Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Pokémon Tops 300 Million Copies Sold+Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon First 48 Hours.

Alola everyone. First, I want everyone to know what I am working on my favorite episode of My Hero Academia as we speak. You should hopefully see it before too long. Second, I am just about done with my class term for the year. After I take my last test, I should be able to work on my plans for Christmas; least of all, my full look at Pokémon the Movie I Choose You.

On that note, this post will address two big pieces of subject matter for me. I mentioned in an earlier post that the last pillar of that article I fact-checked fell; so this news has effectively taken a sledgehammer to what was left. The Pokémon series has officially passed a combined 300 million copies sold across the board as of the release of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. While not as big as the last games, they still cracked over 1 million units in both Japan and the US in their first three days on the market; and they're still climbing as the Christmas shopping season begins. With Super Mario Odyssey also selling over 2 million units in its first 3 days; I was totally right about the two: rather than competing in different genres and different consoles; they coexist and share the spotlight among the most-wanted Nintendo games this year.

So, I will once again detail more of my experiences in the first 48 hours of combined gameplay. I just underwent the trial in Hokulani Observatory in Ultra Sun, and I am about to take it with Sophocles and Molayne in Ultra Moon (as well as call Nintendo again about something going on with the power of my device).

Even as someone who has logged well over 800 hours combined into the previous installments of Generation VII, I am still finding new things to enjoy in the games. Even if you've played the previous ones; there are many shakeups to be had to the experience. Some of the trials play out differently, such as the ones at Wela Volcano Park under Kiawe and in the Lush Jungle under Mallow. Regardless whether or not you're a newcomer or longtime fan, your skills will be tested. There is still a learning curve to those used to gym battles, but some of the new features are welcome; such as redesigned puzzles and the ability to recruit powerful "Totem Pokémon" in battle. I haven't tried the latter yet, but it should be pretty fun (just working on collecting enough stickers first).

The graphics push the hardware of the 3DS to its limit, something that not only amazes me as someone who's playing since Blue (which were in black and white, or monochrome color if you had a Game Boy color at the time), but manages to rekindle the spirit of myself as a young boy; whose eyes were full of wonder.

I am also still not spoiling too much about the story, so I recommend that you go play the games yourself if you're curious. I will say that some of the changes made might surprise you, especially with the Ultra Recon Squad and Team Rainbow Rocket joining the fray of Team Skull and the Aether Foundation.

I am also eager to try some of the new "Z-Power Moves," since I just got the Lycanium-Z from Hau. I named my Dusk Lycanroc after some of my old family dogs (Max in Ultra Sun, Shadow in Ultra Moon), I just need to teach them Stone Edge and I'll really be cooking with gas. I also like the design, since it combines the Midday and Midnight forms as well as adds other flourishes such as orange fur and green eyes.

The gameplay also is the culmination of everything that has been done on handheld consoles to this point, and even though there are still some detractors (who I am once again referring to collectively as "Mitch Connor"), the press seems to be giving uniformly positive reviews to the games, and I have a sneaking suspicion a fair amount of them might just be trolls. I once again find it odd that while many are willing to accept changes in other Nintendo franchises, this one still gets so much heat for wanting to do something different. Apparently, they have no problem with Mario donning an enchanted hat and taking control of other creatures; but the Global Missions have a rocky start and they almost have an aneurysm over the series allegedly being "bastardized."

Personally, if they didn't shake things up for new installments; we'd all still be playing "Pong," I'd be wearing a "Members Only" jacket and typing this on an old Amiga. I will not be addressing these people by name, since I used to hold that mindset and I have been trying to move past it for a very long time. The idea that the series has been "bastardized beyond recognition," to be blunt; is utter nonsense.

I have heavily enjoyed these games so far, and I hope to keep playing them as I work on my projects for the remainder of the year and hopefully get this power issue with my 3DS rectified soon. I will hopefully have my look at my favorite episode of "My Hero Academia" done soon, so I can have the slate clean for December. Alola, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment