Saturday, December 23, 2017

Recap: Alola, Kanto/When Regions Collide


Alola, everyone! I am pleased to say that my look at Pokémon The Movie: I Choose You has been completed, and it will be published on Christmas Eve as I intended; so I can enjoy spending time with my family. On that note, with the winter season now upon us, I thought I would do something to help heat up the festivities. I present my look at the two-part Kanto school trip for Pokémon The Series Sun and Moon! I have been wanting to do these ever since I first saw them, and now that time is upon me as they capped off the anime’s 20th successful season! So, let’s open them up!

We open on the Pokémon Academy, where it’s the 20th anniversary of their school! Hey, it’s also the 20th anniversary of the TV series, imagine that! Because of the festivities, they’re going on a trip!

While Ash is initially dismayed that it’s just back home to Kanto, he immediately changes his mind after hearing of another special event with guests of honor! Everyone is excited at this news, as am I.







The first half of this two-parter is entitled “Alola, Kanto,” and ever since I saw the Japanese version of this, I have been very eager to talk about it. I can now officially say that despite some detractors’ fears otherwise, Generation VII is much less of a bogus journey and more of an excellent adventure. 




Everyone lands in Kanto, but it turns out that Lillie’s Alolan Vulpix, “Snowy” is under the weather. Fortunately, a familiar face tells Lillie that it’s just airsickness, and it should clear up before too long.


Elsewhere, Jessie, James and Meowth are dismayed that they have to report in to Giovanni’s secretary. Meowth suggests giving her a honey malasada to smooth over Matori, but he then concludes it’s “wishful thinking.” It’s been shown before that Jessie really doesn’t like Matori, with the subs I watched of this dismissing her as a “bespectacled kappa.” Ouch.

So, Ash is excited to see his friend Brock for the first time in ages (about six or seven years, by my count); and Brock naturally tries to court this flight attendant! Some things never change, huh?





Misty, also not seen for the first time in ages (a little more than 10 years, I’d say) isn’t amused; saying that’s not who they’re here for! As some who had mixed feelings towards their duds in later appearances (look like they were shoplifted from Jet Grind Radio,) I do rather like how they have a more subtle redesign of their original outfits. Again, I never had the same objections to the art style change as others, since I’m a fan of many other anime with Western visual styles (including One Piece, Cowboy Bebop and The Big O).






Even Team Rocket is surprised to see “the original twerp/twerp and twerpette trio!” Don’t sell them short, fellas: I’m fairly certain that they weren’t sure whether or not to introduce them to a new generation until the fans forced their hand. 


The dialogue is also relatively faithful to a fault. Case in point: while Misty referring to herself as the “internationally known beauty” may have been a common staple of the Japanese version, many dub-only fans or younger viewers are probably hearing this for the first time. For the record, I have been watching the subs wherever I can find them for the Japanese version, but trust me when I say it’s like trying to find the Holy Grail. This will continue into the next episode, and it’s not a big deal there either.

As for Brock: I have little to no problem with him wanting to be a doctor, given how he was often responsible for getting the Pokémon medicine or treating their injuries. Furthermore, when he mentions that he’s a former Pewter Gym leader: you either watched those specials after the end of Diamond and Pearl or you didn’t. Bottom line: it’s in the care of his brother Forrester; and it’s complicated.


After everyone is introduced, everyone heads to Oak Labs, and Rotom is amazed at the family resemblance! Always amusing to have a bunch of eccentric, but intelligent individuals named for trees, isn’t it?





So, one of the things they do at the lab is compare/contrast the differences between Alolan and Kantonian Pokémon; but first, Ash nearly gets trampled by his 30 Tauros. Highly amusing: even after 20 years, they’re STILL referencing an episode they can’t legally show here. I know I already used this gag when I started doing the Sun and Moon series, but what the hey: it’s Christmas!



The other students check out the Pokémon at the ranch, and hilarity ensues. Kiawe nearly gets singed by the flames of a Rapidash, Mallow almost inhales the fumes of a Vileplume, Sophocles’ Togedemaru overcharges a Kantonian Raichu, and even Roto joins the fun on his own little quest to do the Kanto Pokédex! He even snaps a shot of the Squirtle Squad!






The comparisons start, and the Kantonian Exeggutor seems a bit surprised by its Alolan form’s… length. If I may paraphrase someone I read about, sometimes a Leaf Stone is just a Leaf Stone.





Next up are comparing Geodudes, which will come again in the second part.




When comparing Muk, Ash’s is so happy to see him that he winds up getting smothered for the umpteenth time! That pile of ooze was always rather affectionate for being literal borderline excrement, and it even won a few battles that way!









The comparisons finish with Alolan Marowak, and not only is Kiawe’s Marowak a bit more of a hothead than in the games, the way Kiawe caught it is different too.



After a ruckus, the Pokémon are all scattered around the lab! As everyone breaks off to find them, we get some flashbacks to some key episodes of the original series, including some I have on the table for 2018.


The first two are glimpses of “Bye Bye Butterfree” and “Bulbasaur’s Mysterious Garden,” which managed to be very memorable in hindsight. Even with the oddness of being a show about a series of video games, it managed to escape the stigma many adaptations of games have had over the years.




I also like how well the art style of this series suits these flashbacks, given how Ash is nestling this Larvitar. I finally have the means to do an episode centered around this fellow next year: you’ll just have to wait and see which one.





There’s also one of “Charizard’s Burning Ambitions,” which has been on the table for some time as my favorite episode of Johto. That one will definitely be done before my retirement, which won’t be happening just yet.





Last, but definitely not least is “Gotta Catch Ya Later,” which definitely felt more like a finale than the episode that followed it. “Hoenn Alone” definitely could have been a prologue to AG and it would have worked better. I also intend to revisit AG in some capacity in 2018, including an episode I wanted to do before, but pushed back due to circumstances beyond my control.






Ash then rightfully says that “I enjoyed every moment of our journey.” I know that feeling: sometimes, a series sticks out most right when it makes it big. It’s the same reason why casual or non-fans might know Captain Kirk, but not Captain Archer. It’s why they would recognize Darth Vader; but probably not Asajj Ventress if you get my drift.


Ash’s Bulbasaur, who is an ambassador of sorts, help rein in some of the errant grass-types in the garden before greeting Ash.

Not long after, Lana finds her Popplio in a lake nearby, and she dives in after it! An earlier episode showed she had a swimsuit under her usual outfit, and I’m once again surprised Disney XD left in her disrobing to make the dive. Misty follows suit, showing that she wears a bikini similar to her one from the original games under her tank top, shorts and sneakers! You have no idea how tricky it was to make this .gif of this scene.






They find Popplio swimming among all the other water Pokémon, and overall, I’m quite pleased the dub kept the scene and got it past the radar; YouTubers reading too much into things be damned. Get your mind out of the gutter!


Only a few stragglers remain, but everyone then has to bail after running into an overeager Onix! I know I use this music a lot, but it fits.


Everyone is gathered together, but they’re captured by Team Rocket’s new mecha, which is controlled like a Mobile Fighter or Jaeger! By the way: thinking about Pacific Rim Uprising next year. Even as someone who was not a big fan of the first film, the sequel might actually be more fun.




Not only are the combined attacks of Dusk Lycanroc, Misty’s Staryu and Brock’s Crobat able to free everyone and destroy the robot, Bewear actually drops from a plane and starts flying Team Rocket back to Alola with a discarded engine part! Flying bears- the only thing more dangerous than flying crocodiles! Something an old friend came up with: you might have to Google it.




Wouldn’t you know it: Jigglypuff also appears in all the wreckage! When everyone falls asleep to her music, the old gag about her drawing on everyone’s faces comes back for the first time since near the end of the first season of Advanced! It’s hard to show everyone’s face like this, but some of their makeup is a bit unfortunate, especially in Kiawe and Sophocles’ case.






The welcoming party kicks off with a barbecue, and one Pokémon has eluded Roto in completing his Pokédex for Kanto: Mew! Of course: that pink scamp has eluded Red and Giovanni alike since 1996.




Professor Kukui also tells everyone of another surprise tomorrow, which I will detail in the second half! I also don’t mind too much that the amber-colored drink that Kukui was having appears to have been recolored green, like a Surge or Mountain Dew. If you have to do this kind of edit, at least make it somewhat plausible: I mean, a brew turns into a soda pop so easily. Just ask Master Roshi!




So, we close on the first part of this by heading to Cerulan City for a gym battle, and I will talk about it after a quick break!



Now, as we enter the second half; we see everyone wanting to have a gym battle between Brock and Misty in a redesigned Cerulean Gym! I don’t really have much use for the term “butthurt” (it sounds like something from a toddler who’s constipated to me), but those who are dismayed by the redesign only get one.


You've redecorated, I don't like it!




Ash also mentions he won the Boulder Badge and Cascade Badge before, though Brock and Misty concede it wasn’t in the conventional sense. Bottom line, before I do a potential gym battle showcase next year: he convinced Brock his path was not the right one, and he saved the bacon of Misty’s sisters, Daisy, Violet and Lilly.

So, everyone decides to have informal Multi Battles in the revamped gym to test their skills! Kukui expresses great interest at how everyone will do with this challenge; with the episode entitled, “When Regions Collide!”






First up is Misty VS Mallow and Lana, later followed by Brock VS Kiawe and Sophocles; and Ash against both his original besties. 

Also, that bit I mentioned in the first half about Misty referring to her Pokémon as her “beauties” and “steadies” in battle will probably confuse some dub-only viewers as while that was common in the Japanese version, she never addressed her Pokémon as such when 4Kids had the dub. 

While Mallow and Lana put up a good fight, Misty is ultimately able to win thanks to Psyduck’s headache. Of course: that borderline kappa has come in handy more than once.

Next up is Sophocles and Kiawe against Brock, though Sophocles does get his Alolan and Kantonian Geodude mixed up. As Lillie and Kiawe give their friend a hand, Brock tells of a certain young man that helped him shake things up as he cuddles his Pikachu on the bleachers.

Kiawe steps up to engage Brock, with Turtonator against Steelix! Based on the type matchup, it’s definitely going to be a wild ride.


As Kiawe readies his Z-Move, Brock reveals that he has a key stone under his shirt! Wow: not only is this an homage to his sprite from the original games, he looks ripped! I don’t know if he’s been juicing since I saw him last, but this looks like something from a Street Fighter game.





He triggers the Mega Evolution of his Steelix, and now the battle really gets interesting!


Kiawe activates his Z-Move, but Mega Steelix is able to hold on and finish things with Stone Edge! Kiawe’s Marowak isn’t happy about it, but Brock tries to tell him that his trainer still put up a good fight nonetheless. I agree, especially as someone who sometimes has trouble going back to the older play style after playing Generation VII.





The field changes for Ash’s battle with Misty; and despite Kiawe and Sophocles’ concerns; Ash assures them he’ll be fine! So, it’s his Pikachu against Misty’s Gyarados!



While Gyarados is powerful on its own, it turns out that she has a key stone as well in her hair tie! As she Mega Evolves her Pokémon, she also adopts a pose homaging her original sprite from the games! These episodes are just rife with callbacks, aren’t they?




Even though Mega Gyarados has plenty of countermeasures, Ash and Pikachu show they’ve come a long way since Pikachu saying no because he liked Misty! They’re able to use their Z-Power through the hurricane with their combined might! 





Ash and Pikachu are victorious, and everyone is given commemorative replicas of the Boulder Badge and Cascade Badge for their time there! Kukui also expresses interest in making his own Pokémon League as a result of seeing everyone’s efforts! To those getting huffy about there ostensibly not being one in Alola: the joke’s on you. My guess is that it’s going to be a more unconventional one like the Orange Islands or the Battle Frontier. As for people still in a bend about Ash not getting Mega Evolution: again, don’t be so sure. Depending on what pattern the next episodes in Japan follow, it could happen. Still doesn’t mean I can’t keep training my fantasy rosters, though.

Before everyone else heads back to Alola, they vow to meet again! I must also note that based on some leaks, the crew of this anime has expressed interest in bringing back cast members from other sagas in this vein, least of all characters from the XY series. I am totally OK with that, especially with persistent talk of what Game Freak has planned for the Switch. I will try to keep my expectations ebb and not speculate too much, but a Breath of the Wild-inspired experience would be appreciated by me as someone who loves that game.

Everyone takes the trip back, and Jigglypuff has hitched a ride on the tail fin of the plane! Still safer than flying United.




We officially close this two-parter and this season on Bewear still trekking back to Alola, much to Team Rocket’s dismay. Personally, I’m amazed this bear can run on water; on the ocean no less. Not sure I can go full “Alolan bear Jesus,” though. 




Even though I faced a similar time crunch to my look at “Princess VS Princess,” this honestly has to be the most fun I’ve had writing about an anniversary episode since “The Fires of a Red-Hot Reunion.” There may still be some holdouts (seriously, Jason Schreier, you’re not as charming as you think you are), but overall, I have really been enjoying how the Sun and Moon series has been messing with my expectations and also providing a solid take on the series on its own. With a lot of colorful animation and unique use of concepts from the games, it’s still very much the polar opposite of Yo-Kai Watch (still not doing any more until I get an official air date for season 3 or street date for the next wave of toys, the dub being recast doesn’t change anything).


I hope you enjoy this gift both me and you all, as with my next post for tomorrow: my full look at Pokémon The Movie: I Choose You! Alola!

No comments:

Post a Comment