Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Recap: Electronic Money Panic

Hello again. By the time you read this, Mega Man Legacy Collection will have been released; once again chronicling the classic Mega Man games in one collection; with its release on Nintendo platforms being packed with a limited edition Gold Amiibo of the the title character. There is also the highly anticipated release of the spiritual successor Mighty No.9; with Keiji Inafune at the helm; even with the delay being on the table again.There is also a planned animated reboot from Man of Action (Ben 10, Generator Rex) in production.

I certainly hope it will be good; given the Blue Bomber’s less-than-stellar track record with animation. From the quasi-Rugrat with a chain smoker’s voice from Captain N to the myriad of liberties taken with the infamous Ruby-Spears cartoon; he’s more or less been batting zero on TV. So, for the 30th anniversary of the series; I think it’s finally time for me to retire the Mega Man NT Warrior recaps. There are plenty of other series I can mine for recaps in the near future; but this will be the final time I go back to Den Tech City. Let’s open up “Electronic Money Panic” and get this over with.


This will be the last time I skip that theme song; so it’s only right I play something more my speed. 



We open on Mr. Higsby, once again cooing over rare battle chips; then lamenting the fact that he can’t pay for them due to a lack of funding. I can’t even tell you how long it took to get a mistake cleared up with Amazon to get my Blu-ray copies of the first three Pokémon movies and my Lucas Amiibo. By the way: once I’m done with my recaps of the made-for-TV movies, I’m going back to the theatrical ones, which will be my primary focus for Pokémon recaps; though you will see some episodes when I want to. 




This business deal is wreaking havoc with the stock market; and the plot is as FAKE as these stocks. This is going to be a doozy of a last recap of this anime, isn’t it?





Also, in spite of what the bank claims, their security is pretty flimsy. To think people wonder why everything went south in 2008.




It seems the villain for this episode is yet another reimagining of a classic villain: Magnet Man. Time has NOT been kind to you, my friend!









Inside, everyone is watching a video on how this philanthropist called Mr. Gauss is buying up large chunks of the city and giving to various charities; which immediately tells me he’s a villain, given how they’ve been set up with the utmost lack of subtlety in every recap I’ve done in the past of this anime.




Yai, of course, scoffs at the idea of charity work in favor of buying yourself lavish presents. Oh, I’m going to enjoy throwing shade at your misfortune in this episode.








Look at Yai’s face in this screen cap. She clearly knows she’s been one-upped, and doesn’t like it one bit.



Furthering this is when Mr. Highball apparently ordered a fancier dessert than she did! 





Mr. Hippopotas is all too proud at his newfound fortune; and is not above gloating about it!




At the same time, funds are appearing in Mr. Hippowdon’s account like magic! 


I'd buy that for a dollar!
This whole situation is so ridiculous, it makes me wonder why people give so much heat to how The Dark Knight Rises depicted this robbery/large-scale embezzlement!


This is a stock exchange, not a bank, there's no money for you to steal! "Really? Then why are you people here?"

He’s even bought himself a large supply of battle chips to commemorate the occasion!



Big money! Big prizes! I love it!


With the last of her electronic money cards drained; Yai is devastated at this development. 





I have blisters, my Mary Janes are dirty, and I don't know how much longer I can complain!
Glide even tries explaining things to the other Net Navis. This is going to suck, guys.

This brings me to the fatal flaw with this episode: more than the incoherent writing, stiff animation or stilted voice acting; the episode is expecting us to sympathize with Yai, despite the fact that in this episode and prior ones, she constantly acts like a spoiled brat; even when she’s penniless! You can’t have your character act like this and then expect us to feel sorry for them! It doesn’t work!





Furthering this is when she accuses Chaud of stealing her money; but is quickly rebuffed when Chaud has to get to the bottom of his own money being stolen! I certainly hope the next step isn’t peeing on his rug! 


Your wife owes money to Jackie Treehorn, that means YOU owe money to Jackie Treehorn!
As Lan rolls off to investigate what’s going on, we get ANOTHER broadcast that just happens to show what’s going on in the plot; continuing a tradition set by Gabunyan Hazard!

Call me crazy, but how is no one putting this together? For that matter, what kid is going to be interested in stocks in a plot? 

Chaud then determines that Yai’s fortune was funneled into Mr. Wigsphere’s account; yet NO ONE ELSE HAS BEEN ABLE TO FIGURE THIS OUT?! Why aren’t you committed? 




Also, for some reason, Proto Man has a red Cyber Sword. Still not as cool as Kylo Ren’s lightsaber. 




Proto Man then engages Magnet Man; as things get even more inane.


Mike Nelson: Oh look! It's not often you see the stupidest thing you've ever seen!


Lan reaches the new Chip Shop and decides to get to the bottom of things. 

Before we get started, does anyone want to get out?

Mr. Pitstop then tries to attack Lan with a mop, but mistakenly hits himself instead! 


It's official-you suck!
Upon finding out he’s been had; Mr. Gauss then has Magnet Man multiply! Alliteration, hah! 




The animation hasn’t gotten any better since I started recapping this anime; and it’s only right I get worse animation than the South Park episode “Good Times With Weapons” to play me off.

In a fiery explosion, Magnet Man is defeated! How fittingly anticlimactic.

Then, Mr. Rig Juice comes to after his self-inflicted injury. 

There’s a portal to another part of cyberspace; but I honestly don’t care anymore. I just want to be done with this and work on other things to help end this month on a higher note.


After Mr. Gauss  escapes on a Da Vinci flying machine (just go with it); Yai’s fortune is returned. Status quo is god, of course.

Since no one else reamed out Yai for the way she’s been behaving, I will. Yai; you are by far a symbol of everything that’s wrong with the class divide today. If you were in any other position; you and your family would not have survived. Even Donald Trump; with all his egotism and xenophobia would be ashamed to be associated with you. Do you understand? I am comparing you unfavorably to Donald Trump, Miss Ayano!

Given how I decided to put these recaps out to pasture; I think a little reward is in order! First is The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon; then a special surprise for Pokémon Day! See you, space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment