Thursday, July 27, 2017

Recap: Departure! Egg Fort II!


Hello again everyone, and given how it hasn’t been that long since the 26th anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog; I thought I would do another episode of Sonic X to help get ready for both Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces! While I’m not sure what system I want to get them on yet, I think both should definitely try to capture the zeitgeist of speed and platforming that made the series a hit in the first place as well as potentially appeal to new fans. The series has had quite the variation in quality over the years, but I can’t imagine either game being worse than the infamous 2006 entry. I also thought it would be good to take a breather with this after my bad mecha series. I’ve been wanting to do this episode for a while, so let’s open up “Departure! Egg Fort II!”


As usual, I will be basing my recap on the subtitled version. Even as someone who liked the dub as a kid, I am getting a lot of perspective from the original. A key example is the theme song: While “Gotta Go Fast” is still catchy, I am very surprised that I like “Sonic Drive” even more.






We open on the Egg Fort II, which has been completed after two weeks of work by Dr. Eggman and his minions Decoe and Bocoe! However, the two robots bemoan how essential they are to the show, but the viewers give all the attention to the heroes. On the contrary: every villain needs henchmen. Some are threatening, but I rather like these two in any language. They’re like the Japanese equivalent to Scratch and Grounder in that Sonic show I used to watch when I was younger.



After some banter between them all, we then get our title card. While I am working with a fansub of this episode; I am pleased the subs are actually better than the official subtitles I used for previous recaps of this anime.






So, everyone is on a cruise to the arctic; and everyone is relaxing except Sonic. He’s so tense, even asks Chris if he did something wrong!


If this is about the 2006 video game, Sega offered me too much money to say no!



Professor Thorndyke is also a bit deep into his cup. While 4Kids did try to change this part, digitally removing the redness on his face; I’m kind of getting an early Rick Sanchez vibe from this. I was initially skeptical, but I’m surprisingly amused by the idea of a character based on the simple question, “What if Dr. Emmett Brown was a misanthropic drunkard?” Decided to finally bite after that April fools’ joke of the season 3 premiere pre-empted Samurai Jack and all of Toonami a while ago.

I want that Mulan McNugget sauce, Morty!


While most of the crew, sans Sonic are able to relax, Amy asks “why can’t men simply be graceful and gorgeous?” Amy, given how things have gone lately; “graceful and gorgeous” have gone out the window.

Chris then suggests that the yacht is “too narrow and congested” for Sonic. Not entirely, Chris. While that helps, I think it has more to do with being in a big chunk of metal on the water, something he doesn’t like. So, putting him on a cruise is analogous to giving chocolate to a dog: one creature’s present is another’s poison.

He’s so down with cabin fever that he actually breaks subsonic speeds inside the boat! Now that’s funny.

Amy tries to talk him down by asking him his age, and Sonic replies that he’s 15; as he has been since 1991. While her persona does take some liberties with her character in the games, this does lead to a pretty funny metafictional joke about what it means for him to be a role model as the hero. While 4Kids did cut the joke, I already used Michael Haigney’s words on the matter for an earlier installment of “Shit CEOs Say,” so let’s move on.

Amy concludes that as a hero, he should have some self-awareness. I agree, some of my favorite games and versions in media have been portrayed like that. Even if the Sonic Boom games were pretty bad, the TV show is actually kind of decent in terms of animation; and some of the jokes are relatively amusing even if they do resemble a group of Teenage Mutant Ninja Hedgehogs at times.



The next day, while Sonic initially believes Chris’ butler has come to pick him up; he instead brings a bunch of senior citizens on the boat to join their trip as well! While their intent is to help everyone relax, Sonic wants no part of it! He tries to jump back to shore, to no avail. He even attempts this stunt multiple times! 


The other people on the boat mingle with the old folks; and Chris plays some chess with one of them! He even actually asks what the old man’s next move is rather than assume he can break the rules because of who he is! No, I am not letting you forget that, Sunrise; and I reject the leadership defense in an age of “Covfefe!” I take mine grey with creamium, by the way.


Tell me, do you enjoy movies about gladiators?



Sonic then starts formulating a plan to try and trick the other guests on the ship to call off the trip and head home! He starts by suggesting that something happened to the X Tornado, a refit of the Tornado airplane from the games.


He then tries to put the moves on Amy, which surprises her given how he’s usually reluctant!


How 'bout we head to Nathan's, grab a chili dog and head back to my cabin to watch The Notebook?



He even tries to put one over on Chris and his grandfather, and they express confusion over the matter. I ask the same question about why many media outlets are so biased against the series; even when they do put out good modern installments. Game Informer’s lukewarm take on Sonic Generations, for example (giving the game the same score as the much-maligned 2006 game didn’t help matters either).

Of course, the others find him out, and Sonic sheepishly slips away. After that, we get a somewhat amusing bit between Eggman, Decoe and Bocoe about what to call their new transport; before finally deciding on the Egg Fort II! I like the sound of that. Simple, effective, and marketable. 

Back on the mainland, we see the Messenger Robo, Bokkun try to visit Thorndyke Manor, but no one is home! He is then greeted by their maid Ella, and this common archetype is voiced by people you might not expect in either version. In Japanese: she’s voiced by actress Wakako “Kujira” Matsumoto, and in English: she’s voiced by my good friend Mike Pollock!


Initially dismayed there’s no one home, Bokkun decides to play a prank on Ella with one of his bombs! That little stinker! 



After a few more days on the water, the group reaches the glaciers they wanted to see; but Amy is still angry about Sonic’s prank. I can understand why, since even if Sonic doesn’t like water; he definitely could have handled that better.


Amy tries to knock Sonic out of the crow’s nest, but the Egg Fort II surfaces in front of them and Eggman describes the situation as “intolerable!” So, he has the same pool of insults as Professor Henry Jones. 



This is intolerable!



Thankfully, Sonic wanted to fight Eggman just as much as Eggman wanted to find him! He finally gets some excitement!

The Egg Fort II combines with its smaller modules, and Sonic decides to engage it on the ice caps! 


Then, all of a sudden, one of the old ladies chastises Sonic for running on the ice! Lady, he’s been running on ice since before you needed Depends. Also, why is she driving the boat? There are people in town who can barely handle those electric scooters they have on TV!

In addition to Sonic getting one up on the Egg Fort II, the professor also taught Ella how to pilot the X Tornado! Good thing, because she has a bone to pick with Bokkun for that prank!
As they’re sent blasting off by the X Tornado’s Cyclone Kick, Eggman asks what Bokkun did! Simple: He got a kindly housekeeper mad.

So, we close on Sonic reflecting over the battles of that day, and finally deciding to enjoy the cruise with the guests from the old folks home. Good an ending as any.





“Departure! Egg Fort II” may not be my favorite episode of Sonic X, but it is a good example of how much fun the series can be; and it makes good use of the video game source material even if it’s not always directly adapting their stories. I am not sure which versions of Mania and Forces I’ll get yet (depending on when I get a Switch, probably leaning towards the PS4 versions); but I can definitely expect I’ll enjoy them. The concepts presented look like they will be relatively good takes on their lineage as well as offer some good new material. At worst, I can’t imagine either game being worse than the infamous handling of Princess Elise. Next up is continuing my look at the Pokémon movies when I close out this month with my look at Giratina and the Sky Warrior! See you, space cowboy!


No comments:

Post a Comment