Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Recap: Professor Lenkon and the Mysterious Mansion


Hello again. As I promised before, I am going to take the opportunity to use this recap to explain how the Yo-Kai Watch franchise still baffles me. I also want to address certain segments of the fandom who are accusing me and others of blindly shunning the series in favor of Pokémon and the NX on the horizon. For the sake of argument, one such individual will be referred to as Rupert Murdoch to protect their identity. I will be countering his arguments as well as others over the course of this recap, so let’s open up “Professor Lenkon and the Mysterious Mansion” to try and solve this mystery. 

We open on the eponymous Professor Lenkon (no doubt a take-off on Level-5’s Professor Layton series) claiming to have solved everything. Sure you have.







I admit it, I am the Lindbergh baby! Wah! Wah! Goo goo! I miss my fly fly dada!
Of course, the whole thing is revealed to be a TV show being viewed by Keita, who of course is enamored with his bumbling exploits. Why does this explain a lot about the fandom of the show?





We then get a remix of the “Laugh out Loud”; which I am once again replacing with something more to my taste. 



The next day, everyone is on a school outing to plant trees in the mountains. I would do my Rocky Horror joke, but it’s not worth it.

It turns out that all of Keita’s friends are into the show as well. Again, this explains a lot about the fans.





As they walk along the path; Kuma wonders why a small child’s shoe is there. Oh dear, what happened to Chihiro now?





Keita then remarks that it smells like a mystery as he picks up the shoe to investigate who lost it. “Smells like a mystery?” More like a kid’s feet.





He tries to find who the shoe belongs to; but it turns out another little boy lost a different shoe that’s velcro with blue highlights rather than laced with yellow ones. OK, might as well bring up the Syndrome meme I had with my last recap up of this anime.








Luckily, another kid wearing the other shoe comes by to retrieve it; having lost it during soccer practice. Well, that solves that mystery.





With their footwear reclaimed, the little ones head off on their way. OK, that’s actually kind of funny.  Why is it all the bizarre jokes don’t make me smile; but a mishap involving something as simple as children misplacing their sneakers does? Maybe that’s part of my problem. 





I digress. As the quartet of youngsters plants the tree, they’re being watched by a mysterious figure. 


Keita then asks if they ever feel like they’re being watched. Yeah, it’s called Tumblr. Get used to it.




Inside, they see an old painting and get spooked when a cherry blossom suddenly blooms from it. (sighs) Really?

Then they’re scared of an old doll! Still got nothing on those old Teddy Ruxpin toys.

Anyway, the owner of the mansion comes along and asks if something appeared. Only your creepy Heaven’s Gate-like persona.





He then offers to show them the best place to view flowers from. I would like to remind you that this is a kids’ anime; yet I am honestly worried about what this man will do to everyone. He has this sort of Pat Boone quality to him.


I need an adult? "I am an adult."


The owner then introduces himself as Hanamori. You could have mentioned that before everyone turned their pants into a fudge factory!




While Keita ponders about the mystery of the mansion, Hanamori brings the tea up to Kanchi. I wouldn’t drink that. What if there’s a Mickey in that tea?

After the owner leaves, Keita thinks he can smell the scent of a puzzle on him. No, that’s your trousers. (Sorry.)

They hear a noise, and run off to find Hanamori’s body lying on the ground. Was it Colonel Mustard in the garden with the shovel?







Suddenly, flowers bloom on the owner’s head, and he starts doing a happy dance!



Hello boys and girls! This is your old pal, Stinky Whizzleteats!








So, we once again see what could have led to a dark; foreboding adventure in an old hotel get tossed aside in favor of a joke that’s been done much better elsewhere. It’s essentially the exact same problem as “Gabunyan Hazard,” only slightly less irritating.




Seriously, Hanamori even bangs his foot on the table and just keeps dancing! Look, I think even children expect more than just randomness and slapstick! Personally why I like how in other comedic anime; it’s balanced with a deeper story beneath the jokes and has a method to the madness. FLCL, for example (definitely plan on giving that series a positive recap soon).



This is a song about a whale, no! This a song about being happy!



However, Keita keeps up his role-play of Professor Lenkon, saying he’ll solve what’s going on! In other words- we’re screwed, aren’t we? 



Naturally, his first instinct is to suggest one of his friends hit Hanamori on the head with a shovel, which of course Jibanyan takes issue with.


Jibanyan would be great at Cinema Sins.



Kanchi even questions if it would be simple as someone who has a shovel. I’m pretty sure this is the episode’s first actual clue, so let’s not get choosy.

Keita then accuses Kuma of doing the deed; which he replies makes no sense! Finally, I can sympathize with this derpy Japanese kid.








Of course, Whisper says his reasoning is really full of holes if he suspects his friends.



Whisper would also be excellent at Cinema Sins.
Then, Kanchi sprouts flowers from his head as he puts a clothespin on his nose! Oy. That kid is going to need the short bus to school if this keeps up. 







The flowers then bloom on Kuma’s head, and he starts shoving chopsticks up his nose! Kuma, that’s bad form. Go to your room and think about what you’ve done.








As the flowers bloom on Fumiko’s head, Keita stops her from shoving her hairpin on her nose. 











He heads to the attic and finds the source of the flowers, then wonders what to do now. Well, for starters, don’t watch this anime sober.

The yokai even wonder how he didn’t think that far ahead. What were you expecting? He’d have his Oscar speech ready?

It turns out there really is a yokai at work, in the form of Hanasakaji! Well I’ll be damned. He actually figured something out on his own. 


Hanasakaji reveals himself; and for some reason, he reminds me of some kind of knockoff cereal mascot you’d find if shopped places that had a lot of off-brand stock from other areas of the country. He’s also of the Pokapoka class, which honestly makes me question the method they took even further. The game slowly builds a myth arc as it goes; so why can’t the anime? Why put so much work in the visuals and make the story as autopilot as the combat system? I just don’t understand how a show can be so beautifully-animated but so banally-written. I don’t feel like this very often when I look an anime for this blog; but I must once again disagree with the praise it’s gotten and detail all the wasted potential.






Keita then just decides to ask Hanasakaji to undo the spell. Fine, just do whatever you can to end this fucking episode!

He even points out how annoying everything Hanasakaji does is. Finally, I can now sympathize with these dullard characters.



Why don't you take a seat?



Even after all he says, Keita says what he’s done is still really annoying.




Hell, even Keita would be pretty good at Cinema Sins!



So, Hanasakaji agrees to undo his spell. Thank you, you spaced out Lucky Charms leprechaun!

Then, Hanamori wonders what happened as he comes to.  I don’t know, you were doing your best Charles Manson impression before all this shit happened.

It turns out the reason Hanasakaji was inspiriting the hotel was because the tree he used to tend was used as one of the pillars in its construction. Again, why couldn’t we have had a story about this?

So, Hanasakaji gives him his medal; which of course means another new toy to sell. Anticlimactic, but hey, anything to end this crap is fine by me at this point.

Keita remarks that he wishes there were some way to share Hanasakaji’s feelings with everyone. He tries to share his feelings with me again, I’m calling the police.

That night, there’s a fireworks display; and Fumiko remarks how great it is to see fireworks in the winter. How is it winter when it was Halloween in the last episode? Fuck it, I don’t care. 






Then, as cherry blossoms fall from the sky, Hanasakaji has spread his spell all over the crowd; even affecting Keita, Jibanyan and Whisper! Of course: another episode ends on a stupid joke. Well, Hino, here’s my rebuttal!



The creatures of nature, they don't know they're ugly; that's very funny! A fly marrying a bumblebee!



“Professor Lenkon and the Mysterious Mansion” is a key example of how Yo-Kai Watch definitely has potential as a concept; but I’m still not too thrilled about the execution, where potentially interesting stories are tossed aside in favor of wacky hijinks with yokai and selling toys. This may not be the worst anime of its kind I’ve seen; but in spite of what Rupert Murdoch and others have said, I just don’t think the current method of storytelling suits the potential the series has. The animation is still slick and colorful; but even a child might want more than that.

Additionally, even though other people have raised some valid points; it doesn’t change the fact that they don’t seem to realize many people like me are genuinely excited for the prospect of Pokémon Sun and Moon as well as the NX and aren’t guaranteed to enjoy Yo-Kai Watch 2. As I said in the last post; it’s a rather nasty case of opinion myopia that’s been plaguing this rivalry.



As for the series itself, my recommendation is still the same: do less. Less is more. Give the foreground to the characters and stories, not the jokes and toys. Ask the hard questions about how yokai affect the lives of young children and everyone around them. You already proved you have impressive artwork; now I want to see that same energy channeled into the script and characters. While this gag-based slice of life stuff may be fine for the short term, in the long term; the audience will inevitably get tired of it and lose interest. Unless there’s more to challenge your audience; it’s not going to be “the next Pokémon”. In fact, given how Yo-Kai Watch 3 is still doing respectably well; it’s noticeably selling less than Yo-Kai Watch 2 did at the same point in 2014. With that on the table, if Yo-Kai Watch 2 can’t kickstart the series here; the whole ‘verse is rushing towards a date with Bakugan, Redakai and Monsuno.

I will be addressing this more in my next recap; as well as my look at the first movie. I will also be going on vacation with my family before I go back to school; so I’m not sure how long things will take to get out. I do plan on having them both out before Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls launch at the end of the month, though. See you, space cowboy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment