Sunday, October 15, 2017

Recap: Surprised to be Dead

Hello everyone, and welcome to my look at the first episode of YuYu Hakusho in honor of the 25th anniversary of the series! I was wondering what I would do for Halloween this year, but now I’ve decided to take a look at something from when I was younger to see how it does now! Let’s open up “Surprised to be Dead” in another installment of “From Humble Beginnings!”




Want proof? The first thing we see in this anime after that is our lead dying after he gets hit by a car trying to save a little boy. Been longer than I thought since I saw this, but it kind of reminds me of the gloriously violent and profane credits to Deadpool being set to the very mellow “Angel of the Morning” by Juice Newton.






After our title card, we then see how we got here. Using an opening “in medias res” is a tricky narrative device, but much like “Brittle Bullet;” this episode does it quite effectively. 

Text-Surprised to be Dead


We then get our proper introduction to Yusuke Urameshi, who is described by the series creator, Togashi Yoshihiro; as the Japanese teen equivalent of the man in the song “Big Bad Leroy Brown” by Jim Croce. 






Further evidence is seen with his exchange on the roof with his lady friend Keiko: we get hints that he skips school so often that he wrecks the grade curve of the whole class, he openly refuses to wear the blue uniform of the school (going with his green one instead); and when he tries to peek at her bloomers, Keiko slaps him; and it’s implied he liked it. 





However, Keiko’s friends (one of which is voiced by Stephanie Nadolny, the same voice actress as young Goku) still believe that Yusuke is a very bad boy, even having a bunch of bikers at his whistle call! 






As some of the other teachers try to denigrate Yusuke, he doesn’t even bat an eye at this; telling them “You shouldn’t talk, it makes you sound stupid.” I will have to remember that one.



He then runs afoul of the principal, Mr. Takanaka, who is less than pleased that Yusuke is doing all this, especially for ignoring his page for him. He is also voiced by Kyle Hebert, using his narrator voice; probably his most commanding tone for me at least.



No one ignores my announcements! When I tell people what's on the next Dragon Ball Z, they listen!




He then tries to drag Yusuke inside by the ear, but Yusuke tricks him with a rubber ear that pops off in his hand! Why that little squirt! 





Yusuke heads home, and it turns out that his relationship with his mother isn’t the best. Researching this before I started writing this recap, it turns out that Mrs. Urameshi had Yusuke at a young age; and his father also left her shortly after he was born. Unlike Digimon Tamers, however, this was retained in the dub. So, it’s somewhat understandable that environment led to how he behaved. 






Yusuke then heads into the city, and asks himself if this day “can possibly get any stupider?!” I ask myself that almost every day, Yusuke. Right on cue, he bumps into his frequent rival and later vitriolic friend Kuwabara, who routinely challenges Yusuke for the toughest guy in town. 











Anyway, we are just about where we started, since Yusuke managed to get this little boy’s ball; but also amuse him by making faces and acting like a drunken salaryman in a karaoke bar! I know there’s a callback joke I could make, but since Ultra Sun and Moon come out in 32 days; I’m giving mentioning what I have in mind up for now. Instead, with the chopsticks up his nose and his jacket over his head; Yusuke is just one ass dance away from doing his best Shin Chan impression. 







Now, we have arrived at Yusuke’s death; and he’s greeted by a guide named Botan! However, he’s skeptical, saying that witches are supposed to be ugly! Really, Yusuke? Ever see Wizard of Oz? Of course they can be pretty! 






As night falls, we now reach Yusuke’s funeral; where everyone has turned out to mourn him.






When two of the teachers insinuate that Yusuke tried to take the kid out himself; Mr. Takanaka coldly tells them that a student just died, as if to say, “that’s not funny, you sick fucks!”



You keep this up, and you're going to join him faster than you can say "on the next Dragon Ball Z!"



Of all the people that came to Yusuke’s wake, the child he rescued seems to miss him the most, and this moment is what begins Yusuke’s story arc. 





So, we close on Botan taking Yusuke to the spirit world to begin his training! It’s been a long time since I’ve seen this, but I enjoyed doing this more than I thought I would. 
Are you trying to put me in the nuthouse?! "No, just into this hole."



“Surprised to be Dead” is yet another anime that surprised me when I watched it again for this recap. I liked this show a lot when I was younger, but it’s once again a case of being better than I remember it when I was 10. The animation has held up surprisingly well over 25 years, and while it may seem like a proto-Bleach at first glance; the storytelling and unconventional characterization definitely make me want to potentially do more in the near future; but that probably won’t be until 2018, depending on where I am. I will also have to watch more as well, to see what I can work with.

In addition to my Pokémon movie marathon and my riffs on the live-action remakes of Death Note and Ghost in the Shell, my next piece lined up is my oft-delayed look at the first episode of High School of the Dead. In honor of Daisuke Sato and George A. Romero, check back next time for my look at “Spring of the Dead!” See you, space cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment