Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Recap: A Glaring Rivalry

Alola, everyone. This month sees a trio of big events for my Pokémon content here: the 1,000th episode of the anime, the release of the I Choose You movie in the US, and the release of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon on the 3DS. As a way to get ready for them all, I thought I would do something that could help celebrate the milestone and the game release before I get back to my work on the movies. I shall do a positive look at one of my favorite episodes of Sun and Moon so far, which shall also help me detox from “Training Daze.” So, let’s open up “A Glaring Rivalry” and celebrate. 


We open on the recurring Team Skull grunts squatting in an alley, and apparently their names are Rapp, Tupp and Zipp; changed slightly from their counterparts to avoid legal problems with people who make plastic storage containers. Interesting rationale, and not the first time they’ve done this either.



Also, apparently Billy Bob Thompson’s voice for Tupp is an impression of Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad. Yes, folks, I am a man that likes both a silly kids’ anime about a video game and a dark TV series about a terminally ill meth lord; and that is a sentence I just typed.





Anyway, we see the appearance of Gladion, and I have been wanting to talk about this episode for some time because of how he’s been one of my favorite parts of Generation VII. As I mentioned before, he’s already made great strides in rectifying my disappointment with Alain. If Yajima compared him to Anakin Skywalker, then Gladion is definitely like Kylo Ren to me in how he’s written.


Gladion doesn’t even bat an eye at the Skull Grunts’ threats, and is able to take their Pokémon out with a single strike from his Midnight Lycanroc’s Stone Edge!

Wasted

The Skull Grunts realize they’re outmatched, and just decide to bail.




After the opening sequence and title card, we see Ash practicing training with some of his Pokémon before he heads to Pokémon academy. Also, the students ask if the Pokémon are playing “Charjabug train.” I don’t know, looks like a standard conga line to me. 






As they have lunch, Kiawe and Sophocles discuss a powerful trainer with a Midnight Lycanroc that’s been around the island lately. I actually like the dialogue structure in this series. Much like the games they’re adapting, it feels very unique, especially with their seniors in mind.


So this was a valued rug, this was a-? "Yeah man, it really tied the room together."


As Lana and Mallow speculate further about this person, the conga line actually uses Kiawe’s Turtonator as a transition to the city! Isn’t that amusing? Also, the sailor resembling the trainer class from the original games is a nice touch.

I can't stands no more!


While Ash, Pikachu and Roto are picking up groceries, we see Gladion is indeed the young man everyone is talking about, and his Midnight Lycanroc is able to wreck the sailor’s Blastoise despite a type disadvantage! 



SHORYUKEN!



Ash is amazed by his strength and skill, but Lillie comes up right then! Gladion turns to Lillie as if to say, “I told you not to expound in public.”



What’s more, it turns out that Gladion is her brother! What a twist! 



Anyway, Ash requests a battle from Gladion; and Gladion agrees when the time is right for him. While the character is a bit different from how he’s portrayed in the games, it’s an effective enough change that it works in the show’s favor. It’s not that different from my head canon version of the character either, which is influenced by Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter, Hob from Robocop 2 and Eric Draven from The Crow. 






At Lillie’s house, it’s revealed that it’s been six months since Gladion left home; which is also related to an accident that she has repressed memories of. I’m not spoiling exactly what happened, but I will say that it’s going to be important to the events of the 1,000th episode. You can count on that. 

It’s also revealed that he and their butler, Hobbes helped tend to an injured Eevee; which is heavily implied but not outright stated to be the Umbreon he has now. 

As we see the family portrait of him, Lillie and Lusamine, I still have to wonder the same thing even though more has been revealed and more still lies ahead: How could a boy like that be so consumed by the desire for rage and vengeance?






Back at Kukui’s lab, Ash is amazed by the story behind Gladion, as am I. Also, I want that Rowlet shirt he has as part of his casual outfit.




Before Ash gets a message from Gladion to tell him to meet for their battle at dawn, I also like how they use another Wimpod on the beach for a transition. Bet Guzma’s happy there. Even though this animation test by Iwane has given me a lot to think about, I am still wondering how the series will handle him. We shall see. 





Team Rocket, who I forgot to mention where impressed by Gladion’s skill in an earlier scene; are also scheming yet again. I especially like how chipper Jessie is compared to James, Meowth and Wobuffet. It’s like contrasting morning people and those who need their caffeine.





Gladion meets Ash’s challenge, drawing his Ultra Ball from his distressed leather outfit as if he were in an old Sonic Youth video. 


Tell me about it! Hit 'em where it hurts!


I must say, the battle is actually quite impressive despite the revamped story structure and artwork. As a fan of other anime with western influences (One Piece being a big example of that), I went into this series with a lot more optimism than many other fans at the time, and I’m glad the initial furor over the whole thing has died down somewhat. 

Team Rocket is watching the battle with great interest, as I am. What are you fellas up to now?






Surprise surprise! They just decide to launch a net from a truck while Wobuffet rides shotgun! Remind me not to ride anywhere with them. 









As they chase down the truck, Gladion has his Umbreon shoot out the tires of the truck with Dark Pulse, and the truck crashes so hard that it breaks an axle! There goes the deposit on that.





Gladion then finishes off Team Rocket when he activates his Z-Move for Midnight Lycanroc: Continental Crush! That is going to kill the Blue Book value for that truck.




Although Team Rocket tried to sneak away before Bewear woke up, it still catches them blasting off! Very amusing new gag. Again: sometimes you eat the ‘bar, and sometimes; much obliged, he eats you.




Ash is impressed by the Z-move, and Gladion encourages Ash to undergo the grand trial on Akala Island to get the crystal he needs. Again, I disagree with the Unova comparisons as someone who liked that saga; and believe it’s closer to the style of the Orange Islands.

I also like this scene with Ash’s Rockruff getting petted by Gladion’s Midnight Lycanroc. A dog petting a smaller dog: what a strange place this is.




Gladion departs before Lillie can meet with him, much to her chagrin; and we close and Ash and Lillie heading to the Pokémon Academy, eager for the time they meet again!


Gladion will return in Black Panther.



“A Glaring Rivalry” is a strong introduction to Gladion as a rival, and easily the character I wanted Alain to be. It helps that both versions cast a better voice actor, and the character is actually using plot elements that weren’t totally utilized with Alain. He doesn’t seem to have any affiliation with Team Skull, but he is much more noble in his relationships with people and Pokémon; fighting off Team Rocket and the recurring Team Skull grunts. Most of all, he has more than enough qualities that make me want to find out more about his character. He’s like a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a bleached haircut and red sneakers. As I said before: Gladion succeeds as a rival where Alain failed.



The animation is also very impressive, and his appearance as a more serious rival is highlighted by downplaying the appearances of Team Rocket and the recurring Team Skull grunts. Ash’s classmates only appear in one scene in the entire episode. Moreover, they don’t appear at all for their next meeting in episode 47; and the more comedic Pokémon of Ash’s roster such as his Rowlet are left behind to suit the story. I won’t spoil it here, but when you see it; you’ll know what I’m talking about.

It’s been a Hell of a year, but with the release of the I Choose You movie, the 1,000th episode airing in Japan and 10 days left to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon; I will post this to celebrate as well as continue my work on the movies. I just have to do the XY series films before I watch the movie on Disney XD; since I don’t think I will be able to get into a theatrical showing even with more added. That, and Thor Ragnarok just came out, so my next pieces will be out after I see that and work on my remaining work for CJS. That will be all for now. See you, space cowboy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment