Monday, November 6, 2017

Blog Update: Crunchyroll Hacked, Detective Pikachu Movie, Death Note Netflix Sequel Rumors?

Hello everyone. I am working on my next recaps, and while I do that, I thought I would share some happenings I haven't addressed yet in a blog update of sorts.

First, is something that caught me by surprise, since it happened so suddenly: Crunchyroll has been hacked, and their website's URL redirects to a link that has malware in it, which is normally a problem associated with an incalculable number of unofficial sites. Fortunately, they are working to fix this, and the hack hasn't affected the application; which I have downloaded on my PS4 and my Wii U. I will regrettably have to delay my look at my favorite episode of My Hero Academia until it's fixed, but I will try to watch the rest of season 1 on my consoles as well as some of season 2 to get ready.
Update: It seems that the hack is currently being addressed by the owners of the website, and the malware primarily targets Windows users. You can read more about what to do on Anime News Network here.
Update 2: As of November 14, it seems that the site is up and running again, and I should be able to work on my favorite episode of My Hero Academia before too long.

Second, are some things that I haven't addressed yet about the Detective Pikachu movie. The film will begin shooting in January 2018, and even though I still have mixed feelings about Rob Letterman as director; I certainly hope that the film is good. I also think that it might work to bring the game to the 3DS eShop around that time, since it did relatively well in Japan and it would have an audience here. Also, while Danny Devito is not being cast (largely because didn't know about the series when he found out about the fan petition), Legendary is seeking a big-name actor for the title role. Some potential choices include Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Ryan Reynolds, and Hugh Jackman. I would be fine with any of these; since having an Oscar-winning actor, the Rock, Deadpool or Wolverine voice Pikachu would be every bit as awesome to me as it sounds. I also would have no objections to Benedict Cumberbatch, if they were so inclined. "I am a high-functioning Pikachu, with your number..." (Grins)

Finally, is something that I am really skeptical about. Despite the Netflix remake of Death Note getting a universally negative reception from critics and fans of the source material, there are still rumors of a sequel given how the film ended. Apart from the things I said in my riff on the movie, I honestly doubt this will get made for multiple reasons. While Wingard initially brushed off the criticism he got for the movie, the more hostile critics of the film wouldn't stop hounding him; and he was ultimately forced to delete his Twitter account as a result. On top of that, the film made so many changes that it rivals Eragon in how many more changes would have to be made (especially if they were to include Near or Mello), short of just giving the franchise a reboot. Personally, I think there's as much chance for a cinematic universe from this film as there is for Carnival Magic (if you'll pardon me referencing a Netflix relaunch that doesn't totally suck). It's honestly one of the most incoherent and unintentionally hilarious adaptations of a Japanese source material since Power Rangers Super Mega Force, and I type that as someone who actually liked that show.

Long story short, it's just that at this point: a rumor. It might be true, and it might not. Regardless of what Netflix actually plans to do next, there's about as much chance for a sequel as the Dark Universe. Dafoe's Ryuk is probably going to join James Marsters' Piccolo, Summer Bishil's Azula and ScarJo's Major on the island of misfit live-action characters. That will be all for now, and I will try to get you my next pieces I have planned after I take my next test in CJS. See you, space cowboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment