Monday, July 10, 2017

Pokémon The Movie I Choose You (2017) Final Trailer Thoughts

Hello everyone. First, I am working on a host of new material as well as what I already had planned; least of all continuing my look at the Pokémon movies from the Giratina movie onward.

On that note, the 20th film will be launching in Japan on Saturday, and a trailer for the film was streamed a few days ago with more information on the film and how it reimagines key moments from the anime. I will be going over them in this post, as well as some other points that I will be offering counterarguments to. To start, I am disappointed that I asked people online not to spoil the movie and they did anyway; and I will address that after this.




In addition to the battle from the beginning now having cameos from Corey and Neesha from Mewtwo Strikes Back (that just leaves out Fergus), the final trailer shows off more of how Ash and Pikachu met and the journey that led there.




We also see more of new characters Makoto and Souji, while the film also has a new perspective on events such as Ash's gym battle with Erika (I am still contemplating doing a gym battle showcase in the near future, maybe after I'm done with the movies).





Additionaly, in lieu of Gary Oak, the rival will be the much more brutal Cross; who trains an Incineroar. Again, I still rather like that joke the writers of the first movie made about his agent making too many demands (so, not a stretch for his character).





There is also another snippet of the ending theme, "Let's Walk Together" (an arrangement of "Oracion" from the Darkrai movie); as well as a new form of Ash-Pikachu DLC being given via a QR code on the same day as the launch of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.




Now, I will address one of the more unsavory developments about the movie: many people online are displeased with the news that Makoto and Souji will be playing the role of Ash's companions rather than Brock and Misty. This isn't the first time people have reacted this way about changes made to the series; but many are under the impression that the characters are being "erased" and the series is being "rewritten." Many others are even acting very hostile towards a movie they haven't even seen yet and have only seen information online from the premiere in France. 

I will admit that I understand why many people are upset, but I also admit that I vehemently disagree with the vitriol many are taking and the arguments people are using to support their claims. In addition to Polygon, I find Mashable's claims rather faulty to say the least. They claimed it would be like SpongeBob without Patrick and Squidward, disregarding how that series is no stranger to divisive elements itself (though I am glad that Hillenburg is working on the show again). They also claimed it would be like He-Man without Battle Cat, even though this also ignores how the 1987 MOTU film didn't have the character or even mention him (though it does explain that many of the heroes from the show and toys were captured by Skeletor).

This also seems to fundamentally misunderstand something about the movie: it's not just a reversion of the original series: it's one of all of its lineage. The idea that a couple characters mean their seniors are being "erased" and history is being "rewritten," to be blunt, is utter nonsense. Introducing new elements to other Nintendo series hasn't ruined them, and neither have the inclusion of new characters in new Star Wars movies and Marvel Studios movies.

My advice is to try not to worry about what other people think, and wait until you see the movie yourself to determine how you'll react. I know I will be. I also have the Giratina movie lined up along with some bad mecha anime and another episode of Sonic X. I will also be seeing Spider-Man Homecoming soon, and I will be working on other material after I post this. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment