Thursday, November 23, 2017

Further Thoughts on Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

Alola everyone. Happy Thanksgiving to all my readers in the US.  Since I just got back from dinner with my family, I thought I would give you more of my thoughts on Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, from the first 24 hours of combined gameplay.

I think the most accurate comparison I can draw is one to Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: rather than a direct sequel or updated remake, the games are ones set in the same fictional universe; but tell a new story. I am currently training on Akala Island for more trials, and both of my Rowlet have evolved into Dartrix. They are Mako in Ultra Sun and Nite Owl II in Ultra Moon. I am also training my Rockruff DLC into the Dusk Lycanroc. I have also managed to get the QR code for the Movie 20 Pikachu; and I will tell you about my initial thoughts on the I Choose You movie after I watch it this Saturday.

Even as someone who's logged well over 800 hours into the original Sun and Moon, I appreciate the desire to shake things up for how long the series has been around. Even trials that I have already done have plenty of surprises in store, least of all my trials being interrupted by Team Skull thugs.

The graphics are also very slick and colorful, and I really enjoy the new elements being brought to the series with bigger environments and new clothing options for your player characters. When I saw the expanded areas of Melemele Island, my jaw dropped. I also like the whole '90s beach bum look of the player characters. While I am not sure what new and returning items I will be using most in my journey, I rather like the combination of the tank top, board shorts, bucket hat and running shoes that my players have by default. While I am still going to have much to overcome with the Ultra Recon Squad and the new trial with the artist Mina; I still submit the final games in the series for 3DS (and straight handheld consoles in general) should provide less of a bogus journey and more of an excellent adventure.


The games have also sold over 2 million copies in the US and Japan as of this writing, with 1.2 million in the US alone in its first 3 days on sale. While not as big as the last games, it's still nothing to sneeze at, and it's right next to Super Mario Odyssey for go-to Nintendo gifts this holiday season. With Black Friday and the Christmas shopping season upon us, not only are the games royally crushing Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters; the final pillar in that article I fact-checked has fallen.

With critical and commercial success now in place, the next game on Switch should be very interesting to see. I am glad that Nintendo and Game Freak are taking the time to make sure to work with the console rather than rush the game out for money. That will be all for now, I will make another post as I keep playing. Alola.

No comments:

Post a Comment