Sunday, January 29, 2017

Recap: Seeking Shelter from the Storm

Dedicated to the memory of my grandfather, Will Royston
1935-2017


Hello everyone. First, I will let you know that my intended material will definitely be done in February; and I’m just doing this recap to help with certain events of the past few days. Second, with Pokémon Sun and Moon having sold more than their entire 10 million initial shipment; I am still contemplating doing some of the Sun and Moon series in the near future (I’m just waiting for the dub to start airing officially on Disney XD; not counting the preview of the first couple episodes they did alongside the Volcanion movie). Third, I am also mulling over several options for my 300th post; and all of this will be determined by how long it takes me to do some assignments I have for school.


That said, I’ve had this episode of the XY series on the table for some time; and with everything going on right now, it’s as good a time as any to take a look at it. Let’s open up “Seeking Shelter from the Storm.”

We open on a massive rainstorm as Ash, Bonnie, Clemont and Serena are on their way to Cyllage City. They happen upon a large mansion as the door opens by itself. Clemont then chides Bonnie for just walking inside, then assumes the house is automated. That’s interesting, it took me days to set up my PSN account on my new PS4.

We then get the XY arrangement of the Pokémon theme, which is pretty good in my opinion. I kind of like how some of TCPI’s new themes have been trying to capture some of the sound of the older English openings; similar to how newer versions of Power Rangers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have had some arrangement of their theme songs. Have a listen for yourself, and I personally can’t wait to see what they’ll come up with for the dubbed theme for the Sun and Moon series. 






After that, we get the usual XY title card. While the Japanese version had a different one for this episode, it does the job fine. If I have knowledge of both versions, I will point out differences when I see them, but I usually just try to take the dub on its own merit and watch the subs for a frame of reference if I get a chance. 




Anyway, the group decides to stay inside the mansion until the rain stops; and when Clemont tries to find a light, they come on by themselves! He once again suggests the place is automated; though many people in their ‘verse have yet to master the concept of a deadbolt.

Serena, however, claims the place is haunted! Yeah, given recent events; both personal and otherwise, you can see why I decided to push my other material back to February; least of all my next recap of Code Geass R2. Heavy-handed sequel series and lousy movies can wait for now, this will help me take a breather as well as process my grief.



The door slams shut behind them all, and Clemont again says the mansion has an automatic door! Yeah, this comes up a couple times with Clemont. Despite being a young man who fiddles with all sorts of gadgets and has all manner of eccentricities, he apparently doesn’t believe in the paranormal. This happened with Cilan as well in the previous anime; and I may consider looking at episodes that display that in the near future.

Serena then claims the mansion eats people alive! … Yeah, wasn’t a big fan of Monster House. Never really saw it when it was out, was more into stuff like Superman Returns and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.

Clemont even outright says “you should never trust anything that can’t be explained by science.” Noble thought, but Ghost Pokémon have been a part of this ‘verse for more than 20 years; and I may consider looking at a later XY episode involving that scenario around Halloween depending on what happens then. 

As everyone tries to find another way out, Team Rocket then happens on the mansion after they too are caught in the rain.


Not deterred by the door being looked, Jessie says using this mansion as a hideout will “keep out the riffraff.” I don’t know, I think this is the kind of setup where he and Magenta usually do the time warp.




Then, all of a sudden, Jessie decides to climb in the window as James and Meowth follow her.

As the lights come on and the window slams shut behind them, James says that he has “a bad feeling about this place.” I don’t sense anything.

After seeing a portrait of an old woman on the wall, Serena wonders if she’s the cause of all that’s happening even if she’s gone! Yeah, relating to what I said earlier, even if an English dub can’t always get the letter of what the original said across (it very rarely happens), I do at least like when they can get across the spirit, so to speak. 



James tries to break the window to escape, but there’s some sort of force field around the windows!




As Team Rocket tries to escape, they run into an Espurr who has the same pendant as the woman in the painting. Even though I don’t find Espurr as scary as many others, for reasons I’m about to get into; I might as well indulge any fans that hold that mindset that might be reading this. (Note: I kind of get more dark stuff out of Klefki personally.)







After hearing more screams, everyone decides to go investigate like a bunch of Scoobies at Ash’s request. Been waiting to use this track again for a while, this is a good time. 







Espurr emerges, but as Bonnie tries to follow it; they disappear as they turn a corner!

As James worries about the spook haunting them behind a bed, Jessie snaps at him: “Will you keep your crazy to yourself?!” I want to shout that to everyone I can find in a position of power after this totally bonkers inauguration (part of the reason I delayed my R2 recap, another being to rework some parts I felt were too soon given the circumstances). 



Then, Clemont finally deduces that a ghost or psychic Pokémon is actually the culprit! Of course, if you eliminate the impossible; what remains, however improbable must be the truth. 


After that, Espurr sees Bonnie approach from a distance with a strange look on its face. 


As Bonnie and Espurr play ball together, this episode showcases more of Espurr’s more cute qualities after the perception among fans saw the species as more creepy. I believe that depending on how other adaptations handle certain species, they can definitely change your perception about them. Also, I never considered Espurr as creepy as others thought; and this episode furthered that.

In that sense, this episode is one of several I have viewed that helped further my appreciation for the idea that even if something seems frightening and dark on the surface, it can often be beautiful; and doesn’t have to be feared.


Furthermore, it’s a key element that makes me respect how the XY series made me feel a multitude of emotions as a viewer; and why I’m glad I got to experience it. With the remaining episodes on my DVR, even as I look forward to the Sun and Moon series officially coming stateside; I can honestly say it’s a series that learned the right lessons from Origins (and not just in terms of the animation either). 

As Espurr leads Bonnie into a playroom, I will also give this and other episodes credit for being the polar opposite of Yo-Kai Watch. It slowly draws you into the world it’s built rather than trying to hammer you into submission and treats its creatures like actual characters and not just overpriced baubles either.






Anyway, Ash, Serena and Clemont continue their search for Bonnie in the mansion. Looks like Professor E. Gad was in the middle of some crazy experiment again. 


They find Team Rocket trying to look intimidating in bedsheets, but it doesn’t work.  




I also rather like the rocking Ponyta toy; it’s a nice touch in this room.






Espurr then reveals that the woman in the painting has the same pendant!

Clemont and the others come running in, and Clemont says he was so worried about Bonnie! One of the things I enjoyed most about XY was how the dynamic between Bonnie and Clemont was what I wanted the one between May and Max to be when I was younger. While some of their disagreements remain, it’s much clearer how much these two care for each other.




Espurr is then scanned with the Pokédex, which says that its psychic energy can send things flying across the room! Yeah, much cooler than just revealing disgusting secrets.





Team Rocket enters the parlor, and Meowth translates that Espurr wants to give the pendant back to the woman in the painting. Knowing what’s about to happen, you will know why I chose this episode to recap and help process my grief. 








It’s then revealed that the woman was the owner of the house, and she took care of Espurr years before!




As time went by, the owner of the house became a surrogate guardian to Espurr before she passed on. I’m also going to come clean about what happened with my grandfather: as he entered the final stages of his COPD, it was clear to me that I had to keep going to take care of him even when it was hard. I even said words to the effect of it only being right I help put him to bed after all the times he put me to bed when I was younger. I had no idea how right I was: only a few days after I last saw him, he passed on at age 81 in his sleep. While dealing with my pain will be an ongoing process, I am at least grateful I got to see him through Christmas, the new year and my birthday. 

It’s also revealed that the pendant was given to the old woman by her husband, and she gave it to Espurr for safekeeping before her passing. As a result, Espurr spent years pining for the woman that was so caring and the mansion that was her home. 




As the rain stops, the owner of the house; Elesa decides to take in Espurr and turn the house into a memorial  and safe house for anyone needing a place to stay. I can identify with that kind of goodwill, even with everything that’s been going on lately. 





So, we close on Espurr leaving with Elesa to go pay respects to grandma Lacey; and Elesa decides to give Espurr her pendant to remember her by. An ideal end to this episode as one of my favorite XY episodes (still working on compiling my listt, and I will include ones I enjoyed from XYZ as well; blight of the Mega Evolution specials notwithstanding). 


“Seeking Shelter from the Storm” is an ideal way for me to come to terms with my grandfather’s passing; as well as a great episode on its own merit. With a good use of one of my favorite Kalos Pokémon (working on compiling my list for that as well in the near future) and great atmosphere and animation; it will be an episode that I shall continue to enjoy even as XY makes way for the Sun and Moon Series. 

Now, due to all my grief and dealing with external problems; I will be significantly altering what I had planned as well as changing up the order for February. I still plan to recap some of the Sun and Moon series in the near future, I’m just waiting for the dub to officially start airing on Disney XD before I do. I also apologize for how this took longer to write than I thought; I certainly hope I can get my next pieces out sooner, especially given the material I have on the table (least of all, the tentative 300th post). That will be all for now. See you, space cowboy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment