Friday, December 9, 2016

Recap: The Abandoned Mask

Hello everyone. Well, it’s apparently the 10th anniversary of Code Geass; among other anime, and there are plans for more content in the near future, starting with a remaster of the series in its entirety as a series of films. 

Given what I’ve said before about my disappointment with the second half; I certainly hope that the powers that be take the opportunity to improve what didn’t work about some parts. You know what that means: it’s time for another episode of Code Geass R2! 


When we last left the series, what was once an insightful look at human relations and political commentary has now devolved into the mindless action that it once deconstructed with characters being derailed left and right and new story elements that raise many questions that they refuse to answer in favor of just reiterating plot points from the first season! Still, that’s just a handful of the issues that I think the remaster could potentially rectify, so let’s open up “The Abandoned Mask” and detail some more! 


We open on the emperor giving a speech with our usual heavy-handedness. Well, at least it’s not another flashback or intro dump; but still, can’t we get at least one part of the story where he’s not so winded? Even with this joke of an election that we’ve been through, I feel like I’m watching CSPAN on bad cold medicine.




Seriously, close to the first minute of this episode is the Emperor of Britannia spouting off some quasi-religious nonsense that doesn’t really add much to the story at all. He might as well be reading passages from A Song of Ice and Fire (no disrespect intended to George RR Martin).

The title card also does little to prepare anyone for how convoluted yet surprisingly dull the experience of watching this episode will be. 




We cut to Rolo near Lelouch’s bedside, and Lelouch insinuates that the experience of the last episode was just a bad dream. I wish, dude. There’s at least 18 more episodes after this to get through, and I don’t think there’s enough vodka in Moscow to erase this from my memory. I really hope that any potential remaster could make the storyline more coherent, since I had an easier time following Suicide Squad than this (by the way, expecting the Extended Edition Blu-Ray in the mail soon, might be cool). 


Then, it’s revealed that Rolo wiped Lelouch’s memory of the event AGAIN. Oh dear, this is going to be a long half-hour, isn’t it?

Of course, when Lelouch finds out about what happened ANYWAY, he wonders how much longer he can keep up the facade as Zero. Never seen that plot thread before, unless I count The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Iron Man 3, Captain America: Civil War and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Out of the Shadows, as well as some other ones. Fucking Hell.


Now this is just insulting. Why would I settle for someone like Rivalz if I were into that sort of thing?



This is also juxtaposed with the student council looking for party favors for some reason. I mean, heaven help you if you want an explanation for why this nonsense is taking place at the same time as Lelouch’s cliché moral debate; we need to have this scene of Rivalz making an idiot of himself yet again!

Yet, it’s all because President Milly wants to be ready for an upcoming school trip. Excuse me while I go see if I have any Rolaids left from my trip to New York.

Of course, Shirley observes that Lelouch seems down. Really? What gave you that impression? Yet, I can’t be too mad at her, knowing what lies ahead. I may not hate her character like I do some others in this anime; and I will address what’s happening when I get to it.

Then, Rivalz interjects how much fun the trip might be. Ugh. Another suggestion I have for the remaster would be to get rid of this character. Write him out, kill him off, I don’t care. There is little reason for him to exist in the story, even less than a certain infamous scene involving a young woman pleasuring herself on a piece of furniture. I am not making that up at all.

At that moment, Nunnally is about to be named the new viceroy; and the claim is made that her safety is guaranteed. My ass! She couldn’t BE in worse hands! Her safety is about as guaranteed as a rooster in a KFC! 


I should've mailed it to the Marx brothers.



As for the fact that she’s given her inauguration speech in braille: I can’t really make too much of that, since I have bigger fish to fry with this episode.

Want proof? Her first act as viceroy is to restart work on the Specially Administrated Zone of Nippon. I can see that going over as well as trying to remake Ghost in the Shell! Long story, and I have some choice words for it too now that I’ve seen the trailer. To say I was unimpressed would be putting it mildly.

Of course, Lloyd is all a tingle at the idea. OK; that makes two characters I want to see written out of or killed off in the remaster. I’m still in the process of reading this manga where he dies; and I still have no idea what other people see in this character. There are many characters in this anime that make for compelling villains, a snide Dolce and Gabbana model with a tech fetish just doesn’t do it for me.






Elsewhere, however; the response is less than universally-welcomed. We’re five minutes into this turkey of an anime; so trust me when I say it gets dumber from here.

She even says she wishes “to create a gentler and more equal world.” I’m afraid it’s not that simple, viceroy; especially not with all these morons reading clickbait and taking it at face value as it’s trying to sell them phony ED medicine.

She also asks the Black Knights to participate in the SAZ as well. That’s about as sound a request to ask me to enjoy Yo-Kai Watch as a Pokémon fan! It also turns out my counteroffer was more successful, since with the European launch numbers in; the worldwide total in less than 2 weeks is about 8 million copies sold out of the initial 10 million shipped. Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls have barely cracked 80,000 units combined in a tinge under 2 months here; and I’m still giving it till after this recap and the next ones I have on the table to break 100,000 units in the US. If they do, I will recap the second movie. If they don’t, I’m doing the dub of the Christmas special.

Anyway, she then says that “if we both admit to our mistakes, we can correct them.” That’s DEFINITELY a tall order, viceroy; since that rarely happens in this day and age. Just something I’ve noticed over the course of this year, is all.

As she’s being wheeled out of the throne room by Suzaku; I’m also really confused by how Nunnally is somehow able to reach her arm behind her and touch Suzaku’s hand at a half turn. Here I am, trying to keep my Z-ring on my wrist without it popping off all the time.

Later that day, Lelouch rides the subway home, and somehow breaks his cell phone in half when Kallen tries to give him a call. That’s interesting, sometimes I drop my phone playing Pokémon Go; and the worst that happens is the hard restart failsafe is triggered.


Meanwhile, people are skeptical about Nunally’s policy actually being bought into. That’s really not that different than how most people feel about politics, if someone’s ideas aren’t being challenged; I don’t think they’re doing their job right.

Then, Lady Kaguya of the Chinese federation appears to spout more exposition about Zero, claiming that “Heroes are always ladies’ men.” Citation needed, milady.

The sight of Kaguya, CC and Kallen in this shot is dangerously close to turning this scene into a piece of yuri bait; and I type that as someone who’s asexual. I mean, are these hot pants on Kallen’s uniform really necessary? Again, heaven forbid we have some male fan service for the female viewers!

She joins their hands, and claims they’re Zero’s “three court ladies.” ,,, OK, that tears it. Another suggestion for the remaster is to either tone down or remove the fan service. I highly doubt anyone watching this is getting off right now. If anything, it’s making me want to go see if Doctor Who is on.






Eight minutes in, and cue Lloyd. Have I mentioned how much I hate this character? I may have brought it up before, but I feel it bears repeating. Even as someone who didn’t have a problem with Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor; I just can’t stand how smug this bastard is. 

Even when he eats a sandwich made of unsavory ingredients, it can’t really amuse me. Call me when you bribe a congressman in a manner that will never make me eat Jolly Ranchers the same way again.

Then, Rolo takes control of the subway and plays Nunally’s speech on the monitors overhead. Disregarding the Pizza Hut product placement; how the fuck did Rolo not only Geass everyone on the subway, but punch through a glass window without cutting up his hand? Is it that Hollywood glass I’ve heard so much about?

I digress. After witnessing a deal over this drug called “Refrain” being made in an alley; Lelouch Geasses this man called Mr. Kolchak and his men to get the drug himself. What am I doing with my life that I just typed that?

Back with the Black Knights, CC rationalizes the simplest thing would be for Lelouch to give up being Zero. Given how there’s still 18 episodes and a remaster of this crap to get through; that’s not going to happen.

The day of the school trip arrives; and Rivalz wonders where Lelouch is. Forget that, exactly what purpose do you contribute to the story beside me making up a head canon for you as a police plant?

So, Kallen confronts Lelouch at a construction site wearing an outfit akin to a diner waitress; but heaven help you if want this crap explained.

Apparently, the Refrain can bring back memories of the past to whoever takes it. If that’s what it does, I much prefer Member Berries. 


Kallen then destroys the vial of Refrain, and Lelouch asks Kallen to please him. Look, as someone who’s seen four live-action Transformers films with a fifth planned next year (note: I will probably do more Transformers-related material in 2017 to tie into the release of The Last Knight), even Michael Bay would be telling these guys to take it easy on the tone shifts!


Naturally, Kallen isn’t happy about the idea, and slaps him in the face! Jeez, that was dangerously close to the reason why Bill Cosby isn’t on TV anymore!

Then, Kallen runs off and Rolo confronts Lelouch?! Hi, I’m the viewer; care to tell me what the Hell is going on?! I feel like I just randomly clicked on an episode at will; and I know this is the seventh of these I’ve written about! That isn’t a good thing!

Anyway, Rolo suggests that “if Zero vanishes, peace will come to Area 11.” Again, it’s not that simple; and this cliché has been done to death. He also asks “Is something wrong with wanting to be happy?” Not at all, but the makers of this anime clearly never asked themselves that question. I also ask that same one to detractors of Pokémon Sun and Moon.

Then, we get another scene of the Emperor speaking with Nunnally about her plan. All that’s missing is incentive for me to care as a viewer.

All of a sudden, the aircraft carrier that CC and Kallen are on is confronted by the Britannian military. So, roughly 15 minutes in and the anime suddenly remembers it has a plot. Wonderful

Then, the student council decided not to go on the trip; and they light off fireworks instead? Also, is there anything Rivalz says that actually has substance? If I wanted to watch some teenager spout non sequiturs, I’d go watch reruns of iCarly.

Milly then suggests that “a vacation is all about who you spend it with, not where you go.” In many ways that’s true. If I had my family with me, it wouldn’t matter whether I was in Vegas or just watching Stranger Things on Netflix at home.


Of course, Zero is riding on on Kallen’s mecha, the Guren. Called it!

So, we close on Zero accepting the viceroy’s offer regarding the SAZ. Well, that was roughly 20 minutes of my life I’m not getting back.

“The Abandoned Mask” may not be the worst episode of R2 I’ve covered on this blog, but it’s still highly insufferable because of how the product doesn’t really live up to the potential the first season had. Apart from what I already mentioned, I would suggest that things would have to be extensively rewritten for the remaster on account of how thoroughly screwed this anime got by executive meddling. At least I can expect some good artwork out of the reversion when it’s done. Sorry if I come off this way, but I thought I’d get this one out of the way first.

There will be more to talk about with R2 in 2017, but next; I think I will do something a bit less of a slog. Next time will be a look at a Yu-Gi-Oh spinoff series. You’ll just have to wait and see which one. See you, space cowboy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment