Thursday, November 3, 2016

Recap: A Festival Trade, A Festival Farewell


Alola everyone. While I regret once again that I’m doing this recap later than I expected; I can also take this opportunity to celebrate the release of Pokémon Sun and Moon drawing ever closer! While I didn’t initially intend for this recap to be used for that purpose; given how much work I’ve done on it already, I might as well keep going as part of other things I had in mind. So, let’s open up “A Festival Trade, A Festival Farewell” and celebrate!





We open on Ash, Bonnie, Clemont and Serena stopping by a Pokémon Center on their way to Anistar City; and it just happens to be in the middle of an event known as the Gourgeist Festival! 



Upon seeing Nurse Joy dressed up as her assistant Wigglytuff, everyone decides to take part; thanks to Serena and her costume kit! 

In a few short moments, everyone is dressed up; human and Pokémon alike! I myself was an OC Pokémon trainer this past Halloween, and I plan to very likely wear the same outfit when I go the Sun and Moon launch in about two weeks (I have my preorders paid off; plan on going after communications on launch day). 






After the “Be a Hero” theme song (which I still enjoy, and I am eager to hear the music in the Sun and Moon series); we get our title card, which like my favorite episode “Pikachu’s Goodbye;” helps raise the stakes but doesn’t outright spoil the end.







It turns out Team Rocket is taking part in the festivities as well, with Jessie as Mismagius, James as Gourgeist, Wobuffet as Sawk; Inkay as Pikachu, and Meowth as Banette. Meowth likes his costume; but points out it’s tough to talk when the mask is zipped. 


Bring out the gimp. "I think he's asleep." Well, someone's gonna have to go wake him up, then.




Then, our character of the day, Count Pump; spies Jessie’s Pumpkaboo from his balcony. He also looks kind of like Mario and sounds like Prince Lemongrab. 


This castle is UNACCEPTABLE CONDITION! ONE MILLION YEARS DUNGEON!


After the count’s steward invites Team Rocket to dinner; he asks to trade with his Pumpkaboo, who happens to be a prince. We also find out that Jessie’s Pumpkaboo is not only the largest size that can be caught, but a female as well. Who’d have thunk it?

With an ulterior motive in mind; they agree on the condition they go after some “thieves who have their Pikachu.” Those sly devils.

Everyone is taking part in the celebration, with Ash as Snorlax, Pikachu as Psyduck, Serena as Florges, Bonnie as Ludicolo, Dedenne as Corphish, and Clemont as Watchog; from the left. As for someone I’m omitting: don’t worry, he’ll get his turn a minute.





Suddenly, the steward confronts them in an attempt to get Pikachu; but because Chespin was dressed as Pikachu, they got him by mistake! It’s a fair cop. 




The count tries to initiate the trade; but everyone else confronts the count and demands Chespin! He orders them not to interfere, even trapping them in a cage! Is that really necessary? Heck, he just decides to keep going on with the trade even though they’re trying to escape! 






Yet, Jessie is reluctant, saying that she’s been through a lot with Pumpkaboo! Yeah, I have a habit of getting emotionally attached to a lot the Pokémon I catch in my games. It’s the primary reason I can’t do the Nuzlocke challenge without hating myself. 







The count even decides to sweeten the deal by throwing in a Mawile, which can Mega Evolve! That’s one of my favorite ones that can; and I can’t wait to see what the Z-moves can do.





The trade is made, and she evolves into a Gourgeist! Isn’t that something?



Yet, when the count rescinds his offer, Jessie decides to welcome Gourgeist with open arms; including the ones that make up Gourgeist’s hair! Aw! How sweet!









I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids and that Pikachu!


Even being sent blasting off doesn’t bother Jessie, as she has a new Pokémon to call her friend!








As an apology, the count treats everyone to dinner and a fireworks show to close out the evening. Even in silly side trips like this; I’m reminded of how much myself and others enjoyed this anime.




“A Festival Trade, A Festival Farwell” is an ideal way for me to transition from my Halloween celebration to getting hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon. With the animation being slick and colorful and equal footing being given to both the leads and the villains; I honestly can’t wait to see how the Sun and Moon series will build on these successes. I’m trying to keep an open mind; since a lot of the arguments that people are making against it are roughly the same arguments that are made EVERY time the anime is rebranded to match the games. At this point; the phrase “Pokémon is done” has been said so many times that the words have lost all meaning. So, I might as well have a bit of fun with it as a lifelong fan. Anyway, I’m going to go see Doctor Strange this weekend; so I’ll be back next week with another piece I had planned to help get ready for Sun and Moon. See you, space cowboy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment