Thursday, November 24, 2016

Recap: Snack Attack

Alola everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to all my readers in the US. Before I get started on this recap, I thought I would share some more thoughts on Pokémon Sun and Moon; both the games and anime. Since the second 1-hour special has aired today in Japan, I can now definitely say that the journey in Alola isn’t going to be the disaster many were expecting it to be. The animation is also very energetic and fluid; and I still don’t find the redesign to be as bad as others. Some of my favorite anime use that kind of bizarre style. One Piece is a key example of that. The tone is also the anime that I keep wanting Yo-Kai Watch to be. Since Cyber Monday is coming, I may order the Z-ring and Z-crystals soon, to say nothing of anything else for my collection.


As for the games: I’m about 36 hours in combined; and I’ve already cleared the second trial. While the absence of the gyms may seem easier on paper, there is a definite learning curve; and the abilities of both newcomers and true believers alike will be tested. I’m also still not spoiling anything about the story. Go play them yourself if you want to know what happens. So, in order to give my thanks as a fan and for the special DLC I got for getting the games at launch; I thought I would do a recap that ties into that. I also noticed I haven’t done any recaps of the Orange Islands yet, so let’s open up “Snack Attack” and fix that. 



We open on Ash, Misty and Tracey venturing through the seas of the Orange Archipelago on Lapras’ back when they happen on the 7 Grapefruit Islands and decide to land there. As I pointed out in my recap of Pokémon The Movie 2000, I just find Tracey bland on a personal level. I can honestly say that from both the perspective of an 8-year-old and a 24-year-old; I can’t think of any major positives or negatives for him. He merely exists to me, that’s all.










Ash picks one of the grapefruits, but unwittingly runs afoul of one of the farmers! 









After they clarify what’s going on, the farmer apologizes and introduces herself as Ruby (no relation to the player character of the Ruby and Sapphire games).





Sixty-four, (om), sixty-three, (om)...



Needless to say, they’re all aghast at the situation; least of all, Ash. Confound these yokai, they drive me to drink! Don’t worry fellas, it’s Mountain Dew Throwback, even if certain unnamed parties have made me want something stronger.

Everyone then decides to start picking as much of the grapefruit as they can, but Snorlax just keeps guzzling down what they pick! Yeah, the one’s I’m training in my games really like the Poké Beans; so I’ll probably keep them in my roster for a while. Still figuring out the Z-moves (though I did at least get the gist of them from the demo). 



Ash then wonders if Snorlax can get to the other islands, and Misty dryly replies “Not unless it has a ticket on a jumbo jet.” Maybe it could be airlifted on a pair of Black Hawk helicopters like that old movie Operation Dumbo Drop! You may have to Google that one, fellas.






Yet, it seems Snorlax can swim! I wonder if it can learn Surf.

So, Ruby goes to alert the other islands while Ash and his friends try to stop Snorlax from doing more damage! 






Of course, on the second island, Team Rocket is cooking up another scheme when they’re confronted by Snorlax and the children! 



Meanwhile, Ruby is working hard to help stockpile all the grapefruit before it’s too late! On another note, look at that big old cell phone she has. No games, no texting, no mobile web, no camera or video, and an external antenna! I’m old enough to remember when just having one was a big deal; and not just wanting to be the first to get the latest iPhone or Android device. 






However, not only does Snorlax overpower Squirtle, he tries to eat Misty’s Goldeen! Hey! That’s not a piece of sushi!







Despite Team Rocket boasting they can do better, Snorlax just sits on Jessie’s Arbok and wipes his face with Lickitung’s tongue! Typical.




Even Psyduck cannot conquer Snorlax, largely because he tries to eat a whole grapefruit; but it gets stuck in his throat! Always love that Pokémon’s comedic potential, even in failure.








James then tries to hypnotize Snorlax, but unwittingly puts himself to sleep instead! Not exactly David Copperfield, huh?

Misty then tries to lull Snorlax to sleep by counting Snorlax! We won’t come up with Mareep for at least a year! 









Even when Jessie poses as his mother, Snorlax kicks them away after a tone-deaf attempt at a lullaby!


Ha ha ha! Yataa!



So, everyone else decides to lure Jigglypuff to the main processing plant to put Snorlax to sleep! Yeah, I forgot to mention that she was floating by them earlier in the episode; but it works pretty well, all things considered. 



They have a stage set up with multicolored markers, now all they need is the star!











Though Snorlax has a high resistance (most likely going to be using the DLC I got as one of my walls in Sun and Moon); he does eventually succumb to Jigglypuff’s song as Ash catches him!







Then, everyone else falls asleep; including Ash as his hat turns sideways; like this pillow I used to have when I was younger. 


Ash used Rest! Ash regained health!




In addition to a new friend, the land has been fertilized for new trees because of Snorlax! Everyone is given a bag of candied grapefruit peels as a reward, and they set off on their way!








“Snack Attack” is a solid outing in the Orange Islands. While it may not be my favorite Pokémon saga; it does have plenty to enjoy to watch it every so often. As such, it’s one of the ones I very rarely pass up an opportunity to watch. With fast-paced battles and delightfully-colorful animation for the time; it’s a fun little episode in its own way and that’s all it needs to be. With that on the table, I expect to enjoy the Sun and Moon series in a similar fashion. I may look at some of it when it officially comes stateside; since it’s going to start on Disney XD next year after a preview with the Volcanion movie. Overall, I think it’s probably going to be the hit for the network that Yo-Kai Watch was supposed to be. It should prove a good companion to the likes of Gravity Falls, Star Wars Rebels and Star VS the Forces of Evil. December is going to have plenty on the table, but there’s something I want to do before the month is out. You’ll probably see it after my speech on Monday. That’s all for now. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment