Sunday, December 17, 2017

Black Clover: A Skeptic's First Impressions.

This is another experiment I thought I would try this time: in light of the Toonami premiere of Black Clover as well as its brief theatrical run, I thought I would do something different for my first impressions. While many are hyping this anime and its manga as the next big thing, I will give my first impressions from the perspective of someone who's skeptical of the idea. I won't be giving it a full recap, since it's too early to tell if their claim of the series being "the next Naruto" will hold up (really appreciate it you guys stopped doing this, because that thought process has led to an incalculable number of series that failed to reach that expectation). These are just brief thoughts I will give you on each episode, in an attempt to recreate my point of view.


Episode 1: Asta and Yuno, 12/2/2017

While some parties have suggested the basis of Asta's character was "what if Harry Potter was a knight and kind of dumb," I submit a more accurate description would be "what if Harry Potter tried to be a knight and lacked anything that made his character unique or interesting?" Not just that, but the episode seems to be rife with shonen and YA clichés. Admittedly, I've never been more than a casual Naruto fan, but it feels like I'm watching the first episode of Naruto with a different coat of paint almost seven years after the fact. Seriously: downtrodden village, orphaned kids, loudmouth lead contrasted by a more coolheaded one, potential villain setup- it hits all the bullet points I just mentioned and more that I'm going over in my head.

On top of that, the voice acting is inconsistent. Don't get me wrong: it's solid overall, but having your lead shout every line doesn't really endear him to me as a viewer at all. Also, the other character performances range from dull to irritating as all get out.

The weakest element is probably the pacing. The template is there for a good series, but it doesn't help when this first episode tries to cram an entire season's worth of material into a single 22-minute episode. I'm left with characters that I either know/care nothing about or ones I want to tear out the larynx of. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but in terms of potential that it's not taking advantage of, it's essentially the most annoyed I've been in a long time. It's basically a similar complaint for a teen/YA series that I have for kiddie ones like Yo-Kai Watch: unless you take advantage of your potential and try to stand out more, simply saying your series is "the next big thing" will not automatically make it so. After the first episode, all I know about Asta and Yuno are they want to be the king of magic. That's it: they're the most basic "red oni/blue oni" characters I've ever seen, and that's rare.

The strongest element is the animation: it may be one of the most cliché YA series since The Mortal Instruments, but I will give it credit for looking amazing. The settings are very detailed, the colors are simple, but effective and the way the characters move in their spellcasting is impressive.

Still, the idea that it's going to be as big as Fairy Tail after that series just concluded a successful run is highly dubious right now. It may just be the first episode (I might feel differently after I see the next few), but I'm honestly getting more of a vibe of seeing the tail end of Rave Master or Zatch Bell when I was waiting for Dragon Ball or Transformers Armada to come on.

Even though there were times where I was shouting at my TV in irritation, it's still not the worst thing I've ever seen. It is, however; a might dull to start. I am glad that I'm not recapping the series, at least not yet, because I have almost nothing to work with. I don't really know much about how the spellbooks, or "Grimoires" work; or the world itself. The villain is also not all that interesting in the first episode; since he won't shut up about how he was exiled or insulting the heroes. He's exactly like the generic cackling villain The Incredibles made fun of: "He starts monologuing! He starts this prepared speech about how FEEBLE I am compared to him, how INEVITABLE my defeat is, how the world will soon be his! (chuckles) Yammering! The guy has me on a platter, and he won't shut up!"

Seriously, how seriously I take his "chain magic" is negated not by the obvious CGI; but by how much he prattles on about how evil he is. He acts like he's He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, but comes more like a less funny version of Jeremy Irons in that Dungeons and Dragons movie from 2000 (by the way, hope that reboot will be good; given the passing of the game's creators). I really don't think it will be on the same level of popularity as Naruto, Bleach or Fairy Tail; but I guess I'm not as easy to impress as Tom Speelman.

To be fair, even though I don't entirely agree with his claim that the creators are skilled at "breathing life into stock characters," there is room for the series to grow. It's just that the attempts at world-building and characterization feel somewhat disjointed from the main story. If they made the emotional moments deliberately like this, such as Pulp Fiction or Memento; it might work, but instead; they land with all the nuance of a Family Guy cutaway gag, as do the jokes. I also find the idea that teenage fantasy fans or people that are into Pokémon or Dragon Quest would like the series rather disingenuous, since all those groups have much better options out there. The Promised Neverland might be interesting, but I will have more to say after the next few episodes. Seriously, Tabata: don't sell me a mangled copy of Charlie Bone and tell me it's the Lord of the Rings. The same goes to people who are pushing it: unless I have significant reason to be invested in the characters or story, you're just giving me a bunch of blustery buzzwords that don't really mean much. My plan is to go through the first four episodes (that were actually given a brief theatrical run, no less) and see if things improve. I know Fairy Tail took a bit to get going too, but it managed to win me over fairly quickly. It will be in my usual threshold, but if it doesn't win me over soon; I'm dropping it like a pile of rotten gillyweed.

Episode 2: The Boys' Promise, 12/9/2017

After the hot mess that was the pilot, this episode is at least somewhat better paced. It still has a lot of the same problems, especially with a flashback between the past of Asta and Yuno. The strongest elements are still the animation and music: the theme song is admittedly very nice sounding, and the artwork is pretty in how it looks at least. The characters have very fluid moments and the design of the medieval environments are gorgeous.

Still, even if the episode showing the backstory of our leads is decent, it still has many of the same problems I had last time. Not only is the voice acting a mixed bag still, this time, I think Asta's line reads actually caused my ears physical pain. Even worse, the actor for Asta is actually capable of doing a more subdued line read, but he still shouts most of his dialogue like an over-caffeinated David Arquette. Seriously: I can count on one hand how many times in the past two episodes that Asta spoke without shouting, and that doesn't bode well. It is possible to have the "red oni/blue oni" dynamic without making the "red oni" an overzealous Gary Stu and the "blue oni" a slightly more emotional version of Sasuke Itachi. I mean, Micah Solusod does fine as Yuno; but Dallas Reid was totally miscast as Asta. Every time I hear him speak, I just keep thinking how much better Yuri Lowenthal would have been for the role.

Also, very few of the jokes land, especially not a running gag about Asta wanting to marry the nun watching over them. I know this is set in medieval times, but personally, I prefer the Catholic Boat.


Some of the gags also make me wonder if the people read their own script, even in its original language; such as Asta willing to keep trying to bed the nun "till he's old and gray" when he already has silver hair! Maybe it was a mouth-flap thing, but even I'm trying to get better at proofreading my own content here.

Even a drunken hooligan in a flashback seems confused as I am, to the point where he just leaves after a one-sided brawl with Asta over Yuno's pendant! I still don't really know how the "Grimoires" work; since Asta somehow gets one out of sheer will and is able to summon a claymore that reminds me of a much better anime with that name or Cloud Strife's Buster Sword, depending on my mood.

Overall, it's not quite as irritating as the first episode, but it still feels like reading all the appendices of my Lord of the Rings omnibus in the span of 22 minutes. I'm about halfway through the initial four episodes,  I will probably have my impressions fully formed by then.

Episode 3: To the Royal Capital of the Clover Kingdom, 12/16/17

OK, because this episode is the third part; I will be doing something different. Since the fourth episode won't be shown right away in favor of a Cowboy Bebop marathon next week (something I like a lot more, by the way), I will finish this post in one go; and I will have my initial thoughts compiled after this episode and the next.


Three episodes in, and we're just NOW getting the story of the Wizard King. Merlin's beard: you could have started the story here! I mean, you could have fleshed this out more, but it lasts all of one minute before we get the theme song and Asta training. Once again: STOP! SHOUTING! Also, where's the consistency? How the Hell is this anime still saying he doesn't have magic when he just willed a sword out of his Grimoire?

Now, we also have a discount Dumbledore or Gandalf having Asta take the test, despite the priest's doubts. Wow, you're a real dick, dude. Also, I guess comedy is subjective, because when I can telegraph each joke before it even is told, it just doesn't work. I would appreciate it if he could get through a whole episode without shouting; or at least deliver a line normally for more than five minutes. It reminds me of what the crew of the Satellite of Love said to Jay Cosgrove: "I'll give you a cookie if you shut up."

Still, the animation is relatively nice. I may be skeptical of the show reaching the same level of popularity of Naruto and Bleach; but Pierrot is working the same magic they did in art for those series they did in this one. The characters may be more generic than in the infamous "My Immortal," but the way they move and the environments they traverse are stunning. Other credits of theirs include series such as YuYu Hakusho and Great Teacher Onizuka, both series I'd rather be watching right now.

Even if Asta's constant shouting is still a deterrent (I'm this close to going deaf in my right ear), I am at least glad about how he told a pessimistic orphan not to be such a stick in the mud. I am at least glad they're leaving the village for now, mainly to get away from those gags about how the town is a bigger wretched hive than Tatooine or Jakku and Asta trying to jump Sister Lillie's bones.

There's also still a problem of showing most of their arc in flashbacks rather than just letting it come naturally. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but there are some major flaws.

Also, I really don't know why Asta uses a modern phrase such as "I want to be the Wizard King like yesterday" when this anime takes place in medieval times. It does make me want to play more of my copy of Breath of the Wild, though.

Still, one of my jokes about Asta riding back home on a white toy horse led to me cracking a joke about a white Bronco in my malaise.

As the credits roll, and Asta and Yuno reach where their test is being held; this episode is at least passable. It was better than the first one, but not as good as the last one. I have one more to watch before I decide how to feel about it all; but I still have mixed feelings toward it. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but it is painfully generic. It's not as fun as Dragon Ball (both Super and the Final Chapters of Kai), not as badass as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, not as time-tested as Cowboy Bebop or Outlaw Star, or as quirky as One Piece or Fairy Tail. While both those series had Western motifs and similar character types, they did more to stand out among a market with many offerings for the shonen demographic. I type this even as someone who understands that the medium of anime is much like a blank canvas, and ALL animation in referred to as anime in Japan, which I mentioned in my look at "Brittle Bullet." So, let's get this over with.

Episode 4, The Magic Knights Entrance Exam

I am streaming this episode online, since I don't feel like waiting much longer and I have other stuff I want to do before the year is out. It's been a Hell of a year, for obvious reasons.

So, Asta and Yuno arrive in the castle town of Kikka in the Clover Kingdom to take their exam, and typing that sentence is invoking memories of writing cheesy fan fiction when I was a teenager. I honestly don't know if I would have liked this show if it came out a decade ago, but it might have been seen as novel if it was released ten years ago; when the medium was still making waves. Now, however; it doesn't seem as special as many critics and fans suggest. I mean, I can understand how some people are reacting to The Last Jedi; but it's easy to forget The Empire Strikes Back had a similar reaction back in the day. I can only imagine how I'll be viewing the new movie in 37 years, but that's not important right now.

What is important is that I'm finally getting used to how obnoxious Asta is after the fourth and final introductory episode for me. I mean, Luffy and Natsu may have been pretty loud too, but at least Colleen Clinkenbeard and Todd Haberkorn understood when they had to yell; which wasn't all the time. Their respective Japanese counterparts did too, and it makes me wonder if Dallas Reid has stock in Ricola.

Still, even if the characters are the most basic examples of the "red oni/blue oni" character type I've ever seen, the design of the town itself is fantastic. I do kind of like how people use magic for doing things as simple as peeling apples or roasting meat in the market.

Also, for some reason, when Asta suggests that things at the church are lonely without him; I got an image of Squidward throwing a party in my head.

Sure enough, the other orphans are fine without him; and now I'm half convinced that the actress playing Sister Lillie wasn't originally cast on purpose.  She's so nonchalant about all the weirdness that maybe it was just a janitor who walked into the recording studio and they just gave her the part to make her feel good.

The first thing that made me laugh, roughly 4 minutes into the fourth episode of this was the way that Asta bit into a fried snake. Why is it that the shouting and uncomfortable gags about nuns didn't do it for me, but something as simple as this kid eating fried food got a chuckle out of me? I guess comedy really is subjective.

Five minutes in, and as Asta and Yuno enter the gate, I'm feel like I'm having flashbacks to when I watched the Warcraft movie last year: not the worst I've ever seen, but it's definitely not the best. I will have my final thoughts after I'm done, but it's just OK so far.

After Asta and Yuno register for the exam, some other guy dismisses their village as being "no name." Christmas: why do so many works of fiction feel the need to write characters this way? Can we just have one scenario where someone isn't a backhanded dickhead to people from a place they've never been? Even the other villages in Naruto weren't this hostile to the students of Leaf Village! Do you understand this, Tabata? I am comparing your work unfavorably to Naruto!

OK, I know I'm being hard on this anime as a skeptic, but I do kind of like the idea of the "anti-birds" that inhibit someone's powers during the test. They make look like a bunch of off-model Taillow, but as a way of minimizing cheating; its fine. Whatever gets me closer to finishing this, I will take it.

As for how they react to Asta: maybe it's just me, but I don't really get the humor of using birds to symbolize idiocy. I mean, your hunting dog laughing at you for being a bad shot, fair enough; but it just seems like an excuse for him to crash into a fusion of Zoro and Sanji minus the appeal of either. At least Christopher Sabat still puts on a good performance to contrast Asta screaming more than Shia LaBeouf.

At this point, I've given up trying to understand the humor; and I honestly don't know what to make of the Black Bulls apart from them being your standard "ragtag bunch of misfits." The guy I just mentioned was Yami Sukehiro, who just seems like Gaston minus the humorous ego. Sadly, the role of the Casanova goes to the appropriately-name Gauche, who doesn't have the same charm as Sanji or even Brock. There's also Gordon Agrippa, who resembles Marilyn Manson with the design and antisocial tendencies. 

Ten minutes have passed, and I don't really understand this. The only thing that I've been able to discern is that the entrance exam determines what team all the students will be placed on; but because of how chatty the cast is, least of all; Asta, I feel like I just binge-watched an entire YouTube channel of Rick and Morty fan theories in the span of just an hour or so. I would honestly have an easier time making sense of the Citadel's future than this.

So, after a solid four more minutes of exposition dumping; we get the test, and as the proctor summons "magic trees," Gauch says it's "amazing as always." I don't think I can go that far: that would imply I understood what was happening and had some form of emotional investment in the story. Again, this was the intended fourth part of the story; I didn't mess with the episode order at all. It just feels like I've read a whole primer for "A Song of Ice and Fire" in 14 minutes, and the anime isn't over yet. It's even getting a simuldub, which should tell you how much they're betting on this.

Just shy of 16 minutes, the test is simple: mount your broomstick and test your flying skills.

That is one line in my notes, and it took a whole lot more dialogue from the proctor to say that. Who they join or if they're even eligible is determined by how well they do. (sighs) ... You know, there is an anime that not only captures the unique storytelling and visuals of the medium; but also the magic of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It's called Little Witch Academia. I'm in the process of watching the OVAs and the first part on Netflix, I will see what else I can find soon. I still prefer being drawn into a world or being able to enter it on its own terms than being hammered into submission. It's why I really enjoyed Blade Runner 2049, and really did not enjoy the new Mummy this year; but that's beside the point.

As the tests continue, I'm the most bored I've been watching a series like this in years. As someone who considers "boring" a derogatory term, that's something I don't type lightly. This anime has managed to take wizardry and medieval fantasy, both things I usually find entertaining and make them as dull as filing paperwork.

Even the duel that ends the episode is anticlimactic, with Asta winning the duel and passing the exam with a single stroke. Well, I guess that rendered all the previous tests null and void. You know, I may be hard to impress; but at least it's not the worst thing I've ever seen. I may have been annoyed at times, but at least it's not as hard for me to fathom as the infamous cop with grenade balls.

Now that I've finished the initial four episodes of this, I can say that it's OK. For stuff I've covered on this blog, I've seen much worse and written about much worse. The animation and music are probably my favorite elements, because while this anime may not be the most original, it at least looks pretty and sounds nice (Dallas Reid shouting like the late Billy Mays not withstanding). At the same time, however; it's probably one of the most generic things I've seen in some time. I don't know how the series will do in the long term, but in the short term; reception is mixed among fans. So, I can't really say it will be "the next Naruto" here; and I'm speaking as someone who thought that series wouldn't catch on. To say I misjudged it would be an understatement.

Ultimately, I submit my biggest issue with the anime is that I just found it dull. That's more than I can say for Yo-Kai Watch, which actively insults my intelligence with each passing episode. I mean, you make it to 200 episodes and you celebrate your milestone by making a less funny mockbuster of Your Name and selling more of your overpriced toys and video games? Really? I concede this series could grow, but it needs to do more to stand out. At least, that's just how I feel. When Yuki Tabata decides he wants to move beyond basic hero character types and villains that stop short of twirling their mustaches like Snidely Whiplash; feel free to let me know. Until that happens, this is probably just going to be a sleep aid for nights that I don't feel like staying up until Outlaw Star comes on. That's all for now. Keep on rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment