Thursday, September 22, 2016

Recap: Yo-Kai Tactician Whisbei

Hello again. Fall is upon us; and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls are set to launch next Friday. While many are confident the games will kickstart the series in the US; I am once again skeptical. Even though I admire Hino’s optimism despite the original game only selling 400,000 copies in the US; I’m not sure that exclusive Z-medals or special DLC will be enough to earn converts from Pokémon Sun and Moon, whose hype and preorders seem to grow with each new piece of information.

However, despite a small western fanbase; I have been long apprehensive about trying to shotgun this niche property into a four-quadrant hit. That strategy has backfired so far; and if the sequels don’t sell, there is a very high chance that Yo-Kai Watch 3 and any other parts of the franchise won’t be localized. It’s particularly telling that the movie (which I will get to very soon) is only being given a one-night limited release in the US; in stark contrast to its Japanese release. With a myriad of horror films in the horizon; it’s clear to me that the picture would bomb in wide release here.


Still, it’s one of two targets I want to take out before the game launches and explain my stance on the series further. The other is today’s subject. Let’s open up “Yo-Kai Tactician Whisbei” and go to war. 


We open on Keita suggesting that his “friend” Kuma is possessed by a yokai because of him doing a Michael Jackson impression. That’s ignorant! 


He then further insults Whisper by dismissing him as more of a yokai researcher than a butler. What an asshole.

When Jibanyan asks him about his special skill; Whisper replies that he’s been cursed so he can’t reveal his ability. How damn well convenient!

Then, Gin and Kin decide to send Whisper back to the past so he doesn’t meet Keita. This is a downside, how? 







After an intro which is leagues ahead of the other intros to the series; it seems that Jibanyan and Whisper have been transported back to ancient Japan.

We are then introduced to Keinosuke, who just happens to be Keita’s ancestor; implying their idiocy is hereditary. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Then, after Whisper unwittingly inspirits him; he suggests that the generals ride cows into battle rather than horses; and claims there’s no mistaking it in front of a stage. 







The exact same bit happens the next scene; where he suggests that there’s treasure in the mountains! Again? That was literally a moment ago!

Keinosuke wonders why all this happens to him. I think a Wisconsinite I used to know said it best. 


Red Forman- The reason bad things happen to you, is because you're a dumbass.


Whisper then laments he used his ability when he didn’t mean to. Well, what did you think would happen?

He then says he makes people “say everything like they know it all even when they don’t.” Remind you of anyone, chief?






As a result, he is the pretend to know yokai Shittakaburi. I know there’s a joke here, but it’s too easy for me.

Shittakaburi then is disappointed that he’s gone back to being the pretending to know yokai. “Gone back?” Man, you really are dense.






Things get even dumber when Keinosuke is summoned to the mansion of real-life warlord Ishida Mitsunari. Oh boy, here we go.

Keinosuke then wonders what he’s going to do. You mean besides make an ass of yourself? 



Jibanyan then posits that if he doesn’t lead Mitsunari’s clan to the treasure, they’ll behead Keinosuke! Which means Keita won’t get born in the future… I fail to see a downside here.

Shittakaburi inspirits him again; and there’s rule of three. Least the continuity is consistent. It’s a shame such beautiful animation is wasted on such a lousy story.






Even after what happened; they do find the sword they’re looking for: in the form of a vision in a waterfall! Imagine that. 





So, Gin and Kin decide to advance the story further towards fate’s divide. Fine by me. Prepare to fast-forward! 


Go past this part! In fact, never play this again!
As the years go by; Mitsunari is in a battle and changes his strategy based on the wind direction; even using the same joke a fourth time!






All this anachronistic comedy makes me wish I was watching Samurai Champloo. In fact, I think I will watch Samurai Champloo!


(Gone to watch Samurai Champloo, will return in 26 episodes)





As time goes by, Mitsunari tells Shittabukuri that he’s a yokai tactician. Yeah, and I’m Micah Solusod!

So, he gives himself a new name as Yo-kai Tactician Whisbei. Roll credits. 


Again, this is a potentially interesting story bogged down by the usual formula. I mean, you have a revisionist take on Japanese history; an idea that’s been done well by other anime, including ones that feature yokai; so why settle for being an unfunny toy commercial? Despite Hino’s desire for the series to be a “modern Doraemon”, a lot of the moments that made that series special are conspicuous by their absence here. 



Now, we reach the battle of Sekigahara in 1600, where Mitsunari’s armies have been betrayed by Kobayakawa Hideaki. This is where his big defeat is historically.

Yet, despite Whisbei offering the chance to use his ability on the enemy; Mitsunari decides go down fighting; knowing full well he’ll die. There’s just something I have to admire about that. 

So, as the curtain falls on Mitsunari’s life; “the influence of the ghost on his life was not recorded.” Neither will this franchise if they don’t make better material.






That’s how the episode ends: with Whisper and Jibanyan reflecting on their memories of the past. I feel a similar way to “Jibanyan’s Secret:” this would have made a more effective introduction for Whisper if that was the focal point, rather than the exploits of Keita’s bumbling ancestor. I feel more willing to support someone if they’re depicted as actual characters, not just merchandise.





“Yo-Kai Tactician Whisbei” is another example of how Yo-Kai Watch definitely has potential as a concept; but unfortunately, it seems the writers are content with merchandise-driven mediocrity. I don’t even remember what the subject matter of the most recent Japanese episode was, I just remember that I hated it. It may not be the worst anime of its kind; but after seeing how dark the Team Flare Crisis of Pokémon XYZ was, seeing schoolchildren blame yokai for tearing up their clothes doesn’t really do it for me.

Moreover; even though the video games may not be as bad to me as the anime, I still think the sequels probably won’t kickstart the series here, let alone outsell Pokémon Sun and Moon. Even with Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls having new mechanics and a bigger storyline, after playing Ni No Kuni from the same developer; I honestly wanted to be challenged more from a narrative and characterization standpoint. In spite of what fans of the series think; childhood really isn’t as upbeat as the nostalgia filter would have us believe. At a young age; even the smallest things can be like life-or-death decisions. Yo-Kai Watch doesn’t seem to understand that. Pokémon and Ni No Kuni do.

So, I’m afraid I must decline the invitation to become a fellow fan of both series. My counteroffer still stands: if you’re looking for an alternative to the usual “mons” franchise, then I won’t stop you from picking up the sequels. If you’re looking for a more engaging RPG experience, however; then I suggest you wait for Pokémon Sun and Moon and Ni No Kuni II. I know I will be. In the meantime, I’m going to go watch some Sengoku Basara to get this taste out of my mouth, then I will do the movie before Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls launch next week. See you, space cowboy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment