Tuesday, September 5, 2017

My Thoughts on Brock and Misty in Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon.

Hello everyone. First off, I regret to inform you that I haven't been able to get as much done on my look at "Fire Starter" as I intended; since in addition to the usual weather this time of year, we're experiencing an unseasonable heat wave and intermittent fires messing with my head and my connection. Ironic, given the subject matter of my next part of my FLCL marathon. As a result, I am about 20-25% done with it, and I hope to have it out soon.

On a more positive note, I thought I would share my thoughts on the appearance of Brock and Misty in the upcoming episodes of Pokémon The Series: Sun and Moon. This will involve taking a brief look at the extended preview as well as offering my thoughts on the matter both as a longtime fan and as someone who's been very appreciative of how Generation VII has shaken up the usual conventions of the series as well as the "mon" genre in order to compete with the upstart Yo-Kai Watch (side note: still holding off on doing the episodes I haven't tapped yet until I hear more and get done with my plans. However, Disney XD only advertising Pokémon and Beyblade for their anime block doesn't bode well).

Even though the preview is only a bit over 2 minutes, there's a lot to address in that time. In addition to the anime showing how much has changed since the original series; there will also be some flashback sequences animated in the new art style for the Sun and Moon series. This screencap of the episode "Bye Bye Butterfree" (which I really love, but not entirely sure if I want to give a positive recap like I did with "Pikachu's Goodbye") is a very nice example of this.





I must say, the perspective they give to moments such as this mini-arc involving getting Larvitar to a nature preserve with its family is quite intriguing (probably not doing the whole arc, but there is one episode that stands out at me that I'm considering after Gold and Silver come out on Virtual Console).






Of course, these also include two of the most emotional moments from two of my favorite episodes of Johto. Even with all the heat that saga got in certain segments, what worked about it; really worked for me, as shown from this moment from my favorite episode: "Charizard's Burning Ambitions" (I may consider a positive look at it in the near future, but that will most likely be after I'm done with my look at the movies).




Last but not least, is the true finale to the original series, "Gotta Catch Ya Later," which definitely had a lot more as conclusion to a narrative people followed and loved for years. Even if my associate Dogasu didn't like the episode, I will not hold it against him (nor with the new movie, I may have a different takeaway than him as I have before). "Hoenn Alone" felt more like an action prologue for AG, and I could easily re-edit as such. Still, it was the first time that everything changed: even if I didn't want to accept it at the time, I knew I would always enjoy my experiences; and so would they.








However, as time goes by; many can revisit something they loved as a child, and this can definitely be akin to saying; "welcome back, we missed you." This isn't the first time they've done this, but like many others; it makes me glad I took this opportunity to revisit the series, much like the material I did for the 20th anniversary of the franchise overall last year.







The rationale for this pair of episodes will be a school trip to the Kanto region, which everyone is ecstatic about.










Now, I will give some of my thoughts on something I'm looking forward to, however temporary: the return of the original companions!





Naturally, after Ash and his classmates from Alola land; Brock not only greets his friend, but also tries to enchant a young woman!




Misty, not amused, redirects him to who they're really meeting again. Even though it's been a while since they've appeared in the series (not counting flashbacks or side stories), I definitely enjoy how the characters mesh relatively well with the new animation style; and I look forward to seeing how they interact with the new cast members from Alola.




The episodes will also see the return of fan favorite Pokémon such as Ash's Bulbasaur, as well as others such as Jigglypuff; who was a recurring character from Kanto all the way to the first season of Advanced! It also does a good job of contrasting the original monsters with their redesigned "Alola forms," to make absolutely sure I'm not getting too deep into the "member berries."




The episodes are also teasing battles with the mega evolutions of Misty's Gyarados and Brock's Steelix, as well as many other potential fun details. Even with many fans having mixed feelings towards the way they're handling this, I still submit that I'm looking forward to the two-parter as a longtime fan and as someone whose open-mindedness towards Generation VII is being rewarded. I can definitely expect to enjoy the episodes in some capacity, and I will definitely consider taking a look at them after I'm done with my look at the movies (I don't expect them to be dubbed for a while). At worst, I can't imagine them being more disappointing than The Legend of Thunder.

So, as soon as I post this; I will get back to my look at the Victini movies and my FLCL marathon already in progress. That will be all for now. Bang.

No comments:

Post a Comment