show or anything majorly wrong with it, I guess my mind just needed a break from it for a while. Though the story is not my favorite by any means; there are some decent battles and reasonably smooth animation. 

I have much more planned throughout this year; including something I have been wanting to do for a while. You should see it soon, let's say it's destruction in human form. That will be all for now- end of line.

No comments:

Post a Comment