Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Recap: Pokémon Sun and Moon episodes 3 and 4

Hello everyone. As I said in my look at the Darkrai movie, I will probably have to bump some of what I had planned to July to my dismay; because I am currently writing this at my father's place. I am also working on getting my primary computer repaired still; and it turns out that needs more work than I thought on it. So, I thought I would try to at least get some of what I had planned out by the end of this month; and take a little breather in the process. Let's open up the next couple episodes of Pokémon the Series: Sun and Moon! 

For the sake of argument, I will be looking at the third and fourth episodes as one recap, since that is how they were aired in Japan. The first part is entitled "Loading the Dex!"









After a brief cold open that shows Team Rocket's arrival into the Alola Region, we pick up where we left off, where Professor Kukui has given Ash the latest model of the Pokédex and is about to help him set it up!

A Rotom merges with the Pokédex, and this gives us the Rotom Pokédex, or RotomDex for short! I was wondering how the dub would render this one, but I'm rather pleased with the VA's performance. It sounds kind of like Alpha-5 by way of C3P0. As for this bit about trying to grasp Ash's vernacular: again, I submit that while a dub may not always be able to get the letter across of the original; I'm at least happy if they can get across the spirit of what they were going for.







Later that day, Ash shows the RotomDex to everyone at the Pokémon Academy; and they're all impressed! Sophocles is especially intrigued, so much that he wants to examine RotomDex's insides! I'm fairly certain that would void the warranty, Sophocles.


After Roto and Principal Oak bond, Professor Kukui gives everyone an assignment to catch Pokémon in the forest, and also gives the RotomDex a chance to show his worth! To be honest, I actually rather like some of the things being implemented in this series. As for any comparisons of the RotomDex to Whisper: again, I don't see them. Personally, I get more of a vibe of Kremzeek by way of R2D2 and now BB8.



In the forest, Team Rocket runs afoul of a Mimikyu, and when Meowth tries to translate what it says, he instead concludes "This is a family show, you're better off not knowing what it's saying!" Guess Mimikyu has been through the bad parts of Reddit. 















Meowth then makes the mistake of looking under Mimikyu's cloak, and is then trapped in limbo between a fantasy of Glaceon, Gardevoir and Lopunny, as well as a nightmare of Gastly, Haunter and Gengar!

As Jessie and James try to bring Meowth back, I think I will share this fellow's Pokédex entry in Sun: "Its actual appearance is unknown. A scholar who saw what was under its rag was overwhelmed by terror and died from the shock." Once again, very morbid for an E-rated game.


Everyone else enters the forest, and they come across Mimikyu! Funny, I didn't see this guy until I did the Ula'Ula Island trial. Wonder how the series will handle that? They just started the Akala Island story as of the most recent Japanese episode.






Team Rocket then interferes with Ash and Pikachu's battle with Mimikyu; and it turns out that Mimikyu has a bone to pick with Pikachu! Again, I have no formal opinion on that fan theory, but I wonder how this would affect other appearances from Mimikyu. The trial on Ula'Ula Island I just mentioned, for example.


Anyway, Mimikyu decides to side with Team Rocket, Bewear takes them away and Ash continues his search for new Pokémon! I'm going to take a quick break, and I will do the second half when I come back.






Now, we enter the second half of this double feature: "First Catch in Alola, Ketchum-Style!" After a brief cold open with Litten getting some food from an old vendor, we see another failed attempt to catch a Grubbin! Again, barring any shinies, if you've caught one of those, you've caught them all. The island is crawling with them, too.







Anyway, Pikachu is injured when the Grubbin tries to escape; and Mallow leads Ash to the redesigned Pokémon Center! In addition to the Nurse Joy here having a very nice design, her assistants in this region are Blissey and the new Pokémon Comfey! Again, I haven't compiled my list of my favorite Alola monsters yet, but there's a good bet this fellow will be on the list.








We then cut to a nest of Toucannon and its pre-evolved forms, but then; a Rowlet they have taken in has mistakenly brought a wind chime in with their food! Even with what we find out later, still pretty good of Toucannon to take the fellow in, his anger has become a bit of a meme.


Toucannon? (Translation: What in tarnation?)


The next morning, Rowlet comes and meets Ash and Mallow at breakfast. I must say, the new art style is actually fairly well-suited to this anime. I've only seen a couple errors in this episode, which is pretty good. There was Ash's Z-Ring disappearing while Comfey was on his neck, and now his hat fell off when he tried to save Rowlet; but it's back on him even though he doesn't put it on. Guess it must have been the same way I got an Alola Hat Pikachu from a guy on the GTS in Spain who didn't know what he had for a Barboach! Happens sometimes.

Ash then tries to request a battle, but before he can finish the request; Rowlet grabs a melon and flies off into the forest!


Rowlet brings the melon back to Toucannon, and I rather like how TPCI kept Rowlet's Japanese voice. In addition to saving them money in ADR, the voice for his counterpart, Mokuroh, is absolutely adorable.

Meanwhile, Jessie has captured Mimikyu and befriended Bewear; and they try to steal all the Pikipek and Trumbeak after they claim they stole Bewear's food! That's interesting, the place is full of berries both in the forest and the market. Interesting course of action.


While Pikachu engages Mimikyu, Ash has Rowlet free his adoptive family, and the two of them work pretty well as partners! After XY being the first series for him to forgo any grass-types, and I will tell you more in a moment.


Rowlet rescues Toucannon and the rest of his family, and Bewear once again takes Team Rocket back to its home before they can strike the final blow. Ash then congratulates Rowlet for a job well done. I've been wanting to do these ones for a while, and I'm glad I was able to do them now to give you all something even if I couldn't do all I wanted this month.







While Ash initially decides to leave Rowlet with his adoptive family, Rowlet instead decides to join Ash on his journey! I am among many people that believe the anime can change your opinion on certain Pokémon, and this birb is definitely proof of that. I plan on starting with one in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (what I call it will depend on whether it's a boy or a girl in each version).





So, Ash catches Rowlet; and it turns out that before the credits roll; Rowlet seems to like Ash's bag! Looks like a reverse Nebby on our hands (note: I am not sure how this leaked animation test from longtime animator Masaki Iwane will play into future events; but it intrigues me based on how the games' story played out. We'll see.).



















These next couple episodes of "Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon," are further proof that the journey in Alola fortunately isn't the disaster many were expecting it to be. I have enjoyed it more than Yo-Kai Watch as the series is thankfully more than just a halfhearted attempt to ride the coattails of that series. While there are still some detractors (I will address one piece in particular fairly soon), it's actually been a relatively enjoyable series on the whole. The animation is still nice and colorful, and I can definitely buy the humor value on RotomDex being an "absent minded professor" more than Whisper. As for Litten as opposed to Jibanyan: hold that thought until my next recaps I have planned for this anime.

Even though I must once again delay some of what I had planned to July, I still have something in mind to close out this first half of 2017. I will still do the next couple DP movies; bad mecha series and video game anime then; but this is something I've been meaning to do ever since I first read about it. This will be all for now. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment