Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Recap: The Superhero Secret

Dedicated to the memory of Adam West
1928-2017


Hello everyone. Seeing as how this year has been a wild ride, I thought I would just take things easy for my last few recaps of the year, one of which being my look at Pokémon The Movie I Choose You, which I am posting as I speak. I am also having to bump some of what I had planned to 2018, due to circumstances beyond my control. So, I think I will do another Johto episode I remember from when I was younger, especially with the recent news of Pokémon Crystal coming to 3DS Virtual Console this January. Let’s open up “The Superhero Secret!” 


I have spoken at length about how much I love the Johto Journeys theme before, so I will just link to it again and keep going.





We see Ash, Brock and Misty on their way to Azalea Town when they see a strange Pokémon in the treetops. After the title card, it’s revealed to be a Gligar with a scan from Ash’s Pokédex, which is a poison/ground type rather than what you might guess at first glance.

Team Rocket has laid a pitfall trap, which they intend to pump full of water to steal their Pokémon wen they float to the top. Um, that’s not how physics works. I mean, it’s not a stretch for a couple Pokémon Tech washouts turned bike gangsters, but still.

However, before they can finish this plan; they’re interrupted by Gilgarman, who indignantly tells Meowth he’s not wearing long underwear when he jokes about it. It could be worse, Meowth: he could have had rubber nipples on, too! 





I also find it somewhat amusing that they’re dismissive of the idea of superheroes, given how they’re trying to steal an electric mouse and an egg baby while partnering with a cat that sounds like a Chicagoland gangster.

Anyway, Gligar is able to fend off Team Rocket, and Gligarman is able to rescue Togepi! Everyone else climbs out of the hole, and even though Gligarman has kind of a rough landing, he gives them a whistle to call him in case they need him again and takes off on his motorcycle. He certainly knows how to make an exit, doesn’t he?



After that, a young woman named LaToya asks about Gligarman; and Brock once again tries to make a move on her. Geez, and I thought theater ushers were pushy! After Ash comments on seeing him, LaToya heads off on her bike. Based on what we find out in a moment, I have to wonder how her biking skills would fare.



Everyone heads into town, and they see a toy store that Brock notices has a symbol that matches the whistle on the spire! Now, if I could just find that last Infinity Stone before Thanos does.




They head inside the store, and it’s the exclusive home of Gligarman merchandise! The owner is a Mr. Parker; who doesn’t look like Tobey MacGuire, Andrew Garfield or Tom Holland. He does look like a very showy cowboy among the video games and toys of Voltorb and Electrode on the shelf. That FCC rule about the matter is complicated, but less of an issue now that the show has been on basic cable and now digital platforms for a while.




Anyway, Mr. Parker shows everyone a film about the Hero (yes, that is actually what it’s called): Gligarman! You can tell it was made a long time ago, given how the audio is kind of scratchy and the visuals have a bunch of sepia tones! 





However, when Togepi recognizes Mr. Parker from before, Ash puts one of the cosplay masks on him and figures out his secret on the spot! No different from Clark Kent’s glasses, the Ninja Turtles’ trench coats or how the Power Rangers dress in civvies that match their ranger colors.

While Parker tries to keep Ash from spilling the beans about his secret, Jessie decides to hatch another evil scheme while dressed in an outfit that seems to have been stolen from one of my tokusatsu series.





She also recruits James and Meowth as her henchmen, and she gives them Metapod costumes just by looking at them! I guess she has the same “clothes beam” as the abridged Piccolo.







Meanwhile, while Parker was apprehensive in an earlier scene, he does come clean that he does have a bunch of gadgets and a secret lair, so Ash was 2/3 right about his guesses.

LaToya also explains that Gligarman was a mascot for her father’s toy store to boost sales; even getting his own swag. Wouldn’t be the first time: in many ways, the manufactured mythology is tied pretty closely to the series and the merchandise-driven genre. Not just with this series: it seems when Hasbro first got the rights to distribute Microman and Diaclone as Transformers, they had to craft a whole fictional universe and story for each character.





Anyway, Parker is getting in on years and pounds; and despite his claims otherwise, is looking for someone to take up his mantle. This leads to a brief fantasy sequence with Ash in the costume! Given how this aired alongside Batman Beyond when I was younger, I usually have my headcanon version of him in Johto (as well as Gold) partially influenced by Terry McGinnis as well as Marty McFly.




Ash declines, but Parker still wants someone to take up the role of being the hero. At that moment, he gets an alarm that the shop is being attacked! Well, still looks like they’re in better shape than Toys “R” Us. … Too soon? 







Ash and Gligarman leap into action, and witness the shop being ransacked and the shopkeepers being put in Metapod suits! Geez, hate to be in their shoes on Black Friday.








The Big Bug catches them and brings them to the town square, but when Jessie threatens to unmask Gligarman, she’s confronted by a new challenger: Gilgirl!





While Gilgar is initially confused, Gligirl (really LaToya incognito); they do decide to play along. After they share a “High Claw,” Gligar cuts through the strands holding Gligarman, Ash and Pikachu hostage! 




Everyone engages the Big Bug, and this has to be a bigger snafu involving a Japanese robot than replacing Leopardon with the Iron Giant in Ready Player One! … We’ll talk another time, still skeptical about that one.


The Big Bug is shorted out from final Thunderbolt, which then explodes in a puff of green smoke! I needed a break before I put my bigger content out, and this was perfect for it.

So, we close on Ash, Brock and Misty continuing on their journey; and the heavy hint that LaToya will one day take her father’s place as protector of their town alongside Gligar! It’s been a crazy year, but I’m glad I could give you all this.


“The Superhero Secret” is clear: this episode is still one I really enjoy after all this time. With some wonderfully cheesy spoofing of another show that’s enjoyably campy on its own, it’s one that I very rarely; if ever pass up a chance to put on. Hard to believe that the 2000s are getting old enough to be remembered nostalgically, yet here we are. Warts and all, I want to help this year end on a higher note than I started it on. As someone who’s logged well over 160 combined hours into his Virtual Console copies of Gold and Silver and is eagerly anticipating Crystal’s release on the eShop; this is a perfect way for me to start the festivities. I am almost done with posting my look at Pokémon The Movie: I Choose You, I hope to have it done by Christmas Eve. Next time, however, is a 1-hour special of Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon that I’ve been wanting to do ever since I saw it. Keep an eye out for it. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment