Thursday, February 18, 2016

Recap: Gohan's First Date


I couldn’t help notice that amid the handful of Dragon Ball recaps I’ve done; I haven’t done any of Z yet. Thought I might fix that. Given how my Valentine’s day was spent avoiding love in favor of watching Deadpool; it would be apropos that I did a recap that further explains this attitude. So, let’s open up “Gohan’s First Date” and find out why. 


While the theme song has a usual flavor of driving rock I expect from DBZ; but as I’m hearing this for the first time, I honestly don’t know what to make of it; as Cartoon Network usually cut right to the “previously-on” recaps when I was younger.

Speaking of which, after a brief recap of the last episode; we open on Gohan, in the guise of the Great Saiyaman, wondering how all the hero stuff came naturally to his father. At this point; Goku is dead after the events of the Cell Games and training with King Kai for when the need arises again.





The next morning, he’s nearly late to school when he’s confronted on the roof by Angela. Just go with it, you’ll have more fun that way.

In class, Gohan is so distracted that he’s sent out into the hall by the teacher; which is a common punishment in Japan; I noted in my Digimon Tamers recap. It might just be me; but i think the teacher kind of resembles Ben Stein’s character in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. Make your own assumptions while I play this music. 





Angela, apparently swooning over Gohan is sent out as well, much to Gohan’s confusion. 




Angela is hopelessly smitten with Gohan, and demands he go out with her; or she’ll tell everyone his secret. It’s stuff like this that makes me focus more on my studies and other activities.

As he flies off; he dryly remarks that “superheroes don’t get blackmailed.” I guess no one’s told Zack Snyder. 




Back at home, he asks his mother Chi-Chi for advice on the matter. We’re then given a flashback to the original series; when their relationship began. While the Ox King wanted Chi-Chi to get married; even though Chi-Chi was on board with the idea, Goku notably thought “marriage” was a type of dessert until it was explained to him. So, their first date consisted of sparring. Youth is wonderful, isn’t it? 







he time for the date comes; and Gohan is dressed in a yellow coat that looks similar to one Hillary Clinton wears (no disrespect intended for the presidential candidate, Secretary and former First Lady).

Their first stop is a movie; and Gohan is struggling to stay awake at the whole thing. That’s generally what happens when people tried to watch Dragon Ball Evolution. It was so bad that not only did Toriyama disown the movie; he got directly involved with the series again after being hands-off for the bulk of GT (he provided some designs, but did not write or direct any episodes).

Next is having coffee; with 10 spoons of sugar. Still got nothing on L’s consumption. 




Then, what should happen but a building on fire; with Videl trying to stop it! However; Gohan realizes she’s in danger; and leaps into action as Saiyaman to save her and all the civilians! He quickly punches some holes in a water tower to put out the fire in the nick of time! 





Upon turning back; Videl asks Gohan to explain himself. When Angela threatens to reveal his secret; Gohan lets out an exasperated scream at the whole thing!






Angela then comes clean about why she set him up: his secret is not the fact that he’s Saiyaman, but rather he wears boxer shorts with teddy bears on them. Not only that, she actually thought they made him cuter.




Needless to say, Gohan is flabbergasted at the situation. It is here that I’m letting you all know that I’m asexual. I don’t even kiss someone unless they’re absolutely comfortable with it; and when I enter a relationship; I make clear that I want it to have more to offer than just someone to lie down next to every night. To that end; while I have no objections to romantic subplots in otherwise unromantic works like this one, I don’t obsess over them like some other people. 





So, we end on Angela finding a new flame as Gohan tries to comprehend what a confusing first date it’s been. It happens to the best of us, buddy. 






“Gohan’s First Date” can best be summed up as follows for such a situation: hilarity ensues. While I’m not the biggest fan of romantic comedies anymore (that went out with the “Dubya” era); the amount of comedic misfortune is wonderful. The animation also has this charm to it in how it shows how the ‘90s kind of hung around a while in the early 2000s (I definitely needed to feel good about myself, given what happened that September). I thought it would be good to do this; since I need a breather from what’s been going on this month; as well as what I plan to cover after this. You most likely know what’s coming; so keep your eyes open. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment